PDA

View Full Version : Falling over..

Fran
29-10-2005, 08:51 AM
Wondered if anyone had any experience of this...it has happened twice since last night. Lucky my 18 year old cat for no apparant reason just fell over. On the first occasion, she gave a little shake and apparantly lost her balance and ended up on her side but this morning she was just standing at her food dish and it's as if her legs just gave way she managed to scramble up before she totally fell to the ground..

This cat is my soulmate...so one very worried owner here :(

Luke
29-10-2005, 08:56 AM
ok PK i don't mean to worry you but one of my closest friends lost one of their elderly cats 'Malibu' she was 19, recentlly she was PTS through a brain tumour and dimenschia (sp) related illness, and she had the above symptoms falling over, loosing balance and so on it got so bad in the end she wouldn't even realise she had fallen, for example off the back of the chair.
i pray Lucky has not got the same, and that she could just be having an 'off' period, i truly do
best wishes

Fran
29-10-2005, 08:58 AM
Oh, that is so sad Luke :( I was hoping that it would be something less serious but now I am worried. Did your friend's cats have any other symptoms?

Moli
29-10-2005, 09:06 AM
No experience o this PK, hope Lucky is okay, you are sure to be worried he has been with you for so long...."HUG"s for you both, hope he picks up...Patxx

Fran
29-10-2005, 09:10 AM
She just fallen over again, I phoned the vets I am taking her down at 10.30am

Moli
29-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Fingers crossed for Lucky PK...Let us know..........

Jeanette
29-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Oh Fran, I'm so sorry:-(

Good luck at the surgery..

And call me, text me... anything.. You know where I am, if you need me...

Sorry I cant be there to give you a hug....

HUGS J

Jac
29-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Fingers crossed for you here too. Let us know how you get on.

Fran
29-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Thank you for all your support....I am so very worried. Will let you all know what the vet says later

EmmaG
29-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Good luck fran, I hope she is ok

Luke
29-10-2005, 09:42 AM
Oh, that is so sad Luke :( I was hoping that it would be something less serious but now I am worried. Did your friend's cats have any other symptoms?
she was very tired and slept more than usual, found it a chore to eat with her head down, often walked with her head dragging, would slip off things and not realise, started to have 'accidents' around the house, it was a sad demise.
I pray for you Fran that Lucky has not got this

Mags
29-10-2005, 10:07 AM
I hope it is nothing too serious PK, fingers crossed that everything will be ok. Keep us informed.....{{{{{hugs}}}}} to you both x

Tom
29-10-2005, 10:20 AM
UPDATE...

Lucky has just in the last 15 mins fallen off of the settee mum is really woried and has set off to the vets ....

Fran
29-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Ok....just back from the vets. Firstly, the vet is not 100% sure what is wrong. She doesn't think brain tumour so at least that is something. She says it could be a small stroke but she is more inclined to think arthritis as she says she is very stiff in her back hips especially the left one which she says is uncomfortable for her. She has given her a long acting steroid injection and she has to go back on Monday and take it from there. She has a slight heart mumur but she said that was to be expected at her age although she couldn't get over how old she is as she thinks she looks very much younger :) She reckons cats of this sort of age are much more 'pinched' looking in the face and don't tend to carry their weight as well as she is although I think she is a real scrawn bag :? so that cheared me up :) Fingers crossed it is arthritis as she can be managed on medication the vet said......

Jeanette
29-10-2005, 11:53 AM
That is great news:-)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Lucky:-)

Fran
29-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Thank you J :)

Moli
29-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Thats great news PK, so pleased she is home, fingers crossed for her...........

