PDA

View Full Version : Loved the book - hated the film

dinahsmum
21-10-2005, 07:54 PM
What are your nominations?

I'll start with 2

1. Captain Correli's Mandolin
Loved the book (although it took some getting in to) and have read it 4 times now (each time on holiday in Greece! mmm), think Nicholas Cage is a v good actor, neutral on Penelope Cruz. Hated the film which was simplistic, not faithful to the book - indeed omitted over half the book - and its only redeeming factor was the great location.

2. Chocolat
Now it's not the greatest book but enjoyable enough. The film just diluted the theme (can you be a good but ungodly person; can you be a bad but allegedly godly person?), to her v The Mayor (!). The supporting characters weren't right - especially her Johnny Depp as her red-haired (not!) love interest and the Judi Dench character.

Mags
21-10-2005, 08:57 PM
I'm afraid I haven't read the books or seen the films of either DM so can't comment...sorry :(

Kazz
21-10-2005, 09:33 PM
1. She By H Ryder Haggard - loved the book in fact adored the book hated the film all looked like plastic the scenery and the acting was poor to say the least.

Karen

bobbie3917
21-10-2005, 10:11 PM
IT - read the book as a 12 year old and it really sceard me, my mother let me watch the film as a 15 year old and it was rubish read the book again 2 years ago and again it sceard me