PDA

View Full Version : cat litter

CathyW
27-10-2005, 10:17 PM
what sort of litter do u use (or should i say your cat uses) we go to the farm shop and buy pettex,but couldnt get there this wekk so have to make do with tescos,which they get on their paws and drag all through the hallway:?

Amadeus
27-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Thomas

Pretty good, but still does sometimes get on the carpet.

EmmaG
27-10-2005, 10:23 PM
I use Catsan or Sainsburys non clumping litter, they still manage to get it everywhere !

Mags
27-10-2005, 10:24 PM
I get Thomas cat litter for Cassie.....I find it clumps better than a lot of the others....

Luke
27-10-2005, 10:33 PM
Thomas cat litter as it clumps better, and it isn't overly expensive

Fran
27-10-2005, 11:01 PM
I use Asda's own lightweight which I find as good as catsan at a fraction of the cost ;)

Moli
27-10-2005, 11:05 PM
I use Catstan, find it lasts a lot longer...

Fran
27-10-2005, 11:08 PM
I use Catstan, find it lasts a lot longer...

I think Asda's lightweight is comparable with catsan and is a lot cheaper ;)

Moli
27-10-2005, 11:13 PM
I think Asda's lightweight is comparable with catsan and is a lot cheaper ;)I will have to try it PK....:)

Abbi
28-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Catsan, but again they get it everywhere!!!!

dinahsmum
28-10-2005, 09:00 AM
I like the compressed sawdust stuff - nice solid pellets until moistened when it turns back to sawdust and you know it needs changing.

I believe it's a bit hard on their feet though................

Jac
28-10-2005, 09:44 AM
I use the same as Dinasmum, I buy pets at home's stuff, although they do tend to get it all over the place.
I'm going to get a litter tray with a lid though so that should help.

Mags
28-10-2005, 09:48 AM
They still manage to get it out of those Jac:roll: Though saying that it should be ok if you leave the flap door on it.......I've taken it off as Cassie wouldn't use it with the flap on:roll:

Jac
28-10-2005, 09:56 AM
I was a bit worried about that Mags. What happens if they wont use it? I have an open tray at the moment. God C-Fur has to be the first to use it when I change the litter. Ive even had him use it when It's been washed, dryed and left until I got the bag to fill it up again! A matter of less than a min:?

Luke
28-10-2005, 09:58 AM
I was a bit worried about that Mags. What happens if they wont use it? I have an open tray at the moment. God C-Fur has to be the first to use it when I change the litter. Ive even had him use it when It's been washed, dryed and left until I got the bag to fill it up again! A matter of less than a min:?
Clementine got used to her covered litter tray when she was abot 8 months, we just set it up and put her old litter tray in the new one till she got used to it, then she used it as a litter tray instead of a play house :roll:

EmmaG
28-10-2005, 09:58 AM
Jac my cat Arthur does that, he can even go just before I empty it, as soon as I do he is back in there

Jac
28-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Luke, thanks for that tip.

EmmaG there funny wee things arnt they

Fran
28-10-2005, 11:20 AM
They still manage to get it out of those Jac:roll: Though saying that it should be ok if you leave the flap door on it.......I've taken it off as Cassie wouldn't use it with the flap on:roll:

I've had to take my the flap doors off mine too Mags as Lucky won't use them with the doors on :roll:

Mags
28-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Jac, Cassie had an ordinary litter tray until 2 years ago when she was 6. I decided to change to the covered one as it was more hygenic.....all I did was gently guide her to it a few times so that just her front paws were inside. She soon got inquisitive and christened it:-D I took the old tray away as soon as I got the new one, but if you think you may have difficulty getting them to use it, put the old litter from the old tray in it for the first time and they should be no trouble.

Az
28-10-2005, 03:47 PM
We use Sophisticat GREEN

Got the 'pink' one once cos i thought it said deoderised but it was perfumed :roll: YUK!! It was so disgusting that Cheetah refused to use it!! steer clear of it lol.

The green one is good tho :lol:

Fran
28-10-2005, 03:50 PM
I haven't heard of sophisticat Azz, where do you buy it?

Az
28-10-2005, 03:57 PM
The smaller pet shops sell it. And pets @ home do it but not sure what colours...

madpiano
31-10-2005, 09:16 AM
Lol, this is actually quite an interesting thread for me, as I have to use a Litter Tray for the first time (my other cats always used mother nature), and I am going through Litter like no tomorrow. I have tried (so far, and we only had him 3 weeks):

