PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Neighbour!!

Donna
06-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Hello, I have a problem and I dont know what to do!! I have been a first time cat owner of two timid females, Chloe and Misty, for a year now. They have been predominently house cats but I do give them the choice of going into my garden. They tended to be happiest in the garden in the summer when I was sitting out there with them. Now the weather is getting colder I have introduced a catflap with varying success! My biggest problem is that there is a large nasty cat in my area who terrorises my kitties when they go out. It comes into the house and eats all their food and attacks them. Now they are getting more and more frightened to go out and are too scared to use the cat flap. Its a magnetic one so the nasty cat cant get in, but they are still so scared! I want to get rid of the litter tray but if they wont go outside what can i do??? PLEASE HELP! ANY SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED!:?

yola
06-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Hi Donna - welcome.

Is having your cats in the house a major stumbling block for you? I ask, because if the cats are happiest indoors maybe you should just go with the flow?

My 3 go outside only when I'm there. As yours - in summer they will kip in the borders. But usually when I come in for any length of time so do they. I think some cats are just more comfortable indoors or with human companions.

If you're determined for them to go out, I don't really know what you can do to keep this other cat out of your garden. Maybe your cats just need to make it their territory instead of it being that of the other cat. Coz that's probably the problem, he thinks they are on his patch!!

I hope that helps a little. I'm sure others will come forward with some better suggestions.

Cheers

Fran
06-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Do you know who this other cat belongs to Donna? Or could it be a ferral cat?

Donna
06-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Hi Yola

Thanks for your advice. I am so new to forums - first time ever so bear with me!!

I do not have a problem with my cats being more indoors than out, but I get a lot of pressure from family and friends who have cats who tend to live outside and they say I am being cruel keeping them in.

I dont force them to stay in - I have put the cat flap in to give them a choice. When i come in from work they always run downstairs from sleeping on my bed. They sleep on my bed of a night time too.

The main reason for wanting the cats to go outside and use the cat flap was so that i can get rid of the litter tray! It is so messy!!

The large nasty cat in question beats up all the cats in the area so think it is the Leader of the pack, but just want my kitties to feel safe in their own garden and use it when they need to go loo!!

Donna

Donna
06-11-2005, 06:57 PM
Hi Fran,

Its not a feral cat. It lives in my street but not sure where!

Mags
06-11-2005, 06:59 PM
I would keep a water pistol handy Donna, for when the cat comes into your garden. After a few on target shots he may get the message and steer clear of your garden. He obviously doesn't like your cats on his territory so you've got to persuade him that it is no longer his. Good luck, I hope you can solve the problem....

Donna
06-11-2005, 07:01 PM
Have tried the water trick but to no avail!! He is a tough old boot!!

Fran
06-11-2005, 07:05 PM
Think I would try and find out who he belongs to and let them know what sort of trouble he is causing. Perhaps you could come to some sort of arrangement so that they keep him in during certain hours. If he hasn't been neutered then it would be worth suggesting that they get him done and he may 'calm down' somewhat. Good luck!!!

dinahsmum
06-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Think I would try and find out who he belongs to and let them know what sort of trouble he is causing. Perhaps you could come to some sort of arrangement so that they keep him in during certain hours. If he hasn't been neutered then it would be worth suggesting that they get him done and he may 'calm down' somewhat. Good luck!!!

Sounds good advice - and let your cats do what they prefer!

borderdawn
06-11-2005, 07:33 PM
i have just invested in some "prikka strips" and gone round the whole garden in an attempt to stop my Cats getting out (only one really) Its really for deterring intruders but does state that Cats wont go over it, so I am giving it a go. So far it seems to be working!
Dawn.

http://www.livesafe.co.uk/Prikka-Strip_webpage.htm

Mags
06-11-2005, 07:42 PM
What a brilliant idea Dawn, I've never heard of those before and I think they are worth looking in to...

bobbie3917
06-11-2005, 08:49 PM
is the litter tray that bad? its all part of having cats
dont try to push your cats out as they might think about moving out all together. i know many a cat that go out all day and come home just to use the tary

Donna
06-11-2005, 11:22 PM
This looks very interesting. If it stops my kitties wandering and keeps out the nasty cat then this could be the answer! How long have you been using it? Do the cats not jump up onto your fences now? Does it hurt them? Let me have a detailed account!!

Donna
06-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Hi Natalie,

The tray isnt too bad but they have had accidents which is damaging my flooring! Just invested in a really large tray today so maybe this is the answer. No more accidents and happy kitties!

Moli
06-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Hi Natalie,

The tray isnt too bad but they have had accidents which is damaging my flooring! Just invested in a really large tray today so maybe this is the answer. No more accidents and happy kitties!Try a covered Tray, it prevents accidents...........

bobbie3917
07-11-2005, 12:25 AM
i agree with Moli or if that dont work like i cant use them here as my cat (sky) was to tall for it and so will Scarlott be soon
try putting the tray in a larger box, as Scarlott (indoor cat only) is getting bigger i am thinking about get a few of them large plastic toy boxes to use as a litter tray

Donna
08-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Hello everyone,

Just giving you an update on the nasty neighbour situation!! I have calmed down a bit about this cat and have bought a larger litter tray to avoid accidents. My kitties are feeling more relaxed because i am not forcing them through the flap every two minutes! Am letting them out for short spells but leaving the flap open for them to make a quick escape if the big cat comes! Thanks for all you advice - I was just thinking they SHOULD WANT to go out, but each kitty has a mind of its own - as I have now found out!! :p

Mags
08-11-2005, 10:46 PM
Glad to hear you have sorted things out Donna, I hope the big bully cat will find a new patch too.

