PDA

View Full Version : Using the bed as a toilet

baxtermarnie123
07-10-2005, 04:08 PM
I have a real problem with my cats at the moment. My husband has one cat, Leo (6 years old), from before we got together and apart from the occasional accident when he has been desperate, we have never had a problem with his toilet behaviour. Four months ago we bought a kitten, Tami (six weeks at the time). The two cats have never really got on, but that's not overly concerning so we haven't worried about it. However, about a month ago the cats began to be more comfortable with each other and now we have a huge problem. The cats are using our bed as a litter tray. Fortunately we have a spare bed so it's not that bad but I'm sick of changing and cleaning the bed every couple of days because somehow they've managed to sneak in. They both mainly do their business outside, but Tami stays in at night so we have a litter tray for him to use, which most of the time he does. It all began when Leo got desperate one day and since then they both seem to think it's ok and appear to prefer it to the litter tray. Do you have any ideas of what I can do to prevent this? I've been thinking maybe put a plastic sheet over the bed every morning but that isn't an ideal solution. Please help!

Moli
07-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Have you tried putting a litter tray in the bedroom, sounds as if Leo doesn't like using the same tray as the kitten...try putting one out just for him....You will have to keep him out of the bedroom for a few weeks to break the habit......

Fran
07-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Hi and welcome to CP!! I have a similar problem at the minute with one of my young males who thinks it's ok to use our bed as a toilet - he's unneutered. Are your cats neutered? If not then it might be worth getting that done. It could be that both cats are marking their scent on your bed to claim it as their territory. Could be a little jelousy between them so they are both trying to 'claim you' if you know what I mean.

Az
07-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Have they been castrated? They may be marking their territory?

Mags
07-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Hi Baxtermarnie123, welcome to Catpages!
I think the same as PK and Az....there may be some jealousy going on between them and they are using your bed as their claim to you. I hope you can find a way of solving this problem soon....please keep us informed as we would like to hear the outcome :?

Chickadeedeedee
09-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum. :-)

Yes. I agree with the advice and comments already give. Sounds like a jealousy / territory thing to me as well. You need something on the bed to kill the smell of a potty box. The solutions sold for rug cleaners are FANTASTIC for killing the smell of cat urine and is non toxic (but please check the label of the particular brand you look at).

The stop the marking you can spray you favorite cologne / perfume on the bed. Most cats do not like those sort of things. You can try the pheramone spray, Feliway, to make everyone play nice. It really does work! As another resort you may need to use a short course of medications for the older cat like DepoProvera to cool his jets and make his less territorial.

Hope some of this help you.

Best of luck to you and your bed.

C3D

Mags
09-10-2005, 09:30 AM
That's very good advice C3D, thanks, I've made a note of it!

baxtermarnie123
09-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Hi

Thanks for all your advice. I don't think it's them being territorial because they seem to be much better together now, but I think the idea of using scents to keep them from doing it is really good. Do you know of any that are specifically designed so that we can also sleep in the bed?

Chickadeedeedee
10-10-2005, 12:07 AM
Generally cats do not like the scent of citrus. There may be exceptions though.

You may wake up smelling like an orange though. LOL! :-)

C3D

LaKitten
27-10-2005, 02:50 PM
I use seperate litter pans for all the cats and they seem to like it like that.