Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: NA
23-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #1

Training my kitten

hi, im new to this forum. i havnt as yet got a cat but cant wait till i do. my question is that i want to train my furball to just use 1 of my chairs. i know people say that training is hard but can be done. im getting a kitten so its gonna be young enough to show whats right & whats wrong but being on loads of different sites & reading peoples storys, its making me think that its gona do wot it pleases anyway no matter how much training i put in. so, do i try to banish her completely (which i dont really want) or try to train her with 1 chair. any tips at all & i would be grateful. thanks

Global Moderator

23-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #2

Re: Training my kitten

Welcome to Catsey

If you have ever owned a cat before you will have realised that a cat has a mind of its own and it will pick its own spot to sleep. I personally think you are expecting the impossible if you hope to train it to use one chair only

When will you be getting your kitten .... and what breed?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
23-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #3

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
23-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #4

Think Mags has it about right what she is saying...I have 4 cats, and to a degree I have managed to train them, but as soon as my back is turned, they will do somehting they know they shouldn't!!!

24-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #5

im getting my cat next week. yeah, i thought it was gonna be hard. i suppose it all depends on the cat cos they all different. i had a cat when i was little but havnt had 1 since. its not a pedigree cat. just your old fashioned moggie. lol. i just wanted feed back to see if i was being unrealistic. i'll do my best with her but whatever happens is up to her, i guess. thanks everyone xx

Global Moderator

24-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #6

How exciting that she'll be coming home to you next week...

Have you decided on a name for her yet?

I hope she settles in well ........we would love to see a photo (or two!) of her if possible..

If you have difficulty post your pics, please click here

24-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #7

yeah, i cant wait. i ve wanted a cat forever but i think the times right. my 2 children are 13 & 11 so they can help with looking after her. i think their at a nice age. ive just moved into lovely big house with loads of room so all we need is the kitten. no, we havnt picked a name we keep looking online so we'll have 1 by the time she gets here. & yes, i'll be posting pics of her. cant wait 2 show her off. xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #8

Hi Wendi! Great that you are getting a kitten - I do look forward to meeting him or her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #9

Hi ands welcome. I agree, the cat will sleep wherever he/she decides to; it is unrealistic to hope to restrict her to one chair, How exciting, a new kitten, look forward to the pics!

24-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #10

thanks to everyone who's replied. this is my 1st cat & i cant wait!! i'm just gonna buy more throws before she lands!! xx