PDA

View Full Version : (posting for a friend) siamese problems

Luke
17-11-2005, 10:03 AM
a friend of mine has a 7 month old lilac point siamese tom, un-neutered. Now he was the sweetest thing when he was tiny but just latley he has become obbsessive, he attacks guests (yes i had my neck slashed by him:shock: ) he bites his owners, he destroys things hs favourite thing being wallpaper, generally he is a nightmare. I said maybe neutering could fix some of his behaviour but they wish to use him as a stud cat so that isnt an option, but with this as the acception, is there anything else she can do to stop him from being so viscious and destructive?

ETA they also have a 9 stone saint bernard, who runs when Jinx comes at him, just to give you an insight into his mayhem causing

dinahsmum
17-11-2005, 10:40 AM
JMO but this is no example of a breed to be used as a stud! Who would want to potentially pass on those charming character traits?
I'd get him neutered asap!
As I said, JMO. Maybe someone will come along with a theory based on experience - but we haven't really got any breeders her, have we?

Fran
17-11-2005, 11:03 AM
Luke, your friends should not be using a cat with this temperament as a stud!! He will likely pass his aggressive tendancies onto his offspring. They need to get him neutered and as soon as possible because this behaviour if left will become part habit ie he will become so used to being aggressive that despite neutering the aggression may continue....please, please encourage them to get him neutered asap!

Fran
17-11-2005, 11:04 AM
JMO but this is no example of a breed to be used as a stud! Who would want to potentially pass on those charming character traits?
I'd get him neutered asap!
As I said, JMO. Maybe someone will come along with a theory based on experience - but we haven't really got any breeders her, have we?

Just read your post DM...excellent advice. Whilst I don't proclaim to know very much about breeding cats, it would be the same in dogs and I do breed them. I would never, never breed from any dog with this sort of temperament!!

Moli
17-11-2005, 11:12 AM
I had the same problem with Ollie, he was a nasty boy from day one,lashes out, bites, just generally not nice..I had him neutered at months, he has settled, but still can be nasty....Would never breed with a cat like him...

Het
17-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Neutering obviously would calm him down, but he also sounds bored and/or stressed to me. Siamese are very interactive cats and like a lot of stimulation in my experience.They are also extremely sensitive and becoming destructive is a sign of their unhappiness. Is he allowed outdoors? Has anything changed in the household that may be stressing him, is he getting enough attention? Perhaps as a kitten he was played with a lot and now that hes older hes been abandoned a bit - or he feels like hes been abandoned.They should try and nip this in the bud before these problems become too ingrained, they could try herbal drops to calm him down and de-stress him in the short term.
Of course It may well be that he is just an anti social cat...some are.

dinahsmum
17-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Neutering obviously would calm him down, but he also sounds bored and/or stressed to me. Siamese are very interactive cats and like a lot of stimulation in my experience.They are also extremely sensitive and becoming destructive is a sign of their unhappiness. Is he allowed outdoors? Has anything changed in the household that may be stressing him, is he getting enough attention? Perhaps as a kitten he was played with a lot and now that hes older hes been abandoned a bit - or he feels like hes been abandoned.They should try and nip this in the bud before these problems become too ingrained, they could try herbal drops to calm him down and de-stress him in the short term

That sounds like sound advice Het, especially the 'I'm bored cos you don't pay attention like when I was a kitty' bit.

Fran
17-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Neutering obviously would calm him down, but he also sounds bored and/or stressed to me. Siamese are very interactive cats and like a lot of stimulation in my experience.They are also extremely sensitive and becoming destructive is a sign of their unhappiness. Is he allowed outdoors? Has anything changed in the household that may be stressing him, is he getting enough attention? Perhaps as a kitten he was played with a lot and now that hes older hes been abandoned a bit - or he feels like hes been abandoned.They should try and nip this in the bud before these problems become too ingrained, they could try herbal drops to calm him down and de-stress him in the short term.
Of course It may well be that he is just an anti social cat...some are.

Some good points to take into account there Het...

Luke
17-11-2005, 12:12 PM
i think het has hit the nail on the head, he isnt allowed outside and they barely bother with him. He can be so sweet at times but at others he is like a nightmare, and i will pass on all your advice to my friend
best wishes