PDA

View Full Version : Active, non-active register question

Luke
18-10-2005, 06:58 PM
a quick question, if a cat is on non-active regsiter does this mean that he/she has to be neutered by a certain age?
or is that just when you sign a contract stating so?
Best wishes

bobbie3917
18-10-2005, 08:26 PM
most breeders will ask you to neuter by 6 months if on non active
and if the cat is not for breding then its a good idea as even girls can spray when calling and they dont call it calling for nothing

Het
19-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Am I right in thinking that a kitten can be transferred from non active to Active?

Jade1991
19-10-2005, 04:45 PM
If the breeder has put this kitten on the Non Active register you can not breed from your kitten, but you can still show & you will have to have the kitten Neutered or speyed & it's great fun showing a neuter. If you go to the gccf web site this will tell you all you need to know about showing or go to a cat show.

Jade1991
19-10-2005, 04:54 PM
no If the breeder has specifically put this kitten on the Non Active register then It can not breed from he/she but you can show as a neuter classes.

Luke
19-10-2005, 05:15 PM
But if it was a question as to proving to the breeder in the lead up to and after the first call that you ere able to provide the necesary care of a queen in call to keep her away from toms etc, then the breeder saw fit could the kitten be transfered onto active?

Het
19-10-2005, 06:12 PM
I thought it was possible to transfer them from reading this on the GCCF literature

The GCCF will not register kittens born from a parent on the Non-Active register and cats may only be transferred from the Non-Active to the Active register by the breeder or the person who first registered the cat, who is under no obligation to do so. This does not mean that cats registered on the Non-Active register will not be bred from but it does make their kittens of less value, and so discourages the new owner from breeding. Stud owners should be aware that Non-Active registered cats should not be accepted to stud, and owners of studs and queens should ensure that any prospective mate is on the Active register by asking to see the registration or transfer certificate. A Non-Active registration will have the words 'NO PROGENY TO BE REGISTERED' printed on the certificate, beside the registered owner's name and address.

bobbie3917
19-10-2005, 08:52 PM
yes a breeder can put a cat on to the active reg after it has been on the non active but only the breeder can do that. and its not that you have showed the breeder that you can look after the cat as both on active and non active should be looked after the same its the quality of the kitten/cat.

most breeders like you to at least show a neuter for a few years before selling a cat on the active reg

Luke
19-10-2005, 08:56 PM
yes a breeder can put a cat on to the active reg after it has been on the non active but only the breeder can do that. and its not that you have showed the breeder that you can look after the cat as both on active and non active should be looked after the same its the quality of the kitten/cat.

most breeders like you to at least show a neuter for a few years before selling a cat on the active reg
I wasn't saying the kittens care would be any different! just saying the breeder wanted us to prove that we could keep an intact queen on call away from the moggy toms!

bobbie3917
19-10-2005, 09:21 PM
no luke i know u wernt saying that

i have never heard of a breeder doing that so i cant sa.
so i guess you want to get in to breeding then? i hope this is what you mother wants and not you, a child should have nothing to do with the breeding of any animal, yes i have kids but they know nothing about what goes on they know when an animal is preg and they also meet the kittens/pups when they are 3 weeks and not before. my oldest is 9 and has never seen anything born other than on TV.

Jade1991
20-10-2005, 03:44 PM
NO! you can not breed from a cat thats on the non active register this is done by the Breeder for a specific reason, if it's on the Pink slip You Can not breed from your girl, if you have a male cat he will go mental and the noise that a female cat makes is terrible. Be guided by the Breeder !!

Luke
20-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Then, why may i ask did a breeder we may be purchasing a kitten off, say that if we could assure her in some way (don't know how) that we would breed responsibly, and only to a pedigree si, not to any old tom that she would think about putting the kitten on active?

Az
20-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Luke you should be honest with the breeder from the outset... if your mum is thinking about breeding she should mention it. The breeder might say they will lift the endorsment and put the cat on the active register after inspecting it when its matured, they may also say you must pay a fee in line with that of a breeding animal too (ie so the total you pay is what you would have paid for a breeding queen /stud to begin with). They might also specify that it can only be bred with cats they (the breeder) approves etc

At the end of the day the breeder will have final say on whether or not the cat can be bred and on what basis - which is understandable as they have worked hard with their 'lines' and don't want people to wreck that in anyway...

