PDA

View Full Version : Cat heated pads anyone any info?

deester
18-11-2005, 10:03 PM
I'm looking into getting some heated pads for my cats the type that are plugged in and heat up when they sit on them. I don't really know anything about them and wondered if anyone had any info on how safe they are, cost, where to purchase and generally if they're any good? Any information for or against would be much appreciated.

Mags
18-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Sorry Deester I don't know anything about them but Im sure there must be someone here who does.....

John
18-11-2005, 10:20 PM
sorry deester i dont anything about them but think they would come in very handy

CathyW
18-11-2005, 10:33 PM
im my cats heated pad,they lay on me and keep warm:D

Mags
18-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Good one BM!!:lol:

MBll
18-11-2005, 10:36 PM
I know there are wee heat pads that you put in the microwave & I think keep the heat in for 2 or 3 hours, you can get them in petshops.

deester
18-11-2005, 10:42 PM
My best friend has one as her cats live outside but have a shed to go in but she keeps finding a hedgehog on it. I know she got hers through her vet but I thought maybe they'ed be cheaper elsewhere.

Mags
18-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Deester is this the sort of thing you mean?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=511

Fran
18-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Great web site that Mags!! I love this :cool:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm? pcatid=1475&Ne=40000&N=2002+22729

think Lucky would like one of those ;)

edited to say it won't load the page- it was the cup one..

John
18-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Hi Mags ..how did you find this ...I think my millie would love one of these beds.

Mags
18-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Hi Mags ..how did you find this ...I think my millie would love one of these beds.
I just put 'cat heat pads' into google John and it came up with loads!

deester
18-11-2005, 11:23 PM
Wow thats a fantastic site thanks mags, they don't seem that expensive either and don't cost much to run... sounds purr...fect... sorry had to be done! lol

Mags
18-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Wow thats a fantastic site thanks mags, they don't seem that expensive either and don't cost much to run... sounds purr...fect... sorry had to be done! lol
....sounds like they will serve the purr...pose Deester!!:lol:

Kim
19-11-2005, 08:28 PM
I have one for my cats, have had it for quite a few years now. I can't remember where I got it from, but I think I bought it from the Supreme Cat Show. The cats love it, I have never had any problems and it doesn't cost much to run. I am sure your cats will think they are in seventh heaven!!

smudgley
20-11-2005, 10:24 AM
I use 3 types of heating. (not all at the same time - wouldn't want to cook them :roll: )
a)overhead heatlamp - good, throw off lots of heat but big & bulky & have to be secured properly.
b)heat-pad electric type, that warm up when the cat sits on them, they do work but they are expensive to buy & I think because most cats don't weigh much - they don't really heat up that much.(unless you got a huge fat cat to put his big bum on it)
c)heated snuggle pads -microwave type. These are fantastic I think. They are made of hard plastic & come with a fleece cover, they go in the micro for a few mins & will stay warm for 12 hours (yes 12hours) they are really good & the best form of heating IMO.
Edit to add ~ just remembered what else is good. I have also got some pieces of thermo-vet bed. It is like normal vetbed, but inside is a (?) something (?) that holds the heat (looks like a thick layer of tinfoil) & they are good & fully washable. The cats will always lie on them as opposed to other beds given a choice - so I pressume they work.

deester
20-11-2005, 01:05 PM
thats very helpful... thankyou all for your help on this, i didn't realise the plastic discs stayed warm for 12 hours that may me the best option... think i could do with one too.

smudgley
20-11-2005, 01:27 PM
I use them a lot & find them great for kittens.