- Fuller's Earth - it's ok. It's basically just gravel. Clumps, but breaks apart during scooping, so need to change whole litter every other day
- Thomas - exactly the same stuff as Fuller's Earth, not sure which one is cheaper
- Tescos Value - dead cheap, big bag only cost 1.28, doesn't clump, so ended up changing whole tray twice a day, made it same price as others
- Best In - the stuff they sell at corner shops, very similar to Tesco Value. Both of them are very dusty, but the cat didn't like this one much, not sure why
- World's Best - quite expensive, but wow, is it worth it. No dust (yes, no dust), fairly lightweight, no perfume/deodorizers, but smells of cornflakes, which is kind of nice. Clumps exceptionally well (the soiled parts are just solid clumps, no breaking apart, no little bits left over), looks very different from other cat litters (more like little granules), and locks odour in straight away. It says on the back of the bag you can leave in the tray for a month (with regular scoopings), but I guess I will change it every 2 weeks. Cat is not sure about it yet though. Possibly because it is quite soft and his little paws sink in a bit when he jumps in. He hopefully will get used to it, as I love it. Price-wise it's a bit of a shocker (8.50 for the small bag which fills a big litter tray), but if it lasts all month, it would be cheaper than others. Doesn't stick to paws, and he doesn't dig to China in it (yet), so it stays in the tray.
- will also try: Catsan, Cat's best (a german ecological one made from paper), Sophisticat and clean paws.

Has anyone tried Catsan Clumping Litter yet ? Does it clump well ? I don't think I like non-clumping stuff.

Cheers
Mad

Jac
31-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Hello Mad, welcome to Cat Pages. hope you enjoy it here. Were a friendly bunch and like your signature a bit on the Mad side!

dinahsmum
31-10-2005, 09:54 AM
Good post Madpiano!

:smt039 Hi, and welcome to CatPages

Mags
31-10-2005, 10:07 AM
Hi Madpiano, welcome to Catpages...I hope you will like it here, we'll chat about anything!
If you go to the Introductions thread you can introduce yourself and your cats to us as we would love to hear more about you all!

CathyW
31-10-2005, 06:17 PM
Lol, this is actually quite an interesting thread for me, as I have to use a Litter Tray for the first time (my other cats always used mother nature), and I am going through Litter like no tomorrow. I have tried (so far, and we only had him 3 weeks):

- Fuller's Earth - it's ok. It's basically just gravel. Clumps, but breaks apart during scooping, so need to change whole litter every other day
- Thomas - exactly the same stuff as Fuller's Earth, not sure which one is cheaper
- Tescos Value - dead cheap, big bag only cost 1.28, doesn't clump, so ended up changing whole tray twice a day, made it same price as others
- Best In - the stuff they sell at corner shops, very similar to Tesco Value. Both of them are very dusty, but the cat didn't like this one much, not sure why
- World's Best - quite expensive, but wow, is it worth it. No dust (yes, no dust), fairly lightweight, no perfume/deodorizers, but smells of cornflakes, which is kind of nice. Clumps exceptionally well (the soiled parts are just solid clumps, no breaking apart, no little bits left over), looks very different from other cat litters (more like little granules), and locks odour in straight away. It says on the back of the bag you can leave in the tray for a month (with regular scoopings), but I guess I will change it every 2 weeks. Cat is not sure about it yet though. Possibly because it is quite soft and his little paws sink in a bit when he jumps in. He hopefully will get used to it, as I love it. Price-wise it's a bit of a shocker (8.50 for the small bag which fills a big litter tray), but if it lasts all month, it would be cheaper than others. Doesn't stick to paws, and he doesn't dig to China in it (yet), so it stays in the tray.
- will also try: Catsan, Cat's best (a german ecological one made from paper), Sophisticat and clean paws.

Has anyone tried Catsan Clumping Litter yet ? Does it clump well ? I don't think I like non-clumping stuff.

Cheers
Madwe buy pettex get it from a farm shop 6-99 approx last for a week,absorbs the smells ect.clumps nicely.
but did u know tot to use clumping litter when training a kitten,they can breath it in and it will clump up in their lungs and kill them,:(
what part of london u in??

madpiano
04-11-2005, 12:01 PM
I am in south london, so no farm shops here, lol.

World's Best is actually fine to use with kittens, because it has no dust and is all natural (they can eat it as well, with no problems). Not sure what the Catsan is like. He is 12 weeks old now, so he should be ok with any clumping litter ?

Luke
04-11-2005, 12:06 PM
we buy pettex get it from a farm shop 6-99 approx last for a week,absorbs the smells ect.clumps nicely.
but did u know tot to use clumping litter when training a kitten,they can breath it in and it will clump up in their lungs and kill them,:(
what part of london u in??
i have never heard of this happening, we have allways usec clump forming litter and all our kits have been fine :?

Naomi
04-11-2005, 01:34 PM
I use the corner shops own, 99p a bag lol

Was using Teco's premium, was like pellets but once they'd weed on it it turned to sawdust. They got that stuff everywhere, they'd flick it out of the tray

CathyW
04-11-2005, 05:56 PM
I am in south london, so no farm shops here, lol.

