PDA

View Full Version : world war 3 going on here

jackiesimmonds
14-10-2005, 09:30 AM
I am beginning to get rather desperate. I have an adult cat, Sasha, and two new cats, now 6 months old. Sasha absolutely LOATHES the little ones, and has done so from day 1. I hoped she would settle down, all my previous cats have done so, even if they have never particularly liked the incoming cat, they just avoid each other.
Sasha is different; she hisses and growls constantly if they are around; she will just about eat in the same room, but only if they keep their heads down in their bowls and not look at her! She lives outside in a fir tree now and I have to drag her in for food. At night, she comes in and sleeps in our bedroom, purrs, and throughly enjoys the fact that the little ones are locked in the kitchen.
I cannot keep them separate for ever, it is ridiculous. I try to introduce them gently, just a few minutes at a time - she wll have none of it. I spray the air with Feliway. I give Sasha treats. I give her loads of attention. She hisses at the room, just in case they are there, even if she cannot see them! And when she sees them, she is off like a rocket, back outside. With winter coming on, I am sick with worry.

Any thoughts? I considered a behaviourist, but the one I found wanted £400 for a visit!

J

EmmaG
14-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Have you tried putting vanilla on all of the cats, I have heard before that this can help as all of the cats smell the same

jackiesimmonds
14-10-2005, 09:58 AM
Have you tried putting vanilla on all of the cats, I have heard before that this can help as all of the cats smell the same

Sasha isn't interested in how they smell! She just has to spot them through a glass door, and the mere sight of them starts her hissing and growling.
I will try, but I doubt it wll work.

thanks anyway

Fran
14-10-2005, 11:12 AM
I have a similar problem here with Matilda (5) and Sylvester (4) both neutered. They hate and I mean hate the other cats (I have another 4 cats) One of my cats is 18 years old and both Sylvester and Matilda have both tried to kill her :cry: I have to keep her locked in a seperate room whilst I am out or in bed. The other younger cats can get out of their way or fight back but Lucky just cowers and takes it :cry: I have had this problem since I had to have one of my other male cats put to sleep a little while ago and shortly after I lost my alpha female too. The whole balance of the cat hierachy changed and Sylv and Matilda 'took over' and became really aggresive. Nothing I have tried helps, I have had this problem a couple of years now and I would say it gets worse not better. I just live with it and make sure my old girls is safely out of their ways :(

Het
14-10-2005, 11:48 AM
I have a similar problem. I got the Lilac Point Siamese Jazz as an adult, she hadn't had the best start to life. I already had a Sealpoint Cleo. I did all the correct things, introduced them slowly but they have just never got on at all, and the fights were very vicious. We tried allsorts, trying to get them used to each other scent, we put herbal drops in Jazz water as she was the main aggressor which did calm her down a little, but the fights continued. Jazz did have the odd go at the moggy girl William but shes a toughie and stuck it out and was able to hold her place as the dominant female. Cleo basically retired to the kitchen table where she has a cardboard box with a lid on and a lovely comfy cushion.Jazz had kittens and we kept two which calmed her and took the edge off things, and things have gradually got to the stage where they can even be in the same room although it has to supervised, if left Jazz would have a go. Cleo adapted to things, Jazz and her family have their own bedroom which they are shut in at night and Cleo has the run of the house then. We now have a manageable situation and although we still get the odd fight its not as bad as it was, we had to persevere as there was no way I was passing Jazz on again - she had been through enough. So for us its been compromise and adapt, things did get better for us so all I can suggest is you do your best to give them equal attention, and give them time. Perhaps as the weather gets cooler Sasha may start spending more time inside. I think its also important that they have somewhere to sleep that they feel safe and secure, thats why Cleo has her cardboard box.

I hope things improve for you and I'm sorry I couldn't be more help:?

Az
14-10-2005, 02:51 PM
When I was a teenager my Mum 'rescued' a little kitten, but our resident cat hated it!! After slow introductions my mum then just let them get on with it and after about 3 months of the older one picking on the new one, they became good friends, sleeping together and playing together - it was brilliant to see that happened, it just took ages...

bobbie3917
14-10-2005, 03:58 PM
have u tried them plug in things that are ment to carm cats down?

bothing them all in the same shampoo so they all small the same may help

you may want to try and stop the older girl getting out as she may decide to move out and find her own new home (its happend to me)

Jac
14-10-2005, 04:09 PM
I'm so sorry to read this. I cant give you any answers as I dont know.
If it were 2 dogs I would say put some bachs herbal rescue remedy in her water to try and calm her down. It may work for her. i'm not sure though.
All the best and please keep us posted with what happens.

janey83
14-10-2005, 05:26 PM
How old is Sasha?

jackiesimmonds
14-10-2005, 06:35 PM
yes, I have tried the plug-in Feliway diffusers; have tried the spray Feliway; have tried Felifriend; am trying a cage (hate it); an animal behaviourist suggested putting the little ones into a big cage and having it in the same room as Sasha for a while every day. All she does is hiss and growl and try to bat them through the bars and run out of the room asap. she is such a brat. (having said that, i still love her and allow her to sleep on my bed. But she is a tortie, and I believe they have a rep of being unfriendly).

She is 6 years old, and I have a sneaky feeling she isn't going to change, whatever I do. One behaviourist I spoke to said there were things one could do, but I would have to pay to find out what they were. I am not sure I believed him, to be honest.

Mags
14-10-2005, 07:04 PM
I have one cat, an 8 year old tortie, she is very timid but I wouldn't say she was unfriendly.....she seems ok with other cats outdoors. A few years ago we befriended a feral kitten which used to come into the house occassionally and she was perfectly alright with it.
I wonder if it is a jealousy thing with Sasha?

jackiesimmonds
17-10-2005, 11:11 AM
yes, it is jealousy, it is irrational fear, it is territorial. I kow all of that. What I need to know is how to deal with it!

Az
17-10-2005, 03:58 PM
How old are they both and how long have they lived in the same house? And what have you done to help them get to know each other?