PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding

Luke
14-11-2005, 10:04 AM
well this morning we had a shock Elsa's litter tray was covered in blood and so was her bum, she was leaking blood from her rear end and is lying mewing her head off in pain, we are ringing the vets now to book her in for a.s.a.p i just hope it isn't anything to serious,:( :(

Moli
14-11-2005, 10:11 AM
I had the same with Oliver when I first got him Luke, I took him to the vet she wormed him, and told me not to give him sachets with gravy or jelly in them, what I was feeding him was too rich, I put him on steamed fish and chicken and that sorted his tum out...Hope wee Elsa is ok....Let us know what the vet say's....

Het
14-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Hope shes ok Luke,poor little girl. I'm sure its just a tummy upset and they will be able to sort her out, shes a toughie;)

Luke
14-11-2005, 10:18 AM
it isnt looking good, she has just collapsed so the vet has told us to take her straight in :(:(

EmmaG
14-11-2005, 10:20 AM
Oh Luke, I know what you are going through, Arthur did this to me about 5 months ago, and I was so frightened, I rushed him to the vets and they said that he must had eaten something that didn't agree with him, cats can produce blood like that if they are stressed or disagree with their food. My vet told me it was more common than most people realise. Christ it is frightening though..

Keeping my fingers crossed for her :)

Naomi
14-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Luke my fingers are crossed here. Sox did that when I first got him, poor soul was too scared to go to the toilet as when he did he bled :(

His was an upset tum and it cleared up in a couple of days. I hope there is nothing seriously wrong with wee Elsa :(

Fran
14-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Thinking of you Luke.....let us know how things go x x

yola
14-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Oh my gosh Luke . . . I hope you're at the vet now . . . kisses and scritches for Elsa, I hope it's nothing serious :(

Moli
14-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Thinking of you and Elsa Luke............Patxx

dinahsmum
14-11-2005, 11:39 AM
:shock:
Fingers crossed for Elsa whilst we wait for an update. It is reassuring that others have experienced the same and been fine.

Luke
14-11-2005, 11:48 AM
well we are back, the vet is keeping her in and she is on a drip right now, cause of bleeding uknown so far, but she is very very dehydrated thus the collapsing, so she has to be on a drip and we have to go back at 12:30 to hear prognosis, thats if and its a big if she is still with us then :(:(

EmmaG
14-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Oh Luke, I was so hoping it was just something that had disagreed with her... big hugs to you...you must be so worried :(

dinahsmum
14-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Big hugs here too Luke.
They are extraordinarily resiliant you know, despite their tinyness.
Still got everything crossed

Fran
14-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Fingers crossed Luke...hope the prognosis is good at 12.30.....

yola
14-11-2005, 01:11 PM
Luke . . . hoping that the news about Elsa will be good :cat34 Hugs to you both . . .

Het
14-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Fingers crossed Luke that shes ok, shes a feisty little girl. Thinking of you and Elsa
XX Het

Moli
14-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Any news Luke???

Luke
14-11-2005, 02:45 PM
well she has to stay in overnight, they think it is a colon infection but still not sure, but as she has lost a fair amount of blood they are very worried for her, she is on a drip as she is so weak but she has picked up a little she was batting my finger through the bars, i just pray she makes it through the night

dinahsmum
14-11-2005, 02:58 PM
i just pray she makes it through the night
We're all in there rooting for her Luke.
When they're so little (like human children) they can go downhill very quickly but, by the same token, once they're on the mend they zoom back to full fitness.
Keep us up to date and try and keep yourself busy with something else. Extra thinking on your part won't help!
Take care x

Mags
14-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Hoping Elsa will be ok Luke......

Moli
14-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Thinking of you and little Elsa..........

Naomi
14-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Luke sending big hugs and cuddles to Elsa, hope she's gonna feel better soon.

Keep youself busy and concentrate on other things. She's in the best place and they will do everything they can for her

Jac
14-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Luke, I'm sure she will be fine. She's in the right place and like children bounce back ever so quickly

Luke
14-11-2005, 06:00 PM
thankyou everyone, the vet rang and said she had gone down hill but they had stablised her, she has some sort of anemia possibly by fleas!!!
the vet said that what Elsa is suffering from has been basically caused by not being reared properly
so the diagnosis so far, is some unidentified colon infection, flea anemia, worms, and dehydration.
Well mum rang the lady we got her from, and had the phone slammed down, on her. irresponsible young woman, not good enough she lets her 8 month old Maine coon still a kitten herself have kittens, she doesnt even raise the poor things properly
we went to see Elsa at 3:30 and she looked ok, not brilliant but a little better, they have to stablise her bloods now to get her cell count back up or something, she is on anti biotics for the supposed infection and they are doing more tests to fully identify it, she iis being treated for worms, as the vets said she hasnt been before, though we were told she had! And she is on a drip which seems to be hydrating her. I just pray she makes it i really do

Jeanette
14-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Oh dear:-(

I'm so sorry Luke.. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope she makes it.

