Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
18-09-2006, 02:04 PM   #1

Tortie personality?

Quote:
most like torties in their nature
Just seen the above quote in another thread. Do torties have distinct personalities? Although one of mine is tortie never really had anything to compare her to until Alfie came along but he is only 4 months old. I can only say that Rosie is a bit of a miserable old bag - very aloof even when she was young. Is that typical?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
18-09-2006, 02:05 PM   #2

Re: Tortie personality?

Rightly or wrongly, I tend to think of torties as shy/not terribly cuddley.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
18-09-2006, 02:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Rightly or wrongly, I tend to think of torties as shy/not terribly cuddley.
I think you have described Cassie perfectly DM!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
18-09-2006, 02:22 PM   #4

......... and Tizzie for much of her life. Very sweet, but the oposite of pushy ... shy and retiring I suppose. She got much more cuddley as she got older and was a reall cuddle bug for her last years.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
18-09-2006, 03:56 PM   #5

Well i have known many torties-and they are reknown for the infamous naughty tortie temperament! My aunt has an elderly tortie, Cinders, foulest temper you've ever known! Another aunt has an adopted stray tortie, Megan (the mummy one), who is very quiet and laid back, and my own dear tortie clementine-very VERY loving and cuddlesome too me, but very reserved around strangers.
I think tortie, generally, are quirky to say the least!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
18-09-2006, 04:23 PM   #6

I think Torties come with cattitude - our 3 torties are all ferals

Firstly Miss Xian a Bridle tortie who loves DIY - she stalks Robin when he has a tool box out and always helps - touch her though and she will rip all her hair out - thats why she still here she does however love all the treats and food but can't tolerate touch

next comes my longhaired toothless feral Miss Gracie aged approx 16 - caught last June 05 and and settled in to domestication very well, has her own bed under the stairs so she can hide, a sideboard plus blanket when she wants to bee seen - gracie is nearly 6.7kgs and hasn't stopped eating since trapped is wary round feet but at a food bowl is an old slobber chops.

lastly Miss Amber aged 4 one of our former fosters came back to us as SSPCA said they would put her and hher brother down as they were former ferals and could not be house cats - oh really! Amber is Daddys little stalker and in the last 8 months has blossomed in to a vocal lady who lets you know what she wants.

Amber and Gracie are house cats by choice an open door is for walking past! Xian is a house cat by our choice and loves the family room and sunny spot on the radiator bed.

All have tortitude but quake when our Black Princess Sweetie walks by - she is in charge!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
18-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #7

My tortie is a stuck up princess!!! Too good for the likes of us humans to dare touch her perfect fur or pick her up!!!

But still love her!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
18-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #8

All the semi-ferral torties I've known would rip your hands to shreds as soon as look at you if you dared to try and touch them They have all setteld into family life without a problem but you still can't touch them unless they give you the say so

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 moggies
18-09-2006, 08:35 PM   #9

What do you mean by tortie though? I had Poppy for 16 years and I thought of her as a real Tortie, ie. a real mix of colours that blended into each other(bit ugly I suppose, Mum thought she was a rat as a kitten) and she was the most loving cat.
Now Minnie the moocher, God love her is a 'patch' cat of white, black and ginger and is the most stupid/gormless/concieted/ add your own adjective..... cat that ever walked this earth.
Yvonne x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-09-2006, 08:47 PM   #10

I've had one tortie & two dilute (blue-cream) torties...definitely shy and reserved, especially with strangers. Choose when they feel like being lap cats. But more affectionate as they get older. Two of them were voracious eaters, not picky at all; one was picky. The two blue-creas sleep/slept with me, the regular tortie preferred to sleep by herself . I think they're a little more independent than many other cats. But love 'em !!!