Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: 1 mixed breed kitten
24-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #21

Re: I'm looking for ways to get my boyfriend off my back about declawing Charlotte

Well I have good news....I finally got it through his head about what exactly declawing entails. I had tried explaining this to him before (many times ), but I think that he just didn't want to listen, so he never tried to understand declawing fully. I even clipped the tippy tips of her nails, just where they started to get sharp, and she did very well during the whole thing...she's so patient and sweet I had Matt hold her while I clipped her claws, and so he saw how quick and easy it was...it took about 3 minutes...I have dogs, so I am used to clipping animal nails anyway. Then he felt the tips of her nails, and said 'oh, well that really did help didnt it??? wow i didnt think it would be that simple' I couldnt resist shooting him an eye roll or three. It's so irritating when people don't listen to sound reasoning. grrrr. It must be me, am I totally stupid or something??? lol geeze

She is also using her scratch post like mad, and she loves catnip, so she definitely took to the scratch post after I rubbed some catnip on it Thank you all so much for your advise and support. Believe me, I asked him many times, ''why did you want to get a cat if you knew that they came with claws???" but it seems as if that "issue" has been solved, thank goodness.....there was no way in hell that I was even going to consider taking her claws from her....over my dead body, I tell you.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #22

Re: I'm looking for ways to get my boyfriend off my back about declawing Charlotte

Thank you so much for the update! So he finally saw reason, thank God. Claw clipping is easy when you start them young, I'm so happy to hear it's worked out well for you and Charlotte.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
24-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #23

Good news indeed.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #24

So very glad - perhaps you can keep bf and cat now!!! Great when the truth of a situation finally clicks.... well done both of you. Good luck to you and to Charlotte. A photo of Charlotte with her lovely paws and claws intact would be much appreciated!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #25

Second the pic request!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
24-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #26

Good news, thanks for keeping us updated.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
25-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #27

Phew - that's good news. Horrible when ignorance leads to so much pain and upset for an otherwise loved pet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
25-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #28

Good news all round

Look forward to pics of Charlotte and learning a bit more about her - she sounds adorable.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH Cats
25-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #29

Well that is wonderful news!
Hope to hear all about your beautiful cat Charlotte & see photos of her too someday

Cats owned: 1 mixed breed kitten
25-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #30

Thank you guys so much for your support....I thought I was going a bit mad for a second there Matt means well, but it's funny....He's an animal person at heart, and since he's been with me, he's begun to let himself act like one more and more (if he really wasn't an animal lover, he wouldn't be able to stand living in our house hehehee). But he comes from a family that really isn't into animals as long term family members....they're very nice people, but they're the type of people that have gotten puppies, kept them for a few months, and then gave them away when they started jumping on the kids or got ''too difficult to handle'' or whatever Definitely not my mindset, that's for sure. He doesn't share that mindset either (I couldn't be with him if he did), but he still kind of fights the fact that he thinks more like an animal person than a non-animal person because of the way he was raised, and so he gets stupid, uninformed ideas in his head, like the whole declawing nonsense. At one point, I had to say to him something along the lines of: "Look, I don't know why you keep bringing the declawing thing up, because it's pointless, and it's never ever EVER going to happen, period. If you didn't want claws on your furniture, we shouldn't have gotten a cat. But we have her now, and she is the sweetest, most loving little thing in the world, and at this point, I'm not going to rehome her since she's clearly become very bonded with us. It wouldn't be fair to her. So that leaves you with 2 options: 1) You can listen to my alternatives to declawing and take me seriously for a change, and we can do what it takes to make a comprimise, like clipping her nails, or 2) You can take your perfect furniture and move somewhere else with it if you find that it's that important to you, because our furniture is replaceable, our pets are not, and I'm putting my foot down about this, and the discussion is closed. If you don't like it, that's not my problem. End of story." And viola, he zipped his lid for five seconds and listened to what I had to say, we clipped her nails, and this whole thing has worked itself out wonderfully. Suprise, suprise. Plus, Charlotte got a little bit of early nail clipping training in. I just don't know why it takes him so dang long to listen to me and to trust that I do know what I'm talking about sometimes lol. sigh....But this is why I happily take care of all the animal related things in the house. Sorry.....end of rant lol

Charlotte is the sweetest kitten I've ever met...she follows me around everywhere and always falls asleep on my lap. She sleeps with me, and I wake up at night to her staring into my face, purring lol....that kind of freaks me out, but it's still very cute hehehee. She's already started bossing my four dogs around; it's nice to have some help keeping them in line!!! lol I gave her her first bath yesterday afternoon, and while she didn't really care for it and she cried almost the whole time, she didn't fight me, and she came right up to me afterwards and layed on my lap. I was afraid that she'd be mad for a day or two lol. We are constantly laughing at her little antics, and she's always using the house as a race track!!! It's hilarious! Let's just say that it didn't take me long to fall in love with the little fuzz ball

Well, I only have one postable picture of her right now....My camera freaked out and died, and so the only way that I can take any pictures is on my cell phone, and I need to get a cable so I can upload them onto the computer. I"ll probably get one this weekend. So thank you all so so much for your help, advise, and understanding....it isn't always easy being the biggest animal person in the house lol. I'm so happy that I found this forum!!!! Here's the lovely Charlotte:

http://images.craigslist.org/3n63kf3...71a1591263.jpg

Have an awesome day everybody, two legged and four legged!!!!! ~Julie