Mags
20-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Where do you buy the plastic disc ones from Smudgley?

smudgley
20-11-2005, 01:52 PM
Any big petstore Mags - they are called Snuggle pads - worth their weight in gold if you ask me.:cool:

Mags
20-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks Smudgley, I think I'll get one for Cassie.........it's brilliant that they stay warm for that long!

dinahsmum
20-11-2005, 02:01 PM
These sound great - if for no other reason than they should keep cats off the bed! Both cats slept downstairs by the still-cosy log fire last night and I had my best night's sleep for ages

borderdawn
20-11-2005, 02:59 PM
We use heated beds at work, cats adore them, the owners peel their pets off when they leave. We get them from here, they work on a thermostat and are next to nothing to run.
http://www.catac.co.uk/html/productlist.asp?id=4
Dawn.

samwise
20-11-2005, 06:04 PM
They had heat pads at the cattery I used to take my last cat to! She used to look at me with disgust and not want to move when I picked her up!

Fran
20-11-2005, 07:03 PM
We use heated beds at work, cats adore them, the owners peel their pets off when they leave. We get them from here, they work on a thermostat and are next to nothing to run.
http://www.catac.co.uk/html/productlist.asp?id=4
Dawn.

The link won't work for me :(

Mags
20-11-2005, 07:06 PM
The link won't work for me :(
It won't work for me either Fran:(

borderdawn
20-11-2005, 07:46 PM
OH POO!
The whole site isnt working for me, even the home page, will try again later.
Dawn.

dinahsmum
21-11-2005, 10:13 AM
This has been a really useful thread and has prompted me to do something about keeping elderly cats warm overnight and keeping the humans bed uncluttered with felines and allowing them to sleep! :)
I've just ordered the microwave pads from www.indigopets.co.uk (http://www.indigopets.co.uk) . They are £19.99 each, free p&p over £36. Delivery 3-4 days, it says, so I'll let you know.

BTW if anyone else orders from the site, it asks where you heard about them, so please enter CatPages and maybe Az will get a bit of advertising revenue from them?
:cat21

Moli
21-11-2005, 10:39 AM
I have a microwave hot water bottle, think I might heat that up and put it in the cats bed!!!

dinahsmum
24-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Update

Well, I ordered on Tuesday and the microwave Snugglesafe have arrived this morning, so I can't fault the service from Indigopets. Both my old ladies appear to be happy with their gifts, but they are just sitting and surveying the world with warm bottoms; as I said on 'The Shred' it's nothing like as cold this morning, so they are not in curl up and hibernate mode. I'll have a better idea after tonight whether they really like the heat-pads. :cat21

Further update - 1 hour on

They luv 'em. Both snuggled down asleep, looking soooo cosy and comfortable.

Mags
24-11-2005, 12:47 PM
How about a pic of them warming their little botts DM?:cat10

dinahsmum
24-11-2005, 01:18 PM
OK - pics in picture section.
Cats visible - pads not!

The Piddler
24-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Dee ~ I have seen these for sale in larger pet retail stores and they look like quite the thing.
I use 'rice bags' - you take old flannel in the size you want your pad to be and sew 'tubes' in it - fill with uncooked rice enough to how you want - then hand sew up the remaining end. Heat these up in the microwave and they stay warm for a couple of hours. My kitties love them
*I am terrible at providing directions*

dinahsmum
24-11-2005, 03:06 PM
Now 5 hours+ and no movement from the old birds - except a rhythmic and contented heavy breathing as they continue their all-day naps! ...to be followed by supper and then all-night sleep and breakfast and all-day naps! :)

dinahsmum
24-11-2005, 05:48 PM
8 hours and Tizzie hasn't moved!
She is still breathing - have just checked!

Mags
24-11-2005, 06:51 PM
I think Tizzie may be awake all night after this long sleep DM!:roll: :lol:

dinahsmum
25-11-2005, 09:02 AM
OK - unreserved recommendation for these wonderful inventions! They do stay warm for 12 hours+ and the cats just luuuurve them. Tizzie slept downstairs on hers all night. They would be very good for really elderly or sick animals - or if you were travelling in bad weather.
They are miles better than the 'human' micro-hot water bottles, which I find don't stay warm enough long enough. :cat21

Mags
25-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Well done DM, very good promotion.....I will be putting my order in!!