Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #1

Doggie Dilemmas

I realised looking back at some of Kazz's comments about my posts regarding troubles with Dora and Monty lately that I had not told you all about an incident that in my mind has been the "tipping point". I posted it on the Lurcher forum, but forgot to share with you all. I am sorry for that and it may well give you the background to what's happening with them just now.

On Saturday 11 January, my OH took Dora and Monty up to Stansted Park for their usual morning run and Dora actually caught a deer. The deer got trapped by a fence and OH had to wade in through the brambles to pull Dora off the back-end of the poor deer. Monty had also joined in. There was no blood but the poor creature must have been terrified. Other walkers in the area who have well behaved dogs that don't chase deer say there are more deer up there this year than for many years. They have not been culled. Sadly this means that the dogs won't be going up there again for a while, they will have to make do with going over the field and won't get their long runs. OH had to have a wee tot of restorative in his coffee when he got home as he was upset too.

So that was just over a week ago and since then OH has been taking the dogs over to our local field where they can run off lead and have done in the past with no problems. It's only in the last few days that they have decided to go and chase horses in the next door field and generally misbehave.

My thinking is that Dora in particular has had her prey instinct awakened by the deer incident and Monty has followed her lead. I think it's a case of, as Pamela said, going back to basics and for OH to get control of the dogs again. He could ask for help from our dog trainer, but as you know, men are bad at asking for help. I make suggestions here and there but that's all I can do.

If anyone (Kazz, Elaine, Pamela or other doggy folk) have any wise words I could pop into the conversation, please share!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
19-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #2

Re: Doggie Dilemmas

Oh dear, pardon the pun, that would have upset me too in all honesty.
Back to basics indeed but it is important that recall training is a lot of fun for them, you have to try to think outside of the box at times. In Doras case, she has a high chase drive so present her with something to chase and a tastey treat, she will always choose the thrill of the chase. What ever you offer her has to be of a higher value to her than the chase.

For example, with Rayne the chase would involve small furries, rabbits, cats etc. I had to work hard at trying to make myself more exciting to be with by running in opposite directions with a fun toy as well as treats and really really play with her and treat her. I would call her name excitedly once and then run. Agility tug toys are brilliant for these kinds of things. Rayne NEVER got to play with them any other time other than when we were "working" and still doesn't, so they hold value to her. The treats I carry on our walks or at agility etc are the same, she loves them and doesn't get them any other time so again they hold value. A ball also works well with Rayne because it's something we don't play in the house or in the garden.
I use every walk to do a little training, even if it's just a few minutes of recall, sit's and stays etc.
Here is a good article which explains things better than I can to help you understand why and how to help the situation.
http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/how-do-...y-dog-chasing/

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
19-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #3

Angie, i can only speak of Basenjis but as Elaine says if the prey drive is very strong it can completely over ride treats.
We have done lots of training with our two, particularly Malaika who is the brighter one. However all the training goes out of the window if there is something that they consider more exciting than the treats.
I know with Basenjis that no matter how good their recall is and Malaikas is perfect if there is nothing to distract her when it matters it's not there.
We have had incidents where they have chased a train, several fields away, tractors and run out of parks.
Consequently we have had to accept that there are very few places we can safely let them off.
Sorry if this makes you feel worse, you have to remember every dog is different and it may be with further training you can crack this.
I sympathise with your o/h we have had many heart attack moments.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
19-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #4

I have to say I would be shaken too. I have no advice other than maybe where there are likely to be "chase animals" like deer - horses - etc I would say keep Dora on lead, or a long line. See how Monty is then maybe swop round. Monty on lead Dora off. Although I imagine that Dora will be off with or without Monty.
Sometimes you just have to say as I have found out "its better for my OWN
life expectancy and general well being to keep on lead in certain situations"

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
20-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #5

Have to agree with Kazz.

If a horse got injured you could end up with a very big bill

Its lovely to see dogs running free & great exercise however sometimes circunstances dictate otherwise

It will be more "work" for the main exercise giver for leash walks as it will mean longer walks but at least both dogs are safe as are other animals

Years ago we took on a dog who was dog aggressive, worked long & extensively with him. He was ok with dogs he lived with but anything else was fair game. I got up at 6am to walk him 3 miles. He got 20 mins training throughout the house & garden during the day to keep his mind "active" & at 7pm he got another 3 miles

The only other idea would be to find someone who would rent you a field away from any livestock if hubby is determined to let them run free