Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
09-10-2010, 10:58 PM   #1

Urchin.

Well I think Urchin is going to be quite a challenge, at the vets they called him Houdini and we know why, he has escaped from his cage twice! It wasn't massively secure but he has squeezed out of gaps where there are bits of mesh tied on due to a missing door. The problem is he goes mental when you try to catch him. He will bite and scratch and the poor wee soul is obviously terrified.
I am also a wee bit annoyed at the info we have been given and don't actually know what is fact.
We were told he has a wound on his neck ( this complicates catching him because we don't want to scruff him) but I've also been told it is in his head! We don't know where. We can't look for ourselves because he is so wild and he is also black so its hard to see anything.
Roll on Thursday so I can find out what is going on and what we need to be doing. We don't even know if he should be on antibiotics or anything.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #2

Re: Urchin.

Challenge is putting it mildly, farthing! Poor thing is so scared, doesn't know you just want to help him get better. Sending calming vibes, hope it will go well till he's back at the vets. (((hugs)))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #3

Poor little Urchin - sounds like you picked a good name for him. Calming vibes for him from me too.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
10-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #4

I would pop him on Zylkene - some of my ferals started life worse than this and Zylkene worked on taking the edge of them = 2 capsules a day split on to wet food

Also ask for an ACP Tablet if you need to catch him will knock him out so makes it less stressful all round

I find that in pens they are freaky ours are all now mixed through and have their own spaces and the 2 I caught in July are no longer hissy but on Zylkene 3 meals a week just to help them adapt

Also carnip scats have never failed us and well just Moss Skye one of our fosters who loves honeysuckle and valarian sacks

Also rescue remedy in the water with the Zylkene helps

He will calm down but first order always for us is get he bits off then worry about them liking us

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
10-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #5

Sorry to hear about your problems Farthing, Liz has some good suggestions there. I do hope you get the info you need soon.

Catsey Veteran

10-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #6

Thanks Liz,
I was going to get some feliway on Monday, and the zylkene is a good idea. I admit I haven't done much with him so far because I wanted to let him settled and get him 'done'. I suppose I feel a bit guilty because I haven't dealt with his wound, but I wasn't told I needed to do anything- and there may not be anything to do but he may well still be sore which will not help his temper.
He escaped again last night, and I have no idea how, but I've pretty much cleared the room except for his cage and a sofa and I'll now leave the cage door open. I used a long bit of wood to touch him and he was actually grabbing hold of it and holding on, like a bulldog. I will work away with this method this week before he gets done and hopefully he will learn to get used to being touched.
My concern is that it has been suggested he has neurological problems which will complicate the matter ( hopefully x-rays and an exam with let us know if that is likely). I really wish Mustard was here- hale and hearty- because I know he would have taken the wee lad under his wing, I don't think any of the ones here will- except possibly Pudding?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
10-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #7

If you are having problems with him let me know - sounds like he would fit in here and be ok with ours

I usually always get the bits off, give them a full set of boosters, an ID Chip and a Profender - now you can see why some of mine are still work in progress!

GIve me a shout if you want to chat about him - having 30+ of the darlings we have used and tried most things - a lot of mine are now indoor/outdoor and come in every night with little or no issue

I am around all the time at the moment due to having either slipped or ruptured discs in my back and some lovely painkillers

You can come and see our set up for ferals, domestics and the pedigree and my 2 normal kittens baby Charlie with the damaged leg and baby Echo with a heart condition

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
10-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #8

Good luck with the wee man.

Catsey Veteran

11-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #9

I hope you feel better soon and thanks for your kind offer. I will see how we go, he's only been here a week so still early days. He now has access to the whole room but can still retire to his cage, and he is much happier with this, I guess he was going stir crazy. I just hope if he does have a fractured pelvis it doen't cause problems, letting him roam. I'm using a stick to rub his chin/ cheeks and he grabs it and holds on like a terrier, but eventually settles and accepts it after a few tries.

I am hoping he is fit enough for the snip, but I'm going to ask them to x-ray his head and pelvis and I guess it then depends on how long he is under and how he is coping. If not we will just have to get him better first and go ahead with the other requirements. I just hope his bloods are fine ( no viruses).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #10

Liz - so sorry to hear about your back problems.

Farthing - good wishes for young Urchin. When is he due to be "seen"?