PDA

View Full Version : scratch post problem

Luke
31-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Clementine had a tiny sized kitten scrath post she had, had it for ages and it has grown somewhat past its days. So we threw it out and brought a nice BIG new one, four levels with a tunny, and some pom pom things and platforms etc etc, but she wont use it she will sit on it fine but won't scratch it up at all.
What can i do to get her to use it?
Will the new kitten maybe intice her to use it when she is?
HELP i feel i wasted all that money, and she is so bored but she looks at all the play centre parts and then simply walks away:(

EmmaG
31-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Does she like catnip?? if she does you could try putting some of that on the scratchpost, it works for my cat Arthur

bobbie3917
01-11-2005, 01:45 AM
this is a tip Mittens breeder told me, its mente to work for most Ragdolls and as she is half a raggy it should work. just show her how to use it! when she is happily sitting on it go up to is and scratch it your self if she is any thing like Mittens used to be then she will join you. if you catch her scratching anywhere else then say NO and pick her up carry her to the post and she her again

Kay
14-12-2005, 06:51 PM
The catnip should do the trick they go absolutely mad for it.

Donna
14-12-2005, 06:53 PM
this is a tip Mittens breeder told me, its mente to work for most Ragdolls and as she is half a raggy it should work. just show her how to use it! when she is happily sitting on it go up to is and scratch it your self if she is any thing like Mittens used to be then she will join you. if you catch her scratching anywhere else then say NO and pick her up carry her to the post and she her again

I have heard that too, but did feel silly sitting on the floor playing with a scratching post pretending to be a cat..... miaow!!:lol:

Fran
15-12-2005, 01:03 AM
I was going to suggest the catnip too :D

borderdawn
15-12-2005, 08:10 AM
I have just had delivered an excellent scratch post, its about 5ft high and they LOVE it! From Gemany, took just 4 days to arrive and was only £24.99 with NO postage costs!!!! Take a peek.
Dawn.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/dawnieb/canon1524.jpg

Fran
15-12-2005, 09:09 AM
That's lovely Dawn and it certainly seems to have gone down well with wiggy!!

Luke
15-12-2005, 11:57 AM
well thankyou, whoever it was for posting on this and bringing it to the top of the page. i was looking for it to update and for some reason couldnt find it:?......mind you i couldn't find my way out of a paper bag! The cat scratching post, is well part of the furniture, Clementine uses it to sharpen her claws on and sleep on, and sit at the top and do the 'I'm queen of all i survey' look. Elsa likes to sit on it and tease the dogs, i don't think she has worked out its for scratching yet....but she's still young.

Mags
15-12-2005, 02:06 PM
That's a lovely scratch post Dawn, plenty of jumping and climbing places......and very reasonable for one that size!

LMC
15-12-2005, 04:57 PM
I LOVE that scratch post and I know my girls would too - where did you order from Dawn - have you got a website address? Thanks :)

borderdawn
15-12-2005, 05:08 PM
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_accessories/scratching_posts/large/13534
There you go LMC, enjoy!
Dawn.

LMC
15-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Brilliant, thanks Dawn.

I'll certainly enjoy watching my four enjoying the Alicante I just ordered :-D - will have to go and get some catnip as well to encourage them.

That's a great website - although the Hills isn't any cheaper than my local vet, shame!

borderdawn
15-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Look forward to seeing pics of them enjoying it! Catnip is excellent, they will go wild for it, dunno why though, it stinks! :-D
Dawn.

Moli
15-12-2005, 06:41 PM
Brilliant websire Dawn, the scratchy poles are really cheap...Have to remember itwhen my lot finally ruin the one they have!!

borderdawn
15-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Yes I thought it a great site, especially when you dont have to pay postage either, that usually adds at least £5/£6 onto your order.
Dawn.

Kay
15-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Absolutely brilliant scratching posts. I just need to make my mind up which one now!!!

LMC
02-01-2006, 03:40 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry:

I got home last night to find the Alicante tipped over on the floor. Goodness knows how they knocked it over!

But be warned... I don't know whether they will take it back and refund me, or allow me a voucher against other stuff, but the cats haven't gone near it today and I'm not surprised. It just doesn't seem to be stable.

borderdawn
02-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Blimey how did they do that? Mine is absolutely fine and has 4 Cats jumping, playing and hanging off it all day. Maybe its not level?
Dawn.

LMC
02-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Blimey how did they do that? Mine is absolutely fine and has 4 Cats jumping, playing and hanging off it all day. Maybe its not level?
Dawn.

It's on a flat floor but does seem to be top heavy :(

borderdawn
02-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Dont know why LMC, weird. Contact them, see what they say. All the "heavy" stuff is on the base and there is a box and a shelf a third of the way up, so thats bottom heavy really, could the top bit be made out of heavier wood? mine isnt but it could account for another one being so.
Dawn.

Luke
02-01-2006, 04:40 PM
:shock: im with Dawn on this one!!!
Ours is just your standard cat scratcher and that puts up with the two cats and often the two dogs using it too!!!!
Maybe it could just be a faulty one?

LMC
02-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Oh, it's definitely made up correctly (impossible not to!) but rocks even if I push the lowest shelf gently. I noticed that Amber jumping off the second highest shelf the other day set it swaying too :shock:

It's on carpet (not a textured carpet), don't know if that makes a difference? The floor beneath the carpet is concrete and definitely level!

bobbie3917
03-01-2006, 01:29 AM
get in touch with them if it falls over it is not doing what it is made to do and there for you should get your money back. i have just orderd 1 well i did begianing of Dec but not had it yet :( i dont think it will last my 2 long but should do OK for Minx and any kittens i have

PaulaB
13-01-2006, 11:09 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/PaulaSB/Picture155.jpg

This is the cat scratching post I brought my cats from Florida, just don't ask how much it cost!!!!!!!!!!

:shock: :roll: :oops:

Mags
13-01-2006, 11:12 PM
That certainly looks very sturdy Paula!

PaulaB
13-01-2006, 11:15 PM
It is, Queenie, the tabby can have a four pawed upside down scratch without getting out of bed with that half pipe perch bit on the top section.

Mags
13-01-2006, 11:22 PM
It's nice to see them on there....money well spent!:-P

Elaine
14-01-2006, 02:53 PM
We have a few activity centres for our cats and each one of them rocked so O/H bolted them to the walls.