PDA

View Full Version : Feral Cats

Amanda
03-10-2005, 02:44 PM
This is how naive I am when it comes to cats...:cat20 What makes a Feral Cat, Feral? Or should I say, what do people mean when they say that a cat is Feral?

Az
03-10-2005, 02:47 PM
A 'wild' ish cat I thought? Not a cat that got lost but one that was born in the wild? not sure tho!

Jac
03-10-2005, 02:47 PM
Hi
A ferral cat is one that is wild. It possibly lives on a farm, mates and has kittens then it all happens again. They have no human interaction, and WILD

Amanda
03-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Thanks Azz & Jac.
I had a feeling that is what was meant by the term, but wanted to be sure. :D :D

Mags
03-10-2005, 02:55 PM
They are also very difficult to tame being so nervous of people. Sometimes if you catch a kitten young you can raise it as a pet.....I managed it once when a family of 4 feral kittens were roaming around our garden...

smudgley
03-10-2005, 05:32 PM
some cats start off as someones pet - but then wonder off or get left behind when people move house, these cats have obviously had a good initially social upbringing. So even though they may live out & fend for themselves they are not feral cats.
however some cats are born outside & have only ever known that life to fend for themselves - they have had no social interaction & they are ferral. they grow up have kittens & before you know it they are everywhere. They live in "colonies" like little families.
I have never tamed a ferral cat - although I have successfully reared & tamed ferral kittens no problem (taking care not to upset mom in the process)