PDA

View Full Version : William

Het
11-10-2005, 11:54 AM
William is at the vets today for an anaesthetic, she has an abscess under a tooth and another tooth that needs taken out. Shes twelve years old and eats plenty of crunchy biscuits, I just wondered if anyone knew of anything else I can do to keep her teeth healthy? I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is a Seaweed extract?? that you can give them that helps...or have I totally imagined this??:roll:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/Het/cats/0650.jpg

Mags
11-10-2005, 12:02 PM
My vet gave me some 'toothpaste' for my last cat.....I had to rub it into his teeth and gums to control the plaque. He was as good as gold letting me do it.......Cassie however, would never let me get near her mouth:roll:
Hope William will be ok Het.....let us know how he got on....

Fran
11-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Good luck William!! Sorry, can't really help over the seaweed...haven't heard of it. Mine all eat biscuits and some of them eat raw meaty chicken wings to help keep their teeth in good working order...

Het
11-10-2005, 12:11 PM
My vet gave me some 'toothpaste' for my last cat.....I had to rub it into his teeth and gums to control the plaque. He was as good as gold letting me do it.......Cassie however, would never let me get near her mouth:roll:
Hope William will be ok Het.....let us know how he got on....

Will do, she wasn't to chuffed this morning about being left there. Shes a stroppy little thing and doesn't like to be too far from the dogs. Sorry the names a bit misleading, she came to me from a farm her mother had died and so had her littermates, a workmates husband worked on the farm and asked me to take her although he told me it was a boy kitten. Anyway he brought 'him' in a cardboard box, he was covered in scratches from trying to get it in there - I opened the box expecting this huge savage beast and inside was a tiny kitten probably only about 4 weeks old. So she was christened William.
My old Springer Jake mothered her, washing her and so on and so she has grown up very 'doglike'

I am a bit nervous as apart from being speyed this is her first anaesthetic but they are very good vets, I just hope she behaved:roll:

Het
11-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Good luck William!! Sorry, can't really help over the seaweed...haven't heard of it. Mine all eat biscuits and some of them eat raw meaty chicken wings to help keep their teeth in good working order...

I am embarassed to say that one of Williams favourite things is a Kebab, :oops: and she loves a good spaghetti bolognese as well:)

Mags
11-10-2005, 01:24 PM
William (Wilhelmina?) sounds quite a case Het! It seems like all our cats can be right stroppy things at times:lol: She certainly has some unusual tastes in food:-D
Try not to worry too much, I'm sure she will be fine at the vets;)

Moli
11-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Is William a girl???, hope she is okay, you can get things called denti bits for cats, they are little treats my cats love them..............

Az
11-10-2005, 02:46 PM
Poor William hope it goes well for her..

Not sure if the cat system is similar to the human system but you can get an abscess if there is too much sugar in your diet. I had one once after getting addicted to organic flapjacks! all that sugar caused an abscess!! :(

dinahsmum
11-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Hope she'll be fine (sure she will)
I think the bad teeth is just a symptom of our cats living longer.
Maybe some good tough meat to chomp on would help? Used to give ours rabbit portions but haven't done that for ages...............mmm, must do do!

xxxxs to William

Mags
11-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Any news on William Het?

Luke
11-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Aww Het im sure she will be fine, she and Clementine had a somewhat similar start in life, but im sure she will be fine

Jac
11-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Good luck at the vet Het, I'm sure William willl be fine. It's natural to worry. You love her afterall. Let us know how she gets on.

Het
11-10-2005, 06:31 PM
William is home, she had five teeth out in the end. Shes a bit wobbly, shes walking like the Woodentops!! but shes just had some minced chicken and shes been out to the gate to do her usual greet of all the dogs on their way past. we are at the end of the village so everybody walks their dogs out this way.

Thanks so much for all your concerns :) I am sure she will be back to her usual stomping around tomorrow

Mags
11-10-2005, 06:39 PM
Awwww...glad she is alright Het, extra fusses and she'll be fine tomorrow:lol:
Make sure her food is all chopped up fine for her for now.....

Fran
11-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Glad all is well with William Het :) Hope she is back up to full speed tomorrow!

Het
11-10-2005, 09:08 PM
Glad all is well with William Het :) Hope she is back up to full speed tomorrow!

i am pleased to say I think full speed has already been achieved, she has just given Jazz the Siamese a good slap round the ear!! Wiliiam is dominant female and cat in the house, but Jazz the siamese who had the kittens thinks she should be. When fit, William is well able to keep her position but when shes not well Jazz knows, and pushes for top slot. Its strange this hierarchy thing with the girls, does anyone else experience this??? The two boys don't care, as long as they get fed and get peace to snooze:)

Jac
12-10-2005, 01:10 AM
Glad she's ok. "a bit wobbely" will soon be fixed with a good nights sleep, and ofcourse dishing out the occasional Slap never goes amiss LOL