PDA

View Full Version : Floating Kidney

Elaine
02-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Does any one know exactly what this is?
A friend of mine has a cat with a floating kidney, the vet said it shouldnt cause much problems.
Have been trying to find some info on this but have drawn a blank.
Can any one help?

Mags
02-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Sorry Elaine but I've never heard of it.....hope someone else will be able to help you..

Tom
02-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Ooooh never heard of it before sorry:?
Tom x

Fran
02-11-2005, 11:22 PM
I think it is where the kidney/kidneys are not secure as such and can be moved about by palpation. I believe, well in humans anyhow, that it is usually a hereditary condition and has varying degrees of severity. By severity I mean how much the kidneys can be moved around. It shouldn't cause any problems I wouldn't think...I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong :p

Elaine
03-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Have contacted the cat clinic who have said its not an uncommon condition in cats and are not aware of any complications due to the condition.
But if any one else has any other info or experiences with this condition I would be very interested to hear because I hope to adopt this little fellow very soon.

Naomi
03-11-2005, 01:33 PM
I've not heared of it either.

Good luck with adopting the little fella

Elaine
03-12-2005, 11:21 PM
Well I did adopt the little fella and the vets have not mentioned anything more about it.
He is a little stressed, which is down to the very slow introductions as Eva the Diva is playing us a blinder and cannt stand the sight of him. Winston, bless my old boy, is not so bothered about Bernie.
Bernie is one handsome, friendly but somewhat scruffy dude. Will get pics as soon as I have time.
If any one has any introduction tips to share, we would be very gratefull.
The house is full of feliway diffusers. Have been scent swapping. Have also set up a pen and are trying to bring food closer to the pen.

Fran
03-12-2005, 11:48 PM
So glad that you made the decision to have him Elaine. It's early days and I am sure things will improve as time goes on. Sounds like you are doing all the right things :)

We would love to see piccies of Bernie as soon as you can organise some ;) Good luck integrating him into your family and keep us updated on his progress...

Elaine
04-12-2005, 11:43 AM
http://photobucket.com/albums/a398/ElainePirie/Bernie/
You can find piccies of Bernie on the link and also piccies of Winston and Eva.

Fran
04-12-2005, 11:48 AM
What a handsome chap Bernie is!!!!!! :cat21

Jac
04-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Oh what a cutie

Elaine
06-12-2005, 11:07 AM
Ok have now sought some advice from a behaviourist and we are restarting all the intros again. Its a shame but necessary. We have to firstly concentrate on gaining more trust from Eva and not let them see each other for now. We have to open up the house for Bernie to explore and spread his scent that way while placing Eva into Bernies room. Before Eva is placed there I have to place treats on Bernies bed etc for her to find when she goes in there. Once all this is done and every one is happy again I have to contact the behaviourist for the next stages.
Its got to be worth sticking with this for the sake of the cats. It may take us a while longer but we want all cats to be happy and content with each other.