Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
23-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #1

Whiskas ....

After trying many different cat meats, Oli has decided he enjoys Whiskas.

For weeks now we have been giving him Whiskas traditional (peas and carrotts with the meat and gravy). The other day in ASDA, Whiskas casserole selection (meat and gravy) was on offer, so we bought that for him and he also loves it!

Anyway, the point to this thread ...

I looked at the nutritional value to see if there was a difference between the two types. I was amazed to see that there was no difference what so ever. Surely, the Whiskas traditional, with vegetables (minmimum 4%) should have extra vitamins or something??

After looking at the labels it made me really think whether the meat even had the goodness that was stated on the nutritional label, OR do they just stick the same label on all their meats regardless of the nutritional content??

I cant moan about the meat because it is actually something that Oli likes. I just thought there would be some difference in nutritional value between the two Whiskas varieties.

Any thoughts?

Tanya

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
23-05-2007, 09:57 PM   #2

Re: Whiskas ....

TBH! I don't set much store by all of that stuff. Millions of ctas are fed on the stuff and are perfectly healthy. And the brands that boast about extra this, that and t'other are trying to guilt trip us into spending more money! Broxi is a fussy bleeder with his food and hasn't been eating much of the many different brands and flavours I have been trying with him. I went down to good old katkins yesterday and he loves it!!! So my philosophy is , feed your cat what it will eat and dont worry too much about all the gobbldeegook!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
23-05-2007, 10:00 PM   #3

Cassie has only ever eaten Whiskas and she is healthy enough and has a nice glossy coat. I'm sure if it wasn't nutritional she would look a lot worse than that!

Almost a Veteran Member

23-05-2007, 10:03 PM   #4

Alex and Mags, I think that is well said!! It has taken me ages to find a food that Oli will eat. He is happy with it and I am happy that he is happy!

I didnt look at the nutritional value to see if it was better or worse than other brands, but just wanted to see what differences there were between the two - and there were none!!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggies
24-05-2007, 11:47 AM   #5

My 2 are fussy bleeders as well I have to vary what they eat cause just when you think you have found summat they like they wont eat it anymore lol

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
24-05-2007, 09:14 PM   #6

Patch is very fussy and will only eat Whiskas and Felix. I have been told my some people we should feed better quality stuff, but it's better for them to eat something they love than to not eat anything at all!

Almost a Veteran Member

24-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #7

Almost a Veteran Member

24-05-2007, 09:27 PM   #8

Very true Jane! Thats why I am happy with Oli eating Whiskas - because he is happy too!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
24-05-2007, 09:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya
Very true Jane! Thats why I am happy with Oli eating Whiskas - because he is happy too!!
Exactly, if kitty is happy and wont eat anything else, it's better than the kitty starving.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
25-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #10

http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/tipsforchoosing.htm

Found this interesting an helpful.