Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
25-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #1

Ripped claw

Yesterday Dylan had been in a fight (yes another one!!! ), he came in with two claws embedded in him (one in his face, one down his back, both came out really easily without Dylan kicking off and no damage that I could see). Yesterday he was due to have his claws trimmed again but he wouldn't let me look to see what damage he'd done to his claws (through fighting). I've had a look today and there's one claw that's bothering me. It looks like Dylan's snapped it fairly near the quick while in the fight, but it's difficult to tell because he's not letting me have a proper look but the broken claw looks like it's got a really rough edge.

Question is, being as I think it's a bit too close to the quick, do I leave it for a few weeks while it grows back a bit then do all his claws together or do I trim the rest of his claws and try to trim down the broken claw?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #2

Re: Ripped claw

He is a bruiser isn't he? He'd be a bare knuckle fighter if he were a bloke!

Is the claw bleeding at all from the quick? If not I'd try and smooth it a bit for him, so at least he doesn't catch it on something.

Catsey Veteran

25-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #3

It's not bleeding but I don't know whether it will if I try trimming it down. It's not an easy break to sort out, it goes diagonally a little as well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #4

What's the alternative to your way of thinking? Vet?

Catsey Veteran

25-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #5

I've now managed to trim the claw back a little to get the edge a bit smoother, don't want to trim it back any further though.

The break didn't look as bad as I first thought it was Part of the claw has split (hence me saying about the rough edge), but the claw hasn't completely broken off (thought it had at first)