Fran
14-11-2005, 06:04 PM
fingers crossed here for you and little Elsa.....poor little thing, how irresponsible of the breeder not to worm and flea her...it's a basic, common sense, responsibility of raising babies :(

Luke
14-11-2005, 06:11 PM
thanks J
and yes Fran it is common sense, stupid woman thought more about selling the poor things than looking after them!

Mags
14-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Elsa is in good hands now Luke, I'm sure they will get her back to full strength and she'll be back home with you soon...

Moli
14-11-2005, 06:43 PM
Poor baby, that breeder should be shot!!!!!

Luke
14-11-2005, 06:48 PM
thanks Mags i know she is in the best hands, and Moli she cant be called a breeder shes someone who has pedigree cats doesnt bother to get them done and just lets em mate, regardless of age! irresponsible

Moli
14-11-2005, 06:50 PM
There are so many around like that Luke..Not a thought for the poor kittens!!!

smudgley
14-11-2005, 08:53 PM
Oh Luke:smt058
Hope she is ok. She has a lot going on in her little body. :( The worms will eventually go with worming. The vets will be able to rehydrate her with IV fluid. I would be worried about her WBCC & the infection. But if she's on antibiotics & being monitored closely then she is in good hands & the safest place. The vets will want her to get better as much as everyone else does, so fingers crossed that your pretty little munchkin will be home soon. x

Jac
14-11-2005, 08:58 PM
luke cant you report her if she's a "breeder". I know it wont help your wee one but at least the vet is working on her. It could help others though

Luke
14-11-2005, 09:06 PM
thanks Moli, there are to many of them
thanks Smudgeley, she is apparentlly doing well according to last vets phone call
she isnt a breeder jac, she just has a few pedigree cats and doesnt bother to get any of them neutered :roll:

Het
14-11-2005, 09:37 PM
aww Luke..poor Elsa, but at least now you can get her sorted out and she will be looked after by you after not the best start in life. I am sure there will be a vast improvement by tomorrow, once they get those fluids into her she will feel loads better

Luke
14-11-2005, 09:38 PM
thanks Het, i sure hope so :)

Donna
15-11-2005, 12:18 AM
Hope Elsa improves overnight. Poor little thing.

smudgley
15-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Let us know when you speak to the vets this morning Luke - thinking of you.:cat21

Luke
15-11-2005, 09:53 AM
ankyou everyone, she made it through the night.barely but she made it. We are heading up there now to speak to the vet and see what is going to happen,

Moli
15-11-2005, 09:55 AM
Let us know how she is Luke..............

yola
15-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Hang on in there Luke . . . I hope Elsa starts to recover soon . . .

Fran
15-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Let us know how you get on Luke...thinking of you and little Elsa..

Luke
15-11-2005, 11:11 AM
well update, Elsa has been allowed home on the grounds isolation from other pets and people, she has to stay in one room and when being handled hands have to be thoroughly washed prior as with touching anything around her.
She has a lower colon infection, serious flea anemia, riddled with ear mites, worms and generally she is feeling down in the dumps.
She is on a course of antibiotics, flea treatment, drops for the ear mites, high dosage tablets for the worms, and we have been advised to add a little bit of scraped beef to her diet, as the red meat will help her re-build her blood count, she is also on an injection of something to do with her bloods.
She shouldnt have too much blood in her stools from now on, she began to go into shock yesterday apparentlly thats why she collapsed, she went into shock due to the lowness of blood cells, poor lass is lying in her crate flat out. She has to have a heated pad in her bed which BTW she seems to love :lol:
the woman who we bought her off, well she needs to have something done to her i cant say on a public forum :twisted: :twisted:

Jac
15-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Luke, surley this woman could have something done to her? A report to the RSPCA with a back up letter from your vet. Doesnt matter if the mateing was intentional or not she IS being cruel to her animals!!!!

Fran
15-11-2005, 11:25 AM
At least she's home Luke...what a cocktail of medicines for a little one :( I would have thought your vet would have picked all these things up when you took her for a check up after you got her Luke?

Naomi
15-11-2005, 11:47 AM
At least she's home Luke.

Get Well wishes are being sent to Elsa from everyone here and Moli sends her a kitten cuddle

dinahsmum
15-11-2005, 12:32 PM
It's sounding good Luke (especially the warmed bed!).
Lots of tlc and she will be fine.

Moli
15-11-2005, 12:52 PM
So pleased she is at home Luke, poor little girl, thats a lot to go through for one so tiny...She will be fine now she is back at home, all the tlc you give her will soon make her perk up..Give her a big cuddle from me........Patxx

yola
15-11-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm so pleased Elsa is coming home. Poor baby - she really doesn't deserve all this; being such a titch.

I agree that you should do something positive to stop this breeder - maybe get your local Cats Protection/RSPCA involved and get some press releases into the local paper, not necessarily slating this individual but publicising the fact that care needs to be taken both by breeders and by purchasers alike when kittens health are at stake.

Mags
15-11-2005, 02:11 PM
Pleased to hear she is home Luke, she needs to be kept quiet for a while now.
Like Fran said, I'm very surprised too that the vet didn't pick up on the fleas, worms etc when she had her previous check :shock:

EmmaG
15-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Good to hear she is back home Luke, keeping my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery :)

smudgley
15-11-2005, 08:27 PM
How is she this evening Luke?

Luke
15-11-2005, 10:28 PM
thanks everyone, sorry havent been on all day been so busy :roll: Elsa is a lot better now, she has eaten and passed motion with no blood at all.
When she had a consultation shortly after we got her she was seen by the vetrinary nurse, TBH she was more weighing and such. Im not sure whythings werent picked up on :?
The lady whom 'bred' Elsa (if you can call it that) claimed having no idea of what was going on :roll: when we asked why she had not bothered to take the kittens to a vet or at least worm/de-flea them she answered oooh i dont buy in for that tosh (:shock: i know do not even get me started on that one) im not sure what we can do, but as the 2 litters of crosses she had were 'accidental' apparentlly the vet said we would have little grounds to report her on, sad i know:(
at least Elsa is feeling better now, she is curled up in her crate snorring her head off, im so glad she is ok:)
thankyou all for your kind wishes

EmmaG
15-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Good to hear she is feeling better, give her a few days to get her strength back and she will be driving you nuts again :)

smudgley
15-11-2005, 10:37 PM
Glad she's feeling better.
I don't really think it matters or not that the kittens were the result of an accidental mating, the fact is - they were born & she should have raised them properly & responsibly. I pressume as they are first crosses you paid a price for her & it is only right that they should have been wormed & treated for fleas.
For the kittens to be so heavily infested with fleas & worms - her house will be riddled with fleas & all her mother cats must have worms too.
As for the VN - even if she wasn't giving you a consultation - if she weighed your baby - she should have at least looked at her & noticed the fleas & ear mites.
Anyway - you must now look to the future & let's just hope she continues getting better.

- If you haven't already I would get some acclaim from the vets & spray your house, also do your other cat & your pooches.

Mags
15-11-2005, 10:37 PM
I'm glad she is recovering well Luke.....
Can't say I think much of that veterinary nurse as it doesn't take much to spot a flea infestation:roll:
Hope things continue to improve and she is up and about causing mischief once again:lol:

Luke
15-11-2005, 10:43 PM
thanks Emma,
thanks Smudgely, i think the woman is just sooo irresponsible, and yes i have been dousing everyone else (petswise with the stuff the vet perscruibed)
thanks Mags im sure she will be :lol:

and BTW the nurse was jsut out of colleage and blonde, explains the non flea spotting :roll:

*runs for cover*

Moli
15-11-2005, 10:45 PM
So please Elsa is on the mend Luke....

Luke
15-11-2005, 10:45 PM
thankyou Moli :)

Fran
15-11-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm blonde Luke but even I could detect a heavy flea, ear mite and worm infestation ;)

Glad she is on the mend, lots of cuddles and tlc and she'll soon be back up to speed!

Donna
16-11-2005, 12:28 AM
Glad to hear Elsa is getting better. Hope she continues to improve overnight :) :)

Mr. Cat
16-11-2005, 05:10 AM
Luke, I was very sorry to learn Elsa was suffering; but now I'm quite happy to know she's feeling so much better. I hope and pray she will make a full recovery.

:)

=^..^=

Luke
16-11-2005, 09:56 AM
thankyou Donna, thankyou Mr. Cat :)

Luke
16-11-2005, 09:59 AM
well Elsa is a lot better, eating and bouncing around like a fool, she must be a lot better as she has already been fighting with Clementine :roll: they are really an odd pair, oh and she tormented the dogs this morning when they were out for their wee she walked along the window ledge flashing her tail at them :lol: ad as i type she is attacking my hands so i think she is feeling better :)

Mags
16-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Considering she was so bad Luke she has made an amazing recover in such a short time.......hope it continues..!

Luke
16-11-2005, 10:22 AM
thankyou Mag,s yes she seems to have a new lease on life

dinahsmum
16-11-2005, 10:35 AM
I'm so glad my 'told you so' was correct.
Keep enjoying her!

yola
16-11-2005, 11:05 AM
What a relief!! I'm delighted Elsa is recovering!! Hurray!!! :-D

Het
16-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Great news Luke:D

Fran
16-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Great news Luke and Elsa!!!! :smt026 :smt026 :smt026

Naomi
16-11-2005, 02:16 PM
That's fab news Luke!!!!!

Luke
16-11-2005, 03:15 PM
thankyou so much everyone :)

bobbie3917
18-11-2005, 03:04 AM
aaw the poor little Elsa what a thing to go though, and i want say what i will call the breeder

and i thought Elsa mum was a persian not a maine coon?

Luke
18-11-2005, 09:25 AM
aaw the poor little Elsa what a thing to go though, and i want say what i will call the breeder

and i thought Elsa mum was a persian not a maine coon?
i agree with you Nat, and yes her mum is an MC yet another fiasco with the 'breeder':roll: