PDA

View Full Version : Why did you choose.........

Kazz
15-10-2005, 07:19 PM
Why did you all choose the cats you have ie why did you choose a pedigree instead of a moggie - why did you get a kitten instead of an adult, why a rescue?

Luke's question has prompted me to ask this, as it got me thinking why we choose what we did.

Kazz
15-10-2005, 07:26 PM
I'll start I moved out of my parents and wanted an animal a dog was out of the question so a friend of a friend had a cat with kittens - I went to see and came out with Blackwhite Tom called Archie - he made coming home to an empty flat -feel like coming home:-D he was run over and killed outside the flat aged 9 months, the vet suggested I went and saw a kitten from the local cat rescue lady - I swore I would not have another cat - then I swore not a black and white - then Iswore not another Tom - I went and saw the lady who had the kittens they'd been dumped in a black bin liner in a multi storey car park and fell in love with a ginger and white female kitten whose name I had already decided would be Cleo. I listened as the lady explained the circumstances and the fact the other surviving kitten a Tom was scared and had been abused, I nodded but took no notice I had my kitten. As I went to put the kitten in the basket the little ugly Tom kitten appeared and played with my trainer lace the lady had not seen him for a couple of days he had no whiskers and scabs from cigarette burns and ears too big - that was and is Oscar.

Karen

samwise
15-10-2005, 07:33 PM
When I first bought my own place I couldn't wait to get cats!:) I got 2 adults from Cat Protection, I didnt plan on either adults or kittens. I just phoned up and said I would like a pair and I ended up with mother and daughter. They unfortunately abandoned me! :( I was very upset but it was quite sweet really.:) My neighbour was very ill with cancer and they just latched onto him and were totally devoted to him!
The other 2 I rescued from a farm and stables, both as very young kittens. Not planned, just couldnt say no!:oops: :roll: :roll:

bobbie3917
15-10-2005, 07:40 PM
they are so lucky they found u Kazz

i picked the breed i liked as i wanted a cat where i would know what temperament it would have and both Maine coons and Ragdolls are very good with ppl and kids and find it easy to settle with other animals. and i also like there large size

when i sore a pic of Scarlott i fell in love
we were not mente to have a kitten from that litter but the breeder said we could have the kitten she was keeping we were so lucky

Emm
15-10-2005, 07:42 PM
I had left home and was actually planning on getting a rat but I was walking past a pet shop and saw this really thin scraggly cat and brought him home with me and called him Lao Tzu. We decided to get a playmate for him and some-one knew of some kittens and we got Sheng - she unfortuantely died at only a few months of age on Hogmany. Lao went into a deep depression so we wnt to the rescue got a home check done and brought home Confucious. Then a neighbours cat got pregnant and we were offered one from the litter - we got to see all the kittens from the first day they were born and watch them grow up we named her Professor. Then the same neighbour had to re home all her cats and by this time her cat had had kittens again she asked if we would like one of the kittens and brought home Mencius.

Tippy Toes I collected from a family members home who was having troubles and I was supposed to foster her for a short time after a year I said to * that Tippy Toes was just going to stay with me and she did for 4 years until she died a few months ago.

sorry for the long post

Luke
15-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Clementine was bred by my mums best friend Sue, Sue runs a riding stable but also breeds pedigree Ragdolls, now one of her ragdolls escaped and got friendly with 1 of the stable yard ferals that were given residence in return for sorting out the mouse problem.
Now Clementine's litter were an inconveinience so Sue decided to lock them and their mother away in a cat pen and have nothing to do with them i would play with them whenever i went but when they reached 4 weeks they were aloud free roaming in the stable :shock: :shock: (i know) they were basically going to be left to live a life of wildness but i vowed different the 4 wee kittens took refuge at 4 weeks with the stable yard Border terrier, Trip, now Trip wasnt a cat lover but she loved these kittens, and it pained me to see these tiny kittens left out to fend for themselves jsut because their father was one of the stable yard mousing mogs, or possibly a traditional type si who roamed the yonder:lol: , so i set out to find homes for all of these kittens, and did so!
Clementine came to live with us, 2 of her brothers max and Monty went to live with my grandmothers next door neighbour and her other brother named Hector went to live with a kindly man who owns the post office.
Clementine was allways destined to be different and if i hadn't had been such a stubborn child, who would have known what would have became of her and siblings!

Emm
15-10-2005, 07:57 PM
that was really good of you to do that for those kittens luke - gave them all a chance at a good life :D

Az
15-10-2005, 08:04 PM
I wanted a Bengal because they are quite 'dog-like' in their personality (very people orientated, can play fetch walk on lead etc) and off course their looks - I think they are stunning! :lol:

But I also love so many other breeds! For lots of different reasons. :)

I posted this is Lukes thread but will copy it here too:

Thats what I love about the 'breeds' they are all quite different in how they are :)

You have laid back easy going cats like Persians, manic involved in eveything you-do-I-want-to-be-involved-in-to cats (like the Siamese!). If you 'just want a cat' but are not bothered by what it is/will be like then sure I would say get a moggie. But if you want specific traits or a 'certain type' of cat, get a breed ;)

yola
17-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Kazz - ain't that just the way? I believe a cat will seek out the one they want to be with, you obviously had Oscar's name written all over you!!

Luke - that's so sweet that you helped those poor kitties . . . you have a very kind heart

Well - I was always a very non-cat person. It was only my 2nd hubby who insisted when we finally finished with renting and bought a house that we should have a cat . . . a house not being a home without a cat. So I decided if I was to have a cat it would be a 'designer' one (once you get to know me you'll understand why most people just :roll: roll their eyes :roll: when they hear that) :-D So I went Persian hunting. We ended up with 2, a blue boy and a lilac cream girl (now showing in the cat pictures forum).

Since then I have been completely converted to cat-dom and in addition to volunteering to help any and all cats via cats protection, I would share my home with any cat that wanted me. I do however have and will always have a soft spot for persians. They are difficult to home and as I know and understand the breed and its needs I will tend to prioritize them.

Moli
17-10-2005, 03:04 PM
I have always had moggies, was not till I met my hubby that I got my first siamese, he used to breed them..Then I saw a liter of exotics and was hooked on them as well..................

CathyW
17-10-2005, 03:12 PM
when i met my hubby to be he had 2 cats,barnaby and darkstar,we then rescued monty he was a ginger kitten,darkstar went missing never to be seen again :( and monty was run over :(,we where offered ron n reg and we have had them since they where 9 weeks old.