Donna
08-11-2005, 10:50 PM
Hi Mags,

Dont suppose for a minute the nasty cat will disappear - will just have to learn to live with it, and not force my little kitties out when they rather stay in!! I am giving them complete control over the situation, but am ready with a bucket of water if they get attacked!!

Mags
08-11-2005, 10:55 PM
A garden hose might be better Donna!!:lol:

Donna
08-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Garden hose is a great idea!! Will get it one day!!! ha ha ha!! Just managed to work out how to add a piccie to my profile - its of Chloe when she was a baby kitty!! She was about two months old in the piccie - she is now just over one and still beautiful!! She is a tortie too!

Fran
08-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Glad you seem to be sorting things out with the Tom cat bully!! Chloe is beautiful!!

Mags
08-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Well done you with the pic!! Chloe looks a little beauty Donna.

Donna
08-11-2005, 11:21 PM
The trouble with Chloe is that she knows she is pretty!! She is laying on the bottom of my bed now posing!!:cool:

Mags
08-11-2005, 11:28 PM
I hope you're getting your camera clicking then;) :lol:

Donna
08-11-2005, 11:35 PM
Wow I have amazed myself!!

Added two piccies to the picture section - one each of Chloe and Misty as babies and then a more recent one!!

I so clever!! ha ha:lol:

Mags
08-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Well done!!!!!!!!!!

Kim
08-11-2005, 11:47 PM
I think the water pistol idea is a good one. other than that it is very hard to stop one cat terrorising the neighbourhood.

Just a thought about the litter tray - have you got one of the hooded type as these are usually a lot less messy as the litter is contained in the tray more? I prefer my cats to use a litter tray than digging up my plants in the garden, also it is much easier to know if they have a problem, e.g. cystitis, diarrhoea.

Mags
08-11-2005, 11:52 PM
I've got one of the hooded ones Kim, they are great and a lot more hygenic....

Donna
08-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Hi Kim

Did look at the hooded trays but Misty cant fathom how a flap works so would never get in it!!! The bigger tray seems to be working.

Agree with you regarding the mess in the garden - my dad does my gardening for me and is forever tutting about the mess!!

I have a downstairs loo, so usually flush away any nasties as soon as it appears so this is probably the best way forward anyway.

As you say, you notice if they have constipation/runs etc more easily if they use a tray!

Mags
08-11-2005, 11:58 PM
I've taken the flap off Cassie's tray as she was wary about using it. She just goes in and out of it when she pleases now and the litter is still contained.

Donna
09-11-2005, 12:12 AM
I didnt think of that!! I daft!! Will see how the larger tray goes. If not, then that is the next step i think. just been looking at Cassies photos from before in the pictures section - the is very similar to chloe with the colouring! So beautiful!

Kim
09-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Hi Donna, although we have a cat flap, my cats weren't happy about using the flap on the litter tray, so I just removed it!! No problem now!

Fran
09-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Same here...had to take the flap off my litter trays now they will use them no problems :cool:

dinahsmum
09-11-2005, 01:05 PM
And here - sounds like a design fault! They couldn't have tested them with real cats!

CathyW
24-11-2005, 07:56 PM
when u use the hooded tray with out the flat does it contain the *stink*:D

Mags
24-11-2005, 08:01 PM
I get no problems with mine....it has a deodorizer in the top...

Fran
24-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Mine has a deodorizer in the top too and I haven't experienced any smells from taking the flap off

Donna
04-12-2005, 11:57 PM
DEFINATELY gonna get a covered litter tray!! Discovered the problem of the "accidents".

Misty doesnt "go" properly!!!! She doesnt squat down far enough so it all shoots out over the top of the tray onto the floor!!

She is such a hard cat to teach. Cant wee properly, cant use a cat flap, cant miaow, cant use the garden to do her business!!

She stooopid!!

Mags
05-12-2005, 12:01 AM
Awwww poor Misty:( :lol:

Moli
05-12-2005, 12:02 AM
Not stupid, just different.....

Donna
05-12-2005, 12:05 AM
Not stupid, just different.....

Wouldnt change her for the world Moli!!

Fran
05-12-2005, 12:10 AM
She sounds a real character Donna....:cat21

Donna
05-12-2005, 12:15 AM
She sounds a real character Donna....:cat21

She is Fran. Makes me laugh so much. She makes funny little noises in her throat for a miaow!! Sounds like she is sighing/grumbling to herself!!

Fran
05-12-2005, 12:17 AM
Awww..and that's what makes her so special and unique Donna :cool: