PDA

View Full Version : Chestnuts anyone?

Kazz
13-11-2005, 07:45 PM
As I am sitting here enjoying hot chestnuts I wondered if anyone else eats chestnuts? I remove the outer shell leaving the inner skin on, then boil them for about 20 minutes gorgeous eaten hot with a little salt.:-D

Mags
13-11-2005, 07:52 PM
I associate them with Christmas time....haven't had any for some time come to think of it......

Kazz
13-11-2005, 07:54 PM
How odd.

I associate them with bonfire night:-D

EmmaG
13-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Oh I love chestnuts.....hhmmmmmm

Mags
13-11-2005, 08:11 PM
How odd.

I associate them with bonfire night:-D
I think it was because we always used to go to London round Christmas time and they used to be roasting them on the pavements......nothing better than freshly roasted chestnuts on a cold day in Oxford Street ! :p

Fran
13-11-2005, 08:20 PM
I associate them with Bonfire night too - roasted but haven't had them for years come to think of it....oooohh you have set me off now Kazz :roll:

Het
13-11-2005, 08:41 PM
We put them in an old baked bean tin, and then put the tin in the fire and leave them til they start popping. Then of course you burn your fingers getting them out of the shells...delicious:)

dinahsmum
14-11-2005, 04:31 PM
I love 'em raw - if I can find the patience to remove every scrap of inner membrane.
I love the smell of chestnuts roasting and it's so christmassy to pop them on the woodburner and wait till they leap off when they're done - but unfortunately I'm not so keen once they're cooked! :cat21 Haven't tried your recipe Kazz - do you slip off the inner skin before eating?

yola
14-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Never had them . . . I have a nut allergy and have never tested to see if I react the same way to chestnuts!

I associate them with Christmas. When at art school in London there were always chestnut roasters in St Martin's Lane and Covent Garden . . . although it was only in the 80s it had a wonderful, nostalgic feeling even then!