Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
04-05-2014, 12:12 AM   #1

Flea problem.

My cats have fleas. Not a lot of them, but being white, it's easy to see them. I Frontline Plus them every 6 weeks religiously, but it's only been 4 weeks and I found 2 very much alive fleas on Freddie this morning..Flea bombing the house is not an option as it is not safe for the bird. I was thinking of trying Revolution, a monthly treatment. Does anybody use this? My vet has recommended it.The cats are brushed and flea combed every day and I've found no more fleas but think I may need to switch from Frontline. Can anyone recommend anything other than Revolution?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
04-05-2014, 12:48 AM   #2

Re: Flea problem.

Hi Dinky, having an insomniac moment here so came on to see if anyone around. I use Advantage every month on my two and its successful, hope you find your monthly one does the job. x

Almost a Veteran Member

04-05-2014, 01:29 AM   #3

Thanks PoshPuss, OK I'll try Advantage on my guys for a few months, vacuum madly every day ,wash all their bedding in hot water at the laundrymat weekly, which I do anyway, and see if that works. Christchurch is having a terrible problem with fleas, according to my vet, because of all the damaged homes and liquifaction problems. Hope your insomniac moment has now passed and you are back in bed, all snuggled up with a couple of kitties to keep you warm.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
04-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #4

We use Revolution over here and have always been impressed with the results. Good luck!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #5

In many areas of UK, it seems that fleas (little b*****s) have become immune to Frontline and have been so for several years now. I don't know anything about Revolution, perhaps not available here. As PP says, Advantage works well - I use it for Pip and the dogs and Kizzy has Advocate (it could be the other way round, need to check).

Sounds as if you are getting on top of it - good luck, hate fleas.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
04-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #6

We use Frontline and I've noticed it doesn't last as long. We have had a flea problem recently for the first time in years. Next time will try Advantage. Hope you got back to sleep PP, go get 'em Dinky, the jumpy little sods!

Almost a Veteran Member

05-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to go with Advantage this time and then switch to Revolution next time. I think my NZ fleas are building up a resistance to Frontline.As I can't flea bomb the house, I'll have my old vacuum cleaner working overtime for quite a while, but mark my words, I WILL get rid of these blood suckers, or die trying. Never had this problem before.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
13-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #8

Use advantage here atm and not had a problem. Flea treatments won't stop a cat from picking up fleas, so maybe you've just seen them before they've had a chance to be "treated"?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #9

I can recommend Acclaim as a household spray that works - not safe perhaps if you have a bird too, but maybe you could isolate the bird in a room not to be sprayed and spray the rest of the house?

My vet no longer sells Frontline but it really does seem to be a regional thing. I suppose fleas start to develop immunity and those that are immune continue to breed.

Almost a Veteran Member

13-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #10

Thanks angieh for letting me know about Acclaim. Unfortunately, it isn't available here.I can't flea bomb as the stuff remains in the carpet for one year and Damon Bird plays on the carpet. I will get rid of the carpet anyway as it has been damaged by liquifaction and floods. Just waiting for EQC structural engineers to assess the house before we get out of it in August.Anyway, I do appreciate your help.