PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks..

Moli
17-10-2005, 03:21 PM
My new neighbours, who are really nice, have 3 young childrn, they have just told me they are geting fireworks for their kids this year..Everybody round here has animals, horses, dogs cats, goats a real mix of different things.so it looks like nov 5th this year is going to be awful...Our local villiage puts on a display, but they would rather set them off in their own garden!! I have one dog (Gypsy) who freaks out with fireworks, but what about the horses, how will they react?

Mags
17-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Do these neighbours have any animals themselves Moli? Some people just don't think how upsetting it can be for the poor pets. Let's hope Gypsy gets through it alright:(

yola
17-10-2005, 03:49 PM
We had them going off last night. Not only did it wake the nipper up, but the cats fair pooed themselves (sorry)!!. I think it's Diwalli (sp) at the moment and as we have a big Asian community we seem to get fireworks for about 3 weeks in a row coz they kind of run into guy fawkes . . .

I will be taking Dominik to an organized firework display as I don't really agree with holding domestic displays in built-up areas.

What about stray cats? We have some that I feed and I always fear for them at this time of year . . . they don't have a bed or sofa to hide under :cry:

deester
17-10-2005, 03:51 PM
You should try and tell them nicely that alot of the neighbours have pets and that they should post leaflets warning all the neighbours that theyre setting off fireworks and approx what time and date. So people can shelter their animals. My dogs hate fireworks but I always leave the tv on loud and the radio to block out as much as possible.

I love fireworks but sometimes people don't realise the consequences of them, last year I was nursing my dad in hospital and every bang i thought wld kill him - it was awful and upset me deeply (this yr that is all i will think of, i'm dreading it).

dinahsmum
17-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Still find it incredible that anyone can purchase explosives! :roll:

Organised displays or nothing, that's what I say. Vote for me!!!!!!:lol:

deester
17-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Still find it incredible that anyone can purchase explosives! :roll:

Organised displays or nothing, that's what I say. Vote for me!!!!!!:lol:

I agree they shldn't be sold theyre far too powerful for gardens. I'm sure they never used to be so big loud and powerful.

Naomi
17-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Actually I'm glad you mentiond fireworks. I must remember to tell Jas' new owner that he is scared stiff of fireworks and she'd have to give him herbal sleeping tablets :roll:

I hate this time of year altho the past few years we've only had oranized displays, not many setting them off in their own gardens thankfully

Emm
17-10-2005, 04:29 PM
I hate fireworks - I can't believe that it is legal to allow people to buy and set them off!
Where I am the problem is kids with fireworks and parents actually buy them and give them to their kids!!!

Amanda
17-10-2005, 11:14 PM
I hope you manage to come to some sort of aggreement with your neighbours Moli.

I detest fireworks too and wish they were banned. Having a firework shop in the city centre doesn't help as every tom, dick and harry can buy them all year round :(

Fran
17-10-2005, 11:22 PM
They don't bother my dogs or my cats although Claude and Clooney have not yet experienced bonfire night :? They don't even seem to upset the rabbits. Our horse is ok as long as he is in his stable when they go off. If fireworks go off when he is in a field he just charges around at top speed :shock: Horses are not fond of fireworks being flight animals :(

Jac
18-10-2005, 03:28 AM
I'm Lucky nothing like that bothers Blue. Not sure how the Cats will be this year though.
In Ireland you need to purchase a personal licence before they will sell you fireworks, think we could be doing with something like that here.

Az
18-10-2005, 12:01 PM
I think they should be banned as well!

A couple of years ago I was doing them down my mums and I'd like to think I am a responsible person. I made sure all the kids were far away from the setting off area and all the other safety rules. I can't remember what happened but I told the kids to go inside and watch from there as my mums place has fairly large patios and windows. Anyway I let of this giant rocket BUT it came loose and off it's stick so instead of goin up in the air it went towards where they would have been standing :evil: it then flew around the side of the house and went off down the road. It was like a missile!!

I have hated them ever since, and even more so now that I have my own pets!!

I think they should be banned and only organised displays should take place!

Mags
18-10-2005, 01:19 PM
What a blessing you told the kiddies to go inside Az....that could have been very nasty.....
My children never had fireworks but I did let them have sparklers...

Naomi
18-10-2005, 01:22 PM
As kids we used to have sparklers. I loved them. I am more than happy sitting in the kids bedrooms with them watching the fireworks going off.

Az
18-10-2005, 01:36 PM
Must admit I hate sparklers too :( they can get soooooooooooooooooo hot I'd hate to see a child pick one up accidently (and loads do every year :( )

I'm such a party pooper aren't i? :lol:

--

Whats it like in America @ La kitten and our American friends :)

Purity
18-10-2005, 01:55 PM
I know what you mean about Sparklers - I wrapped my hand round the hot end of one when I was little, I can still remember how much I screamed! Also agree that fireworks should be for organised displays only.

Naomi
18-10-2005, 03:23 PM
:lol: @ Azz, your just very, very caring that's all

Mags
18-10-2005, 03:25 PM
So all we'd get at your bonfire parties Azz is baked potatoes and hot dogs :roll: :-D

Naomi
18-10-2005, 03:28 PM
He'd insist on woollie mits first Mags :D

Mags
18-10-2005, 03:35 PM
I bet even the mustard won't be hot Nae :roll: :lol:

Naomi
18-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Well count me out then of going to his Bonfire party unless of course I sneak a bottle of Tobasco sauce in :lol:

Fran
18-10-2005, 05:24 PM
I bet even the mustard won't be hot Nae :roll: :lol:

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005