Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
14-09-2009, 12:08 AM   #1

Kittens being sold in pet shops

I have heard today of kittens being sold aged 3-4wks in a market. The stall holder has a leisence but its way too young too be sold. Are you allowed to sell kittens at such a young age and is it ilegal as well.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1x Sphynx, 2x DLH, 5x DSH
14-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #2

Re: Kittens being sold in pet shops

Unfortunately there are no laws about selling almost any animals in Britain.... Although I am not a fan of the RSCPA they do have legal rites to go in and remove animals they deem unfit for sale etc.... however what happens to the animals once in the keeping of the RSPCA is another matter... report it to another local rescue they maybe able to help...?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 5 X Shorthair non pedigrees
14-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #3

OMG!

How cruel to seperate them from mum so early, they're supposed to be seperated at 8 weeks onwards..

poor kitties.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
14-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #4

Report it to the local licensing authority.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
14-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #5

I did find about it on another forum which i wont name. The stall holder always has cats in at this age. One was brought bit sadly he died after only a short while.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
14-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #6

I go along with what Elaine has advised and go down the local authority/Trading Standards route.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
15-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #7

Oh my gosh I am horrified to hear this. Even six weeks is fairly young to leave Mum and they tend to be weaned by then. Its disgusting. Have you reported it Jane ? Jan x

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: cross breed
19-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #8

How awful these kittens are far too young to be away from their mum let alone sold on a market stall
I would contact CPL maybe they will be able to stop them being sold at such a very young age
It,s very likely that most of them will be condemed to an early death as they really need to still be feeding on mum

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
19-09-2009, 11:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstone
I would contact CPL maybe they will be able to stop them being sold at such a very young age
The Cats Protection would not have any legal powers to do so. All they can do is talk to the owner in order to sign them over (provided they have room) so at least they can have a better start in life. But more than likely the petshop owner is seeing ££ rather than the welfare of the animals concerned. So if the pet shop owner tells the Cats Protection to get lost then there is nothing they can do.

Tbh it is a job for the RSPCA (and RSPCA are the only people who would have the legal power to snatch them away) but whether they could be bothered is another thing together.

The only other option is to contact the council concerned, specifically their Public Health department, as all Pet Shops (and the same goes for catteries, dog boarding kennels and riding schools) have to have a licence which is renewed annually. If they find serious breaches in how the shop is run, then the licence will be revoked. That means they will be effectively be shut down and the kittens (or indeed any other animals living there) cannot be sold.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #10

That sounds like very good and helpful info, pcspik! Thanks for posting it.