Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
19-08-2014, 12:19 AM   #1

Endless Energy

I'm hoping to get some tips on how to tire out an 11 week old kitten. Cheddar has endless energy and I was expecting it. But now it's getting to the point that he's sometimes a bit too much for my dogs. He plays a lot by himself (or me) with his toys but has taken a great liking to play too rough with my dog's tails. I try to distract him when I see him doing this but he's not getting the point.

Also, I know this is not the most ideal, but I have a foster dog here and she was here from before I found him and brought him home. She shows way too much interest in him so I have to do a rotation between the 2 to give equal opportunity out with me. Cheddar has gotten into the routine that his time out is endless playtime and rarely sleeps, this includes every other night as I alternate between him and my foster loose overnight. When it's his turn to stay out overnight, he does not sleep. He'll wake me up multiple times in the middle of the night playing in my hair and what not and I hear his bell literally ringing all night as he's harassing the dogs when they are trying to sleep. Because of this routine, he associates his crate with sleep time and out of crate as crazy time. How can I teach him to settle down at night?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #2

Re: Endless Energy

That's a difficult question timber .............. are Cheddar and Devon playing together at all?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
19-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #3

It would be great if Cheddar could play with Devon. They could wear each other out. Cheddar is obviously in need of a playmate. We keep our dogs and cats separate if we are not supervising them. The 2 big dogs are in the kitchen overnight or if we are out. Scout the terrier is safe to be left with the cats but we stop her from going upstairs. Is there a way to keep Cheddar away from the dogs at night?

Catsey Senior

20-08-2014, 02:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
That's a difficult question timber .............. are Cheddar and Devon playing together at all?
They play through the crate. I'm working hard on getting Devon to be picked up, then I will do a formal intro with Cheddar. Hopefully it goes according to plan before I go back to school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecto's mum
It would be great if Cheddar could play with Devon. They could wear each other out. Cheddar is obviously in need of a playmate. We keep our dogs and cats separate if we are not supervising them. The 2 big dogs are in the kitchen overnight or if we are out. Scout the terrier is safe to be left with the cats but we stop her from going upstairs. Is there a way to keep Cheddar away from the dogs at night?
Unfortunately the only place would be the bathroom. I have a smallish house with only 2 bedrooms. One is used by us (which I must admit is not kept the most organized) and one upstairs but I have to use that one to do a rotation with 2 dogs that cannot live together. The rest of the house doesn't have doors separating them, only dog gates and the cats would be able to easily climb over them, or through them as they are both still so small.

Catsey Senior

20-08-2014, 03:34 AM   #5

I just bought this and it arrived today. It's pretty big and tall. The dimensions are 36-Inch Long by 23.5-Inch Wide by 50.5-Inch. Do you think it's too small to have both Cheddar and Devon in there together? I thought it might be a good idea to have them together, that way they can burn off energy together during rotations. Also, maybe they can teach each other manners in kitty language.

Catsey Veteran

20-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #6

I would introduce them well first and be sure in yourself that they won't end up fighting. It would be terrible if they were in the crate and decided they wanted to kill each other (I'm not suggesting that would necessarily happen, but as they are both boys ...... )

Catsey Senior

20-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I would introduce them well first and be sure in yourself that they won't end up fighting. It would be terrible if they were in the crate and decided they wanted to kill each other (I'm not suggesting that would necessarily happen, but as they are both boys ...... )
That is what I am afraid of. I wish you guys were here to give me a helping hand. While I love my foster dog, I desperately need her to get adopted. She's been here for about 7 months now. This 3 way rotation is killing me, both by guilt and lack of time. I am a full-time student trying my best to give them all what they need. Sometimes I feel so down. At least I only have one semester left but is so hard.

Catsey Senior

20-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #8

Can anyone give me advice on how to introduce Devon and Cheddar? What if they fight? How do I handle that between 2 cats?

Catsey Veteran

20-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #9

Do you have a space and a friend? If so, I would do it as soon as possible, as they are both still young. You and your friend holding a kitten each and then put them down in front of you ......... a space between them. Maybe have some toys there too, some rolled up bits of paper for them to chase. Just watch them - a certain amount of posturing and hissing will be normal. Each of you should have a towel/cloth handy just in case. If things get aggressive, put the cloth over each kitten and take them away from each other. Just see what happens.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
20-08-2014, 08:49 PM   #10

At least they have seen each other. We have always introduced new cats to each other gradually. We were lucky with The Big Fooze cos he just rolled over when any of the other cats came over to him. He is completely non aggressive. Barnes and Swirl still fight with each other putting up for top cat but they don't do each other any real harm, just a bit of loose fur. Personally I am of the opinion that cats will sort out their own pecking order. We have always had a multi cat household and never really had any trouble. We have had up to 12 cats at any one time. I would suggest that you let Cheddar and Devon get on with it but keep an eye on them. They are both of a similar age and can stand up for themselves, they will sort out the pecking order between them. Good luck rehoming the foster dog.