PDA

View Full Version : Rice for old cats

fluffybunny
02-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Hi all! My 18 year old cat has a bit of a dodgy liver, the vet thinks he has a tumour there, and so I am feeding him little and often so as to avoid overloading it. I have been told to bulk out his food with baby rice if he demands more food, as it will make him feel full but not put too much strain on his liver.

Trouble is, not having any children, I am fairly clueless about baby rice. The only stuff I could find at the supermarket was dried flaked stuff in a packet, and it said to make it up with milk. Am I looking at the right stuff? I was envisaging proper grains of rice rather than a reddy-brek type squidgy mess, and he's never had milk and I would have thought that water would be better for his constitution? What do you think? All suggestions gratefully received :D

Cheers! Fluffy x

Jac
02-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Hi Ya
As a mom (ha) no I am. Thats what baby rice is .... a squidgy mess. I have never given my kids baby anything always what I was having just puried Yip even currys ( makes for a good nappy) anyway if your cat doesnt get milk, mix it up with water. It is just a stoge. Hope that helps.
Let us know how you get on, the other thing you could do (possibly) cook normal rice without adding salt and give him that. Best ask your vet first though. Good luck

Ive done the rice thing for dogs but not cats

The Piddler
26-10-2005, 12:08 PM
When fostering ill cats and young orphans for the shleter, I will often use dried baby rice cereal in my mixtures. It adds bulk - calms the intestines and is so easy for them to digest. I mix it with water - regular kitten formula or pedialite. I have seen it realy help ill and weak kitties! I hope that it helps your fur babe!

Amadeus
26-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Does Sake work?