World's Best is actually fine to use with kittens, because it has no dust and is all natural (they can eat it as well, with no problems). Not sure what the Catsan is like. He is 12 weeks old now, so he should be ok with any clumping litter ?we are just off the nth circular (almost neighbours LOL)

bobbie3917
07-12-2005, 08:48 PM
i use catsan
where do u get yours from Luke/Mags? i have never heard of it

Scarlott will use anything but im finding catsan cost a little to much

any1 tried Worlds Best Cat Litter? im thinking of trying it but only cos they do a breeders scheme :lol:

Fran
07-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Nat, I like Asda's lightweight cat litter. I really think it is as good as Catsan and so very much cheaper. Give it a go and see what you think :D

bobbie3917
07-12-2005, 09:13 PM
if i had an asdas close by i would fran but i dont :cry:

Fran
07-12-2005, 09:16 PM
That's a shame, I really think it is good value for money ..

bobbie3917
07-12-2005, 09:23 PM
do they do home delivery? cos i could order a few bags as long as they dont charge to much to deliver it

Fran
07-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Yeah they do home delivery but not sure what the charge for delivery is. It might not be worth your while ordering it if they charge a lot for delivering it :?

Donna
07-12-2005, 09:43 PM
I use mainly Tesco Value or Co-op own brand.

Dont know lots of the makes previously mentioned but have obviously heard of Catsan. Not tried clumping stuff. Is that for the "wee"? Do you then just take out the clumps so removing all the wet stuff as well as scooping the "solid" eeuch - what a description!!!

Is that better than just replacing the whole lot whenever you change the tray? Chloe I just noticed has "wee'd" on the bathroom mat cos the litter was a bit wet. So would clumping stuff be better?

Mags
07-12-2005, 10:09 PM
i use catsan
where do u get yours from Luke/Mags? i have never heard of it
:lol:
I get it from the local Costcutters store Nat, it's in a bright yellow sack.....I have also bought it in Cadbury Garden Cente. It is not very dear either...

Mags
07-12-2005, 10:12 PM
I use mainly Tesco Value or Co-op own brand.

Dont know lots of the makes previously mentioned but have obviously heard of Catsan. Not tried clumping stuff. Is that for the "wee"? Do you then just take out the clumps so removing all the wet stuff as well as scooping the "solid" eeuch - what a description!!!

Is that better than just replacing the whole lot whenever you change the tray? Chloe I just noticed has "wee'd" on the bathroom mat cos the litter was a bit wet. So would clumping stuff be better?
Donna I use the clumping one and after wees you can lift it on the scoop quite easily, therefore not needing to change the litter so often.....

Kim
08-12-2005, 12:45 AM
I use 'Clean Paws' for mine, it is a clumping cat litter, which I find much easier to clean out. Not the cheapest, but a bag lasts ages.

bobbie3917
08-12-2005, 03:46 AM
thanks Mags i will look out for it

and Fran i will have a look in to asdas website like you said if they charge to much i wont get it

Donna
19-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Donna I use the clumping one and after wees you can lift it on the scoop quite easily, therefore not needing to change the litter so often.....

I have been completely converted thanks to Mags!!

Changed to the Catsan clumping litter which is brilliant. No damp patches in the tray and also bought a hooded litter tray!! Much better! No nasty sights!! Chloe ok with the flap but again Misty the dopey one cant use the flap so took it off and made a lightweight version out of some clear plastic - just to keep all those nasty niffs inside!! Taped it onto the top of the tray so works like a normal flap! Just now need to see her use the "flap"!!!:-D

CathyW
19-12-2005, 05:47 PM
mine are old hands at using the cat flat loos now :D oh dont cut down on the pongs :D

LMC
19-12-2005, 06:05 PM
I'm a big fan of Bob Martin's Litter crystals - a wee bit on the pricey side compared with fuller's earth but not much more expensive than CatSan, and wow, it does "what it says on the tin" (unlike other Bob products I'm sorry to say). No pongs and it lasts for ages - easily two weeks per tray, longer in summer when cats go outside. Also seems to stay in the tray better than most litters - and my mob are dreadful for kicking it around, I just can't use the "light" stuff or Catsan micro granules. Highly recommended and available from Tescos as well as pet stores.

Kay
19-12-2005, 11:08 PM
I have just changed to Worlds Best Cat Litter and I think it is fantastic. It is a lot more expensive and as yet is a little bit harder to find but it does last as long as they say. It is made of corn kernel and is bio-degradable so it can just be flushed down the loo. Much better for the binmen!!! I used to use Catsan which is pretty good and also Litter Pearls which are very good but again they are expensive. They do however last a lot longer.

Naomi
20-12-2005, 10:50 AM
I've just changed Moli's cat litter. I was using Tesco's Premium stuff but went into Pet World and picked up a 20L bag of Bob Martin for about £5 i think it was. This cat litter Moli doesn't seem to flick about as much as the other stuff so I'm happy :D

bobbie3917
20-12-2005, 06:27 PM
i have just changed to Worlds Best Cat Litter and i do agree its great it clumps every good, i have only had it a few days but i can see already that it will last longer then Catsan