Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
17-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #1

Toilet training the kittens - the diary!

Longer term members will remember that I intend to train the new babies to use the human toilet. Here is the link to a video clip of a successful student! http://www.citikitty.com/index.htm

Well, it's time to start.

Here is the equipment

and here, sitting on the loo

I've set it up so they should have no bother moving to it and going from the present litter tray (which is creeping, inexorably, nearer and nearer the loo), with a nice cardboard box to facilitate exploring

... and popped clean litter, with a touch of 'used' for authentic litter tray niff, in the cat loo

The idea is that they get used to jumping up and 'going' on the cat loo, then you gradually remove the concentric rings of plastic, so they get used to 'going' into a hole and having less and less litter, then you remove the cat loo altogether, put the loo seat down ('Rah! a triumph of co-operative working between felines and females to thwart the menfolk! ). The cat loo has to be kept clean of course and you use flushable litter, so you can just sluice straight into the toilet.

There are added advantages, like you get a good box to play in

But Chester is still going the old fashioned way - and being bothered by his bruvv whilst peeing!

to be continued ....

Disclaimer: The en-suite shown in these photos is in the chaotic state illustrated because of the presence of 2 kittens, not the sluttishness of the occupant!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-06-2006, 11:02 AM   #2

Re: Toilet training the kittens - the diary!

Brilliant stuff DM, can't wait to hear of the kitties progress using the loo

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
17-06-2006, 02:04 PM   #3

Not sure this would work in my house, I think i would get a bit fed up removing the cat litter tray before any of us could use the loo!!

And i bet being lads bentley and chester miss and piddle all over the loo seat anyway lol

let us know how it goes.

Catsey Veteran

17-06-2006, 02:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK
And i bet being lads bentley and chester miss and piddle all over the loo seat anyway lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
17-06-2006, 02:23 PM   #5

Well it should work DM good luck. And can I add to this Chester looks more stunning every time I see him he will be my "ideal" big ginger Tom soon....and Bentley's coming on well too - I think he may turn outto be the more "adventerous" of your kits.

Catsey Veteran

17-06-2006, 02:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Well it should work DM good luck. And can I add to this Chester looks more stunning every time I see him he will be my "ideal" big ginger Tom soon....and Bentley's coming on well too - I think he may turn outto be the more "adventerous" of your kits.
Little bits of character etc are coming out. Bentley is a total snuggle-bug; he throws himself on his back for a snuggle/tummy tickle. He is also the usual instigator of play-fights! Chester is a little braver (he was first to approach the vacuum) and he is a tiny bit taller, but skinnier. He is incredibly handsome, and Benters is not so dusty (though dusty coloured) either.
We'll see what the future brings, and who is first to use the 'big boys' toilet'!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
17-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #7

Sounds like they are being pure and utter joy. Just what the kitten manual suggests

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
17-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #8

That looks very interesting, looking forward to the updates Wonder if I could get the Diva to do that

Catsey Veteran

17-06-2006, 03:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
That looks very interesting, looking forward to the updates Wonder if I could get the Diva to do that
I think the cat in the video clip is 12 and was tought as an adult. Go for it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
17-06-2006, 03:06 PM   #10

I might just do that and we can compare notes LOL
Where did you get the toilet seat?