Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #31

Re: Kitten prices

Beautifully put, Angie, agree 100% !!!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: N/A
08-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #32

thats whats happening me with my kitten I am paying £40 even tho its a moggie.. the woman thinks its a bengal x because the mother has stripes on her.. she doesn't know who the father is.. shes got another cat she thinks is a persian x because someone down the road told her ( who's got Persians) that because her cats blue.. it must be a persian crossed with something else.. because blue is a persian colour .... so shes selling them kittens for £80 each.. just because of that.. they are both moggies!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
08-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Reading all the above comments does make me seriously question where the CP rehoming "rules" come from. I'd really like to know.

To deny a cat/kitten rehoming in a loving house where a nice child already lives happily with animals - words fail me! How do they think that parents can bring their kids up to treat animals with respect and kindness if they aren't allowed to adopt an animal! No wonder "other means" have stepped into the gap. Market forces etc. etc.
All CP branches are run by volunteers & they have guidelines set by the Head Office, but flexibility is allowed within those guidelines.

However CP branches should not be turning people down for having children/dogs/living in a flat/working/having a catflap or any other nonsense reason.

If anyone on here wants to adopt a CP rescue kitten / cat they can do so from me. All I need to know is that a loving home is offered.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #34

Just come back from my local Express shop. There is a handwritten notice on their board - kittens for sale 2 males grey tabbies and a female B&W £30 each. Now I am assuming because the note is handwritten and on a piece of ordinary notepaper that this is an "ordinary" person who is trying to find homes for the kittens. Am I being naive???

Thank you Smudgley - I'd certainly be delighted to come to you as and when there is a vacancy here!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
08-06-2008, 05:33 PM   #35

Our CP branch won't rehome kittens to homes with under 5's but will rehome older cats to them. One of the HV are really strict with things, but the others are much more open with their criteria. It drives me mad when people are refused for the stupidest things. I really think there should be very clear guidelines.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
08-06-2008, 07:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
Our CP branch won't rehome kittens to homes with under 5's but will rehome older cats to them. One of the HV are really strict with things, but the others are much more open with their criteria. It drives me mad when people are refused for the stupidest things. I really think there should be very clear guidelines.
I think if people with young children want a cat then surely a kitten is the way to go so they can grow up together & a kitten would be more tolerant.

I went to a CP day about a year ago, with a talk by Ian Farrar about why we SHOULD be rehoming cats to people with children under 5.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #37

For the record, I was about 5 when we got Scamper,the ginger semi-longhaired tom I grew up with. And I certainly learned how to live with, respect and love cats!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: DSH
08-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #38

I've just rehomed two 10 month old kittens from the CP without a problem but then I own my own home, live on a quiet street and have no children or dogs.

A friend was told by her local RSPCA that as she worked full-time she would only be allowed cats that were 7+.

This kind of restrictive ruling also happens with other animals, there used to be a rabbit rescue that would only rehome as a house rabbit and even then it had to have the run of a minimum of 5 rooms!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
08-06-2008, 09:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
I think if people with young children want a cat then surely a kitten is the way to go so they can grow up together & a kitten would be more tolerant.

I went to a CP day about a year ago, with a talk by Ian Farrar about why we SHOULD be rehoming cats to people with children under 5.
I completely agree with you Smudgley. That's why I think CP hq should make a set of rules for ALL branches to stick to!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
08-06-2008, 10:45 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
For the record, I was about 5 when we got Scamper,the ginger semi-longhaired tom I grew up with. And I certainly learned how to live with, respect and love cats!
And you must have seen the pic I posted of myself when I was about 3, with my first cat Thomas.

I rang round a few of the different fosterers in my area for the CP when I was looking to rehome a cat before I got Kiara and they all said no to families with under 5's and I was also told no because of the dogs, even though I protested both my dogs and my son were fine with cats as I already had a senior cat who was here before any of the dogs or my son. But what annoyed me the most is that they wouldn't even send anyone round to check, I asked them to send the homechecker round at least so I could prove what I was saying and they basically told me to come back in 3 years or so. My son was 5 this year and I got all of my cats (bar Anakin obviously) before he turned 5 and we have never had a single problem with him and the animals, he is excellent with them, he knew how to handle a weimaraner for showing when he was 3 years old, he has a lot of respect and knowledge for the animals for his age and it's such a shame as i'm sure there are a lot of other children who have been denied the companionship of a rescue animal. JMO.