Fran
29-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks Moli...I feared the worst, I know it could still be bad news but fingers crossed the injection works

Mags
29-10-2005, 12:47 PM
That's good news PK, I hope that injection helps her.......so pleased the news wasn't more serious. Keep us informed on how she is......{{{hugs}}}

Fran
29-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Thank you Mags, she is sleeping right now so I am going to take the opportunity to get some household chores done :roll: andI have the puppy pen to take down :( I want to be able to sit with her when she wakes up...

dinahsmum
29-10-2005, 01:31 PM
Fingers crossed PK.
Let's hope she responds like Kazz's Oscar and is soon acting like a teenager again.
:cat21

Fran
29-10-2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks DM....I hope so

Jac
29-10-2005, 05:37 PM
PK must be honest I was fearing worse!! I'm glad things are looking good. Keep us posted please.

yola
29-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Do you think it might be something to do with the ear which could affect the balance? Maybe your vet could check that out . . . ear infections can cause similar effects to vertigo and disorientate in the most horrible way.

Just a thought . . .

Kazz
29-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Sorry PK only just caught up on the threads - but No Oscar did not fall over but he was very very stiff and did "kinda" appear to stumble occasionaly as if was brain was in gear but his legs just did not want to play:( .

I can see why you would be worried, so would. But I hope the streroid works for you what was it called? It worked fine for Oscar. Oh he was diagnosed with a heart murmur too I just said as long as his heart is beating I don't mind it murmuring.:roll:

And another important thing to bear in mind of course 18 years old is still a youngster -:-D

Karen

Fran
29-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Thanks all...

Yola...the vet didn't check her ears but I did wonder the same thing. She hasn't got a temperature though and doesn't appear to have ear problems in respect she isn't rubbing them or shaking her head??

Kazz..yes it appears as if her brain says go and her legs don't :( although my gut instinct is this is not due to arthritis. She is no better since having the steroid injection (I don't know the name of the injection she was given) :( I realise 18 is very young at the aside of 23 but it's a good age (83 years old in human terms :shock: ) and I am thinking I may have to come to terms with the fact that she won't see 19 :cry:

will keep you updated....

Kazz
29-10-2005, 07:28 PM
PK I did not mean to be flippant - I know 18 is a good age. But Age is the one battle we none of us will win, I always go with my gut - you always know your cat best.

Do take care my friend, take care Karen

EmmaG
29-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Pk it might help to have a look at this site, you might find somebody has had a similar experience

http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/catindex.html

I have found the site excellent in the past.

Fran
29-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Kazz - I didn't take your reply as flippant :D Thank you for your support :cool:

Emma - thank you for the link, I will go and have a look now :)

Moli
30-10-2005, 10:50 AM
How is Lucky, PK??

Emm
30-10-2005, 10:55 AM
I've just seen this thread - I hope Lucky is doing better.

I've not had any experiance with cats with those symptoms but my Yorkshire Terrier I had did have those symptoms and the vet said it was mini strokes - he lived for a couple of years after he first had them

Mags
30-10-2005, 10:58 AM
How is Lucky today PK?

Kazz
30-10-2005, 11:10 AM
How's Lucky today then?

Fran
30-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Morning Mags, she is much the same really :( still stumbling and falling over sometimes. She can manage to jump on and off the settee, it's just when she is standing say at her food bowl she just seems to lose her balance and topples over :(

Fran
30-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Morning Kazz :smt039

yola
30-10-2005, 11:17 AM
PK, that must be very distressing for you to see. I'd be very upset if one of mine was just keeling over like that :(

Fran
30-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Thanks Yola...yes it is but the strange thing is she doesn't seem in any distress at all?? She is eating normally - well as normally as Lucky does and is talking to me as usual. She isn't hesitant about getting on and off the settee and is using the litter box as normal....strange one this is

Mags
30-10-2005, 11:21 AM
Perhaps it really is a bit of arthritis causing it then PK:?

Fran
30-10-2005, 11:26 AM
My gut instinct is it is not arthritis Mags. I would have expected it to have come on more gradually if it was arthritis and I would expect her to have problems getting on and off the settee. plus which the injection the vet gave her for arthritis hasn't worked at all :( To me it seems like a balance problem or possibly a mini stroke...

