PDA

View Full Version : right everyone, want your advice

Luke
15-10-2005, 11:01 AM
well as you all know we have been after a siamese kitten for some time, with numerous 'let downs' eithjer on our part as we have no transport, or the breeders say a BIG no when we answer with the breeds of dogs we have, and its gotten a little ridiculous, we came close to a kitten recentlly, but left it to late and she was gone:( and now we have began to review the situation.
Shou,ld we go for a siamese?
or do we go for a moggy?
quite literally we could have a moggy any day of the week, the local farm has an abundance of kittens, or do we hold out for that siamese? it just seems that we wouldn't show, nor probably breed so it seems a little pointless for just a pet, i'm now not sure. Maybe its cause it has been such a rollercoaster, so any advice?

Naomi
15-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Wot a toughie Luke. Unfortunately it's one of those questions where only you know the answer. I know it's not much help.

If you've got your heart set on a Siamese then hold out for it.

Kazz
15-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Okay Luke let me ask you some questions then maybe you can answer your own question.

1. Why do you want a cat?
2. Would a siamese be more loved than a moggy?

I think if you can answer those two honestly then you have your answer.

Karen

Luke
15-10-2005, 11:20 AM
we want a cat as a pet, nothing else a pet that will be loved and treated like a family member
Nope a moggy wouldn't be loved any less than a siamese, im not a very breed/pedigree predujice person
Best wishes

Mags
15-10-2005, 11:27 AM
It's really only a question you can answer Luke. If I remember rightly your very first post on CP back in June was about getting a kitten then. If you have been having all these disappointments and let downs since then, and you really want another cat that badly, why not get a little moggy now(they give just as much love).....then who knows, you may be able to get a siamese later (I'm sure you would be able to twist your Mum round your little finger;) ). Have a think about it:cool:

Az
15-10-2005, 01:15 PM
It depends what you want Luke....

You obviously looked at the Siamese for a reason to begin with? Perhaps you like their character? Looks? Personality?

Pedigree Cat breeds have very different traits and normally people are drawn to them for the particular ones for their chosen breed.

With a moggie you will not know what its personality, charcter or looks are going to end up like, I'm sure you would love it all the same no matter what but it may be a bit of a 'gamble'.

Why not pop along to a Cat show? It will help you see how different these breeds are from one another! Some will be very laid back and chilled out whilst others will be active and wanting your attention all the time :lol:

If I had my way I'd have one of each breed! :mrgreen:

Moli
15-10-2005, 02:20 PM
I agreee with everything Az has said, I love the siamese personality,you know what to expect...with a moggy you don't..., Exotics also have a personality of their own, It depends what you want from a l
kitten..................

Jac
15-10-2005, 02:35 PM
If I had my heart set on something and couldn't get it ie cost, travel, let downs then I would go down another avenue. Why not get intouch with the local cat protection or cat and dog home. See what they have on offer OR go to a breed specific rescue and see what they have.
One way or another let us know what you decide. Best of luck

Fran
15-10-2005, 02:50 PM
I agreee with everything Az has said, I love the siamese personality, you will not get that with a moggy, Exotics also have a personality of their own, It depends what you want from a l
kitten..................

I disagree, there are good and bad in every breed including moggies. I have known some quite vicious Siamese....:shock:

Moli
15-10-2005, 04:48 PM
I disagree, there are good and bad in every breed including moggies. I have known some quite vicious Siamese....:shock:
I agree with you completely, I have know quite a few vicious siamese, Oliver can be really nasty!!!I just love the characteristic's of the siamese....
Every cat has it's own personality.....

Moli
15-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Why don't you try a breed rescue Luke???

Jac
15-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Thats what I said (senior moment?):roll: :lol:

Kazz
15-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Thats a good question from Azz - Luke why did you choose the siamese breed? I have known a few siamese although never lived with one and have to say they have all bar one struck me as cats very like dogs; then there was one who was a total neurotic - totally living life on a razor edge. But there again so was his owner - she's totally loopy/neurotic too - and she's my mate.

I have admired them but if you want "a cat" then go to the farm/rescue and get a moggie. If you want a siamese and have your heart set on it then wait work out the details and go for it a cat show seems as good a place as any to meet breeders - surely someone must be due a litter in the West Mids (or within reasonable distance)

Karen

Az
15-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Thats what I love about the 'breeds' they are all quite different in how they are :)

You have laid back easy going cats like Persians, manic involved in eveything you-do-I-want-to-be-involved-in-to cats (like the Siamese!). If you 'just want a cat' but are not bothered by what it is/will be like then sure I would say get a moggie. But if you want specific traits or a 'certain type' of cat, get a breed ;)

Tammy
16-10-2005, 12:48 AM
Hi Luke I think you should buy a pedigree and can I twist your arm to get a Persian because they will love you to death :cat32