PDA

View Full Version : Booster Jabs

Donna
09-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Hello,

As I am a fairly new cat owner (1 yr now) just wanted to know what everyone thought of the booster jabs. Are they essential? Are they just a way of vets making loads of money?

My sister has a cat that she never sees as she chucks it out all the time (poor thing) and has never taken her to the vets so has never had any jabs.

I feel I should take them to the vets to get the jabs but just wanted some more opinions as my sister says I am just throwing money away.

Advice please!!

Mags
09-11-2005, 07:40 PM
Donna this subject was debated last month, you can catch up with it here....

http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/showthread.php?t=2284&highlight=booster+jabs

......while other members may come along with more to add..

Moli
09-11-2005, 07:40 PM
I have 4 cats and all of mine get their boosters each year....As we live in the country there are a lot of cats around, and I am happier knowing my 4 are protected....

Mags
09-11-2005, 07:42 PM
My cat has her booster every year too....

EmmaG
09-11-2005, 07:46 PM
I have both my cats vaccinated every year, against cat flu (although Bronwyn is a carrier) and also feline leukemia, I consider this to be part of owning the cats. I have heard that some people who do not let their cats outside only have the vaccines once.

samwise
09-11-2005, 08:23 PM
I keep my 2 up to date, but stretch it for a month or so each time! They have the triple vaccine.:D

Fran
09-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Mine are only vaccinated for the first few years of life as I have taken onboard the controvesy surrounding over vaccination.....Lucky is 18 and Jemima who went missing last year was 17 so I think it has worked for my lot so far ;)

Donna
09-11-2005, 10:04 PM
So confused!!! Now i dont know what to do even more!

Fran
09-11-2005, 10:09 PM
It is a very controversial subject Donna..I think you have to go with your gut instinct. Perhaps do some reading up on the pros and cons of repeat vaccination and see how you feel :)

Donna
09-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Thanks Fran,

I want to be the best owner I can be - I love them so much! But so many different points of view.

I will think about this for a bit before I make a decision. Dont want them to get ill or worse. But dont want them to get ill by having vaccinations they do not need! Life is just so complicated!!

Mags
09-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Donna, I have Cassie vaccinated mainly because she goes into a Cattery every year when we are on holiday and catteries refuse to take your cat unless it has been fully vaccinated. Saying that I think I would still get her done even if she didn't go in.

Donna
09-11-2005, 10:22 PM
Hi Mags

I dont think mine would ever go to a cattery (cant afford a holiday boo hoo!!) but having said that, am thankful for everyone's opinion.

Everyone on this forum has the experience of being a cat owner that I do not have yet. Dont want to make mistakes.

Mags
09-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Donna, you ask all the questions you want....there is nearly always someone who will be able to help you and give you advice....after all, you only want the best for your little ones don't you?:cat21

EmmaG
09-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Donna I think you are being very sensible and asking questions, afterall that is what we are all here for, helping each other out.

Another item to consider as a new cat owner is insurance, I have both of my cats insured (especially after my prevous cats vets bills came to about £1,000 in the space of 6 weeks) Have you thought about this? I think it is really good especially if your cats are going to go outside.

Just a thought

Donna
09-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Thank you !!

Donna
09-11-2005, 10:34 PM
Hi Emma,

Yes I do have my kitties insured. I decided straight away to do this because could not afford a massive unexpected bill!!

When I got Misty she was given to me and came from rather a "sorry" household - she was thin and scrawny and seemed so pathetic. She ended up having antibiotics immediately I got her home due to an infection.

Because of this I decided to play safe with insurance!!

Needless to say since I got her a year ago she is now a super fit healthy happy little rascal!!

EmmaG
09-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Excellent stuff, although I do not think insurance is totally essential, my previous cat Lucy wasn't insured and was more or less trouble free for 11 years and she did go outside, vets bills and the like never seem to come along when we have much money spare!!

Donna
09-11-2005, 10:37 PM
Thats so true!!

EmmaG
09-11-2005, 10:40 PM
So far I have found the pet insurance excellent, (I am with Directline), I wish though that they did one that did cover the boosters though, even if I was paying more a month.