Kazz
30-10-2005, 11:29 AM
PK I've had a flash of inspiration (:roll: ) is her sight alright?

I ask because you say she is okay in herself can jump on and off the sofa but looses her balance at the food bowl maybe its judging the distance she can't do? It could be something thats crept up on you.

Karen

Fran
30-10-2005, 11:38 AM
There's a thought Kazz...I really don't know how good her sight is? She managed to chase a mouse around the house the other week though :roll:

I will mention it to the vet on Monday and will also get her to check her ears..

Kazz
30-10-2005, 11:43 AM
But cats chase on other senses including hearing, and smell not always sight. But I'd be tempted to think sight or an inner ear infection. But something in my gut tells me sight,:? I mean an ear infection would affect her ability to jump on the sofa where as with sight the sofa is the same as its always been?

Karen

Fran
30-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Yes you could be right Kazz, I will definitely be asking the vet on Monday. How would they check her sight do you think?

Mags
30-10-2005, 12:02 PM
I would think they could tell a lot by looking deep into her eyes PK.....

Fran
30-10-2005, 12:06 PM
I am hoping for a more definite diagnosis on Monday...or at least some tests..

Elaine
30-10-2005, 12:14 PM
I am so sorry PK. I hope the vet can get to the bottom of this tomorrow. Its always better to know exactly what you are dealing with. If you feel it may be her sight, just a thought, but have you tried elevating her food bowls etc, so that she doesnt have to lower her head too much. I am sure I have read something before, probably on a CRF site, about similar things.
I dont want to cause any alarm but has the vet done any blood tests? Its just that my old boy was diagnosed with CRF after losing the use of his hind legs. Not sure exactly the connection but he has been on steriod tablets ever since.
Hope all goes well for you and you kitty.

Kazz
30-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Hi PK and Elaine I admit it is possible but somehow Lucky's "signs" don't shout out CRF do they? although with her age CRF is possible - like the heart murmur situation, its something that lots of older cats suffer from.:? Like diabetes - a common ailment in older cats.
But you never know. Good luck at the vets tomorrow PK and Oscar and Cleo both had their front legsshaved to have the blood taken - they were none the worse for wear - so nothing to be worried aboutif they suggest taking blood.

The Piddler
30-10-2005, 03:29 PM
PK ~ I am sorry to learn that you are having such health issues with your older kitty :( I wll pray that she gets good reports at the Vets tomorrow! A small TIA or inner ear infection might just be the culprit. Also if she is running any low grade fevers, etc it might be a UTI. My old fella who is 21 has cataracts in his eyes - your kitty may have them - when you look straight into her eyes do they appear 'cloudy' at all? That could be some of the sight issues.
At any rate, I know you are worried sick about her! Please let us know how you make out *hugs*
Deb

Fran
30-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Thanks all...and thanks for that crf link Kazz. I read with interest and her symptoms fit with som many disorders I really wouldn't know what is wrong with her :? I am going to ask the vet to do some blood work and let's just see what is going on....

Kazz
30-10-2005, 04:44 PM
I have had a look at lots of links too, and Lucky's symptoms as you say fit so many,:? I hope you get some joy from the vets tomorrow. Karen

Jac
30-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Hi everyone , I would go with the inner ear or her eyes, for what it's worth. I'm no great shakes with illnesses but I will keep my fingers crossed for you both tomorrow.
Sorry the injection didnt work. Please let us know what the vet says tomorrow.

Elaine
30-10-2005, 09:45 PM
All the very best of luck for tomorrow. Fingers and paws are all crossed here, hope it goes well.

Fran
30-10-2005, 09:47 PM
Thank you Elaine....She has an appointment at 4.50pm tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.