Luke
20-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Hi Az
i see what your saying, see i didnt have the foggiest what all this active, non active stuff means twas very confusing (mind you dont take a lot to confuse me :roll:) anyways we aren't intersted in buying a pedigree to breed, we just want a pet but a litter would have been nice, but to have the right kitten regardless of registration is more important to me :wink:

Jade1991
20-10-2005, 04:23 PM
I would not advise to you to breed from any breed of cat think of all the pet cats & kittens (non pedigree's) & think of all the stray cats & kittens that have been abandond in care homes & it's a struggle to find homes for them & yes they will be neutered if they find homes for them.

bobbie3917
20-10-2005, 04:24 PM
well find the breed you want and go on a waiting list for a pet cat it will be cheeper than a queen and it will not matter if its male or female after it has been 'done' and you will also find a breeder faster then you are now

Het
20-10-2005, 04:25 PM
NO! you can not breed from a cat thats on the non active register this is done by the Breeder for a specific reason, if it's on the Pink slip You Can not breed from your girl, if you have a male cat he will go mental and the noise that a female cat makes is terrible. Be guided by the Breeder !!

I think you have not read Lukes question correctly. What he was asking was that if the breeder so wished, was it possible for her ie the breeder to transfer the cat from non active to active, which as has been answered, it is possible.

Jade1991
20-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Another thing I was going to say is Breeding can be very expensive you dont make any money it's all paying out think of the Vets bills, Stud fee's and the innoculations ah yes and the Registration fees & feeding the kittens & the Queen (thats what they call a female) you will be out of pocket. I should know as I used to be a breeder but have retired. Sorry!!! I rest my case.

Jac
20-10-2005, 06:34 PM
What did you breed Jade?

Jade1991
20-10-2005, 07:20 PM
Some years ago I used to breed & show Siamese & then I bred Oriental Spotties also showing them, one of the spotties I bred became my first homebred Champion & her Mum was made up to a Premier.

Jac
20-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Well done. Do you have any photo's? probably a stupid question.:lol:

Jac
20-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Luke,
What are you thinking about getting now?

Thought you were going to get a wee moggie

Jade1991
20-10-2005, 09:49 PM
no sorry Jac unfortunately I dont have a photo that I can upload from my computer.

mary01
12-02-2007, 07:21 PM
hi my moggi just seems to eat and eat he is always hungry and very demanding. he has got so fat

smudgley
12-02-2007, 09:57 PM
no luke i know u wernt saying that

i have never heard of a breeder doing that so i cant sa.
so i guess you want to get in to breeding then? i hope this is what you mother wants and not you, a child should have nothing to do with the breeding of any animal, yes i have kids but they know nothing about what goes on they know when an animal is preg and they also meet the kittens/pups when they are 3 weeks and not before. my oldest is 9 and has never seen anything born other than on TV.

Just thought I'd put my thoughts in here about your comment regarding your kids as I hold a very different view (sorry to Luke that this is slighly off topic)
My kids have seen dogs & cats being born from when they were very young. When my 1st child was born we had a litter of pups at home. They've seen & been involved with lots of cats & dogs giving birth, they've seen a stillborn pup being born. Lifes about ups & downs. My kids have seen dogs mating & probably understand more about life/birth than most kids their age.

charliebubs
12-02-2007, 10:40 PM
I agree with Smudgley - children shouldn't be kept away from the ups and downs of nature and life.

I'm not sure if it's rude to ask, but how old are you Luke?! lol

:)

Elaine
13-02-2007, 10:56 AM
I would not advise to you to breed from any breed of cat think of all the pet cats & kittens (non pedigree's) & think of all the stray cats & kittens that have been abandond in care homes & it's a struggle to find homes for them & yes they will be neutered if they find homes for them.

Sorry to be a party pooper but I have to agree with this and feel pretty strongly about it. I am not here to judge people but feel there are more than enough breeders out there and very sadly there are way too many kitties, pedigree or non pedigree desperately in need of good loving homes.

dinahsmum
13-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Guys! :shock:
What's going on - this thread is from October 2005. Now it's stirred up all sorts of stuff that's probably best unstirred.
We had a spate of this a while back and it doesn't half get confusing :? - well, it does to me anyway.
So, please, even if someone makes a ?mistake? and somehow manages to resurrect an ancient thread, don't breathe life into it by replying (except maybe asking them to repost in an appropriate place.)
Sorry to be a nag :roll:

charliebubs
13-02-2007, 12:42 PM
You're totally right DM!!! I noticed that after I had posted!!! Oops!!!! :) :)

smudgley
13-02-2007, 12:45 PM
whoops.... Sorry :oops: had no idea it was an old thread, didn't look at the dates to be honest. :roll:

Elaine
13-02-2007, 01:10 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: I hadnt noticed the dates at all:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lets put this one to bed:lol:

smudgley
13-02-2007, 01:44 PM
The End

---------------------------------------------------

Mags
13-02-2007, 03:16 PM
And Locked!