Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 x rescue cats
24-02-2006, 01:55 PM   #1

Grooming "kit" recommendations

I have spent a fortune on various brushes, grooming gloves, combs, etc - but what I've found works best for my longhair is a human hairbrush - the Denham small brush (Boots sell 'em for a fiver) has reasonably stiff plastic bristles, but nicely rounded (cheaper brushes often seem to have sharp edges). Amber does not like being brushed, but the Denham will get through her thick coat without too much static and she doesn't play up nearly so much when I'm trying to do the "sensitive" bits. Plus the brush can be taken apart and washed!

For my shorthairs, I found that the brush I bought from Pets at Home with what looks like wire hooks on it is best for picking up loose hair from them (it just doesn't quite cut it with the long hair though!)

Shampoo-wise - on the rare occasions I bath them, I just use a tiny tiny bit of Herbal Essences (because they're worth it )

Any other recommendations - what works, what doesn't? I have so much unused grooming stuff that it makes me a bit cross - must take it to the CPL sometime for one of their car boot sales

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
24-02-2006, 03:12 PM   #2

Re: Grooming "kit" recommendations

i have a comb with teeth that twist if they hit a knot so it doesnt pull the cats fur out, some cat nail clippers ( as i call them) and some baby shampoo.
that's it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
24-02-2006, 03:38 PM   #3

I just use a 'slicker' brush - do you know the one I mean..... you sort of 'pull' it through the cat's fur, rather than use conventional brush strokes.
Don't really brush them a lot though - they keep their fur in order themselves.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
24-02-2006, 03:38 PM   #4

I have a wide tooth metal comb for getting through the persians' undercoat which can be difficult to reach. You do have to be gentle though . . .

I have a metal brush with rounded tips to the bristles which it good for their backs but won't get through the thick side and 'trouser' fur.

Other than that - I don't really use anything else!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
24-02-2006, 03:45 PM   #5

I use two brushes on Cassie, a soft/medium bristle one and one with plastic bristles......also a metal comb..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
05-03-2006, 07:12 PM   #6

I've never brushed Ninja and he keeps his fur marvellous and shiny all by himself. I'm planning to buy a slicker brush next week and see if he's ok with me using it, but it's not necessary so I'm not too worried about it - but having the slicker brush might come in handy for when we have the kits.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 persians
11-03-2006, 07:54 PM   #7

My kit is:

Metal comb
Mikki undercoat rake
Flea comb

oh and a groomer who spruces my 3 up every 10 weeks

Catsey Junior

20-03-2006, 06:24 PM   #8

My russians don't need a lot of grooming (I don't show them) but when they moult I help out to stop the furballs. The absolute best method (which they adore and coming running for) is wetting my hands thoroughly then giving the coat a good massage back and forth, then as my hands dry, just stroking the fur back again. Your hands get tacky and it pulls out the loose fur brilliantly. Rub hands together to ball it up and bung it in the trees for the birds to use as nesting. If I'm outside watering the garden, they'll trip me up to try and get the treatment

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH & DLH Tabbies
21-03-2006, 01:17 PM   #9

Murphy doesn't need brushing at all, he keeps himself very clean.

Thomas has very long hair and also refuses to wash himself! Murphy cleans the 'easy bits' on Tom and I brush him every day and bath him about once a month.

They also have their nails clipped regularly with Mikki clippers. Tom is quite happy to let me do his nails but I normally wait until Murphy is dozing after his evening meal to do his nails. I can normally get all of them done without waking him up but because he is full and sleepy, even if he does wake up, he is rarely bothered. When he is awake , he is highly excitable and won't sit still to let me trim his nails!

For Tom's fur, I have a slicker brush, a wide toothed comb and a soft 'baby' brush. Even burshing him once a day he get's knotty in his groin and 'armpit' area.