Kazz
30-10-2005, 09:51 PM
Good Lord have we got another falling over cat? You shouldspeak to PK - Fran

Kazz
30-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Hang on whats up here???????????????:shock:

Fran
30-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Kazz - are you having a senior moment :shock: :-D

Kazz
30-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Blinking Hell; I though Fran was another person then - this is annoying me now :mad: PK so you are now Fran??????????????

Fran
30-10-2005, 10:36 PM
:lol: I am Kazz. I didn't realise this would cause so much confusion or I would have stayed as PK :roll:

Moli
30-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Seems we have a rush of senior moments amongst members tonight!! me included!!!

Moli
30-10-2005, 10:42 PM
Hope all goes well with Lucky tomorrow PK, will be thinking of you.........

Fran
30-10-2005, 10:46 PM
Thanks Moli :)

Elaine
31-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Hiya Fran. Any news on how kitty is today? How did you get on at the vets?

Fran
31-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Hi Elaine...thank you for asking,sorry just haven't got around to updating yet as just catching up on the loads of threads I've missed during the day :shock: :-D

Well, the vet I saw today was my regular vet who is very experienced and has a particular speciality in cats. She says it is not a stroke or arthritis or thyroid trouble. She checked her ears, eyes, vision, balance and cranial signs and all were spot on. She couldn't get over how well she looks and kept going on about how she see's cats at 13 who look so much older than Lucky :) Even her teeth are not in too bad nick for her age :) All very reassuring but I still wanted to know why she has been falling over :roll: So she has taken bloods for liver and kidney function and diabetes and I get the results at 4ish tomorrow. She has decided on no treatment until she has the blood results.

Have to say though that Lucky seems a little better today and hasn't had very many falling over spells :? so we will have to see what the tests reveal.....

Mags
31-10-2005, 10:13 PM
I hope the news will be good tomorrow Fran.......

Moli
31-10-2005, 10:15 PM
Give Lucky a great big snuggle from me PK, she is a special little girl................

Fran
31-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks, Mags and Moli...I am hoping for good news tomorrow but I realise at her age it would be unlikely that she has perfect blood results :roll:

Kazz
31-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Oh thats great news really really great news.:D I am pleased.

Karen

Fran
31-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks Kazz :-D Actally I was talking about your cats to my vet and explaining how old they were. She was very impressed! and said vets rarely see cats of that age and was so pleased that they are still doing so well. She thought it was a real heart warming story and an inspiration to all those who have veteran cats :-)

She said the average lifespan of cats was 13 years....

bobbie3917
31-10-2005, 10:35 PM
hi Fran sorry missed all of this i hope the vet can find out what is wrong with her ((hugs))

Luke
31-10-2005, 10:36 PM
hope all goes well for the old girl :)

Fran
31-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Thank you Nat...me too!
Thanks Luke..

It's great having support from everyone on here - thanks guys!!

Kazz
31-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Really is the average ago 13:shock: I did not know that I will tell my two :D wellmaybe next year.;) Oh they came out for the trick treaters too - and the little children under 6 were well impressed a cat to stroke.:-D

Fran
31-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Awww....veteran cats are just so layed back about life me thinks. Lucky took all the tests in her stride and never grumbled once and still happily let the vet have a cuddle afterwards :)

Apparantly 13 is the average - I was shocked too I would have thought more 15/16..

EmmaG
31-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Yes I have heard that the average lifespan for a cat is 13.

Kazz
31-10-2005, 10:58 PM
I'd have said 15-16 too:D and I think they are so laid back because they have seen everything at least once before.:D

dinahsmum
01-11-2005, 09:23 AM
I saw a Burns nutrition leaflet which said the avarage lifespan for cats was now 20 years. Now whether that is for babies born today, rather than those born 20 years ago, who knows?
It must be incredibly hard to estimate anyway, when you think how many are lost early due to road accidents, how many 'move house', leaving their original owners unaware of what has happened etc etc.
I have lost 3 cats to old age, all in their late teens but my current pair at 15 and 17 don't appear to be contemplating turning their toes up yet (hopefully!)
:cat21