PDA

View Full Version : A house guest

Luke
13-11-2005, 03:11 PM
We have a feline guest at our house for a fortnight as of tommorow. He is one of my sisters cats, Eric is respectable 19 years young, but its on a sad note the matriach comes to stay, his heart has weakened over recent months and his medication isnt working exactly well any more, so it is feared his days could be drawing to an end soon :( but my sister and her family booked this holiday months ago and were going to cancel when my mum said well let him come stay with us, if hes going to go let him end his days in a proper home not in a cattery somewhere, and then you lot can go away and no he will end his days in comfort and be happy whether you are here or not, so this could be the old boys resting place. He will be ok as he has come here all the time that my sister and family have gone away and he knows the dogs and Clementine, and the reason he was going to be put into cattery was cause of Elsa being so young, but as my mum said the old boy isnt ending his days on his own, he wont care much about Elsa but if she doesnt like him tough, so i am posting to see if any of you had any advice on how to make him comfortable..if the enivatable does happen whilst he is in our care?
any advice and such, its a grim thing to expect but he has lived a long fruitful life so we can't begrudge him of slipping away as age catches up on him, so any advice on what to do?
also have old Eric in your thoughts this next fortnight, hopefully he can see the fortnight out and see my sister and her family one last time at least, before he ends his days :(

samwise
13-11-2005, 03:19 PM
I really hope he manages to see his 'first' family after their holiday! I have no advice as I am sure you will look after him as if he is a King! Just try to keep him quiet and warm (as I am sure you will).
I will keep everything crossed for you! You will look after him wonderfully and he will be happy, whatever happens!

Mags
13-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Keep him comfortable Luke and as long as he has food and water he should be ok. I would think twice about letting him outdoors though..

Luke
13-11-2005, 04:00 PM
thanyou Lianne, thanks Mags Eric doesnt go outdooors any more so we should be ok

Fran
13-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Think I would be inclined to just keep him seperate from the rest of the household activities so that he doesn't have any added stress...sure the last thing he needs right now is a boisterous kitten! Hope the old boy makes it to see his family again..

Luke
13-11-2005, 04:10 PM
i hope so to Fran, he usually sleeps in mums room when he stays so i doubt this time will be any different :)

CathyW
13-11-2005, 06:11 PM
your probally find that elsa will give the ole fella a bit of respect.well it worked like that when i had a puppy and an ole dog.

Kazz
13-11-2005, 08:27 PM
I bet Elsa falls in love.:-D There is something about older - older cats thats seem to demand respect from kittens.

Karen

Luke
13-11-2005, 08:31 PM
thanks BM, and kazz i bet Elsa will she will probably like having an aging sugar daddy :lol: :lol:

Mags
16-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Luke....how is Eric getting on?:?

Luke
16-11-2005, 04:26 PM
forgot to update you, Eric is doing fine, has been asleep with the dogs for the past 3 days, Clementine acknowledges him and Elsa has been ill so has just seen him for fleeting moments from the grills of the carrying basket, he is doing wel and his days dont seem to be drawing in....just yet

Mags
16-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Glad he's ok Luke....do you have to give him any medication?

Naomi
16-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Glad he's enjoying his little holiday with you

yola
16-11-2005, 04:52 PM
Glad he's doing OK Luke. Just keep that extra eye on him and I'm sure he'll be fine till his family return.

Luke
16-11-2005, 05:05 PM
thanks everyon, yes Mags he has to take medication for his heart