Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggies
23-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #1

Teaching 'tricks'

Wasn't sure where to put this sorry....but has anyone taught their cat any 'tricks'?

We taught the kittens 'sit' this afternoon!
A friend asked me how and why.......I said why not?! They have a brain so can use it, and they should have manners too! (sitting for a treat etc)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #2

Re: Teaching 'tricks'

Lovely! A member here was advocating clicker training for cats a while ago - I bought the clicker but have not got around to trying to teach my two to do anything as have been taken up trying to train my puppy instead!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #3

I'm not particularly fond of teaching cats tricks. That's a dog thing IMO.

Catsey Junior

23-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I'm not particularly fond of teaching cats tricks. That's a dog thing IMO.
Do you mind me asking why?

Catsey Veteran

23-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #5

Of course I don't mind! Cats are independent animals, asking them to do something not in their nature just to please us strikes me as a mild affront. Dogs are pack animals, we are the alpha dogs so to speak, and they want to please us, and don't seem to mind acting foolish, actually they seem pleased ! I'm sure this is a minority opinion; I've never asked any of my cats to do tricks. It's not cat! TMI?

Catsey Junior

23-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Of course I don't mind! Cats are independent animals, asking them to do something not in their nature just to please us strikes me as a mild affront. Dogs are pack animals, we are the alpha dogs so to speak, and they want to please us, and don't seem to mind acting foolish, actually they seem pleased ! I'm sure this is a minority opinion; I've never asked any of my cats to do tricks. It's not cat! TMI?
Ahh, ok, fair enough!

I don't believe in the 'alpha dog' thing, i'm certainly not alpha dog, im a human, not part of a 'pack' at all (but thats another convo!)!

It's not just tricks to please me...certain things come in useful - asking for a paw if an animal has hurt a leg and it needs checking, for example

People do it with all dofferent animals, from elephants to hamsters (Yes, people clicker train hamsters!), so I don't see why it's different for cats

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
23-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #7

I used a clicker to train Imogen to 'touch' with her nose-toys, my hand etc.

Catsey Veteran

23-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #8

Um, I think I've been trained by the cats!

We have Tolly sort of trained to come to a whistle but it's not 100%. They all respond to the rattle of a Dreamies pack. That's as far as it's gone because we like to be able to get them home easily

I have cats because I like their contrary and independent natures. Dogs have to be trained as a poorly trained dog can be dangerous. I don't really think I'd like to train a cat to do tricks as, to me, it would undermine their 'catness' if that makes sense?

Catsey Veteran

23-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats' staff
Um, I think I've been trained by the cats!

We have Tolly sort of trained to come to a whistle but it's not 100%. They all respond to the rattle of a Dreamies pack. That's as far as it's gone because we like to be able to get them home easily

I have cats because I like their contrary and independent natures. Dogs have to be trained as a poorly trained dog can be dangerous. I don't really think I'd like to train
a cat to do tricks as, to me, it would undermine their 'catness' if that makes sense?
CS, that's exactly what I was trying to say less eloquently! Thank you!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
23-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #10

I didn't really teach Oli but when we say 'kisses' he puts his head down and waits until we kiss him.