Fran
09-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Do Direct Line have a cover for life Emma? Where by they will pay out for a single condition for the whole of a cat's life or do they just pay out to a maximum for one condition?

Luke
09-11-2005, 10:48 PM
ok i am just going to just put down some personal experiences, we had an old persian girl, never had a vaccine in her life and went outside lived till a ripe old age, then 2 particular kittens, Balderick and Elspeth, had their kitten vaccines and just had their booster vaccine, both got ill and Elspeth died!!! our cats usually have their kitten vaccines but not boosters, oh and anopther thing, recentlly you will all remember my grandmother loosing her siamese, Verity, Verity passed away just before her 27th birthday i believe, never had a vaccine in her life.
But that said the world is a different place now to what it was then :)
its up to you really

Donna
09-11-2005, 10:50 PM
Thanks for your thoughts Luke. Will keep on thinking hard...

EmmaG
09-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Just checking the policy, I have the advanced cover which is "necessary treatment for each illness, injury or disease up to a maximum of £6,000" there doesn't seem to be any time limits on this.

One thing they do have which I think is very good is 24 hour vet helpline (at local rates)

Fran
09-11-2005, 10:58 PM
The thing is Emma if your cat developed something like diabetes and needed treatment for life the insurance company may pay up to £6000 and then for the rest of your cats life you would have to foot the bills. Petplan for example pay out for the entire life of the animal....

Fran
09-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Or another scenario is if your cat needed an op and then a few years down the line needed the same op or a related op would your insurance company pay out again if the bill exceeded £6000? A lot of insurance companies will write a condition and related conditions out of a policy once one claim has been made.

EmmaG
09-11-2005, 11:00 PM
I see, hmmm perhaps I will have to have a look at Petplan :) I think Directline changed to this £6,000 for any one condition just recently.

EmmaG
09-11-2005, 11:01 PM
Fran my understanding is once you go over the £6,000 you have to pay it yourself.

Fran
09-11-2005, 11:03 PM
There are plenty of companies that offer lifetime policies, I just named Petplan 'cos I have experience of them. They are certainly not the cheapest but they will deal with the vet direct so other than your excess you don't have to stump any money up :)

Fran
09-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Fran my understanding is once you go over the £6,000 you have to pay it yourself.

With a cover for life policy you don't they will pay out for the life of the animal/ They usually set an amount each year you can claim for each condition. Think it is £4000 with Petplan but if you reach the max as soon as the next year starts you can claim for the same condition again

EmmaG
09-11-2005, 11:11 PM
So Fran do you have the Supercat plan, it looks like the Cat Plan is the same and I have with Directline £6,000 per condition.

Fran
09-11-2005, 11:14 PM
I don't insure the cats Emma just the dogs and I assumed it was the same so I will go and have a look on the website now.....

Fran
09-11-2005, 11:19 PM
The supercat plan has unlimited cover each year Emma...but I can't find if out if they pay out for the same condition for life?? you would have to ring them to find out

Fran
09-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Ohh I found this...

Q. What does Covered for Life mean?
A. Petplan policies carry the ‘Covered for Life’ guarantee**, meaning they continue to
cover vet fees for a pet’s illnesses and injuries for life, as long as you continue to renew your policy each year without any break in the insurance cover. Lifetime cover
is invaluable if your pet develops a long-term condition such as arthritis
or eczema, and as some of the other policies will stop paying out after the
first 12 months of treatment or only pay up to a maximum benefit per condition.</B>

so you choose the plan..and whether there is a yearly max or not no matter which plan they still pay out for life :)

Fran
09-11-2005, 11:27 PM
So Fran do you have the Supercat plan, it looks like the Cat Plan is the same and I have with Directline £6,000 per condition.

So yes, cat plan is similar to what you have already except that Petplan will pay out for the entire life of the cat whereas yours may stop paying when the bill reaches £6000, you would need to check your policy...hth

EmmaG
09-11-2005, 11:28 PM
Thanks Fran, I think I need to put some time aside one evening and have a good read, I pay my insurance monthly so it is no problem just to cancel once I have obtained a new policy.

Fran
09-11-2005, 11:35 PM
It's worth looking into Emma...you may find your own policy is a cover for life policy anyway. I hope it is, save you the aggro of having to shop round :)