PDA

View Full Version : Cleo's lump

Kazz
26-11-2005, 05:20 PM
This is what Cleo's lump looks like now it is only about 1/2 the size it was before but growing. :?
It just pushes its way through her fur.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/kazz76/Captured2005-11-2600006.jpg

Mags
26-11-2005, 05:23 PM
I've never seen anything like that before Kazz......did you say the last one burst on it's own?

dinahsmum
26-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Did the vet get a chance to see it before Kazz?
Is it just an 'old' thing - body not doing as well at dealing with a minor skin irritation or whatever?

Kazz
26-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Yep as you know we went to the vets and they said wait and see (due I know to her age) but yes it burst of its own accord horrible pus stuff, and a little blood she was no way bothered a little off colour but nothing you would worry about. (Now if you know me you know you know how I worry)

However it is coming back now. I am not bothered as she isnt either. I may just stop worrying.:roll:

dinahsmum
26-11-2005, 05:33 PM
I'd try not to worry too.
(Perhaps try to get her to lie on an old towel if she sleeps on your bed :smt078)

Kazz
26-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Oh yes DM the vet saw it about every couple of months or so from when it was hardly noticable till the week it burst. But I have to say its grown quicker this time.
I am not taking her back to the vets this side of Christmas unless something "untoward" happens to it.

And DM I get the feeling it is an "age" thing. Just a gut feeling. The only thing I can say is its the same place excatly where when she was 3 she was shot, by an air rifle the pellet lodged in her should just there, but the pellet came out of its own accord about 7 years later. I did not know there was still a pellet there I though all that time it was a little "chip in the bone" from the pellet.

Oh just to let you know the lad who shot her was 18 and after I was persuaded by the police officers to put him down (I had pinned him to the wall) I told him "shoot my cat or anycat and no police force in the country or
world would stop me from killing you" :-D As you do.

Karen
Karen

dinahsmum
26-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Oh just to let you know the lad who shot her was 18 and after I was persuaded by the police officers to put him down (I had pinned him to the wall) I told him "shoot my cat or anycat and no police force in the country or world would stop me from killing you" :-D As you do. Karen
Karen

Why does that not suprise me?

Kazz
26-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Why does that not suprise me?

I have no idea DM, I mean the policeman actually said to him - "and I'll let her."

Not sure why as he would not with the best will in the world have been able to stop me. I promise you that.

Karen

Naomi
26-11-2005, 06:02 PM
I'd worry if it was Moli but that's only cos I've got a bit paranoid when it comes to lumps after what happened to Tam1 :roll:

Fran
26-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Hmmm, what is the vet's gut instinct this is Kazz...did he say it could come back?

Kazz
26-11-2005, 09:30 PM
The vets gut instinct was leave well alone. So I am

Fran
26-11-2005, 09:31 PM
The vets gut instinct was leave well alone. So I am

Would antibiotics help Kazz?

Kazz
26-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Apparently its a cyst, so I doubt it. Like DM said it could well be one of those old age things.

I am going back to the vet in the week.

Fran
26-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Yes I think if it was me Kazz, I'd like a second opinion as to what it actually is and if there would be any 'safe' treatments available for her...let us know how you get on

Tom
26-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Awwww Kazz poor Cleo x x let us know how it goes on x

Tom x

borderdawn
27-11-2005, 10:22 AM
I'd also be inclined to leave it alone if its not causing her any bother.
Dawn.

Chickadeedeedee
27-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Hi Kazz.

The picture of Cleo's lump indeed looks like a cyst! They are usually benign and don't turn into cancer or anything more evil than a fluid filled pouch.

The only way to get rid of it permanently would be to surgically remove the cyst as the lining of the thing is what generates the fluid within. Sometimes a local irritant may be the cause for it ... like being shot? :shock:

The cyst can be drained with a needle on a syringe and withdraw the fluid. I have seen where if a small amount of an antibiotic is then introduced into the cyst it may be enough th damage the fluid making mechanism of the cyst and it will take much longer for it to refill. Of course the cyst tissue still remains.

The only real concern about leaving the cyst would be if she scratches it open she may introduce an infection to the site. If she is at risk for anesthesia then like everyone else suggested, if it doesn't bother her and it doesn't bother you then just leave it.

C3D

Kazz
27-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Ta for that, you see when she was spayed she reacted badly to the anthestic, and again when she had her a tooth removed and the remainder cleaned.
So we are loathe at her age now 23 to put her under anthestic, but will leave it and see if it goes its own course? like previously. If an infection happens then I will have to reconsider my options.

Karen

Jac
27-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Kazz
I get cysts on my head and other parts of my body. I have had a few removed but.....the thing is, if they dont get the whole thing out, they will re-grow. Due to age, I would say leave well alone. A doc told me they are a sweat gland that has blocked, so it fills up til it bursts. Dont worry about it.
Ive had seven removed from my scalp, one from the back of my hand, one from my foot (but none from my brain lol)

Moli
27-11-2005, 05:33 PM
So many vets want to remove every lump they see, mines a bit like that!Mollie had a small lump that I was advised to have removed, I kept putting cream on it and it disappeared!

Kazz
27-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Thats it though Moli. My vet does not want to remove anything they say leave it alone.:roll: Vets eh, you just can't give them money.

Karen

Chickadeedeedee
27-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Kazz,

Another option would be to quickly snip off the cyst with just a local anesthetic ! A few stitches and you're done. Then you can take Cleo home within 15 minutes and not need to worry about the thing any longer! Do you think that's an option?

C3D

Kazz
27-11-2005, 05:55 PM
No idea I am going back this week sometime.

Sometimes I think I worry when worrying is not needed. She is happy, eating, drinking, playing when the mood takes her, still bossing her brother about, and talking to us.

Maybe its best to leave well alone, she doe not scratch as such neither of them has ever had fleas/ticks, etc and are wormed regularly, and health in general is good. So I may well leave well alone :-D