Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
19-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #1

Can meowing mean a cat is ill?

You may have read my thread the other day about Oli meowing if somebody isnt with him ...

Well, is it possible he could be meowing because he feels poorly and doesnt want ot be left alone? The reason i ask is because for the last few days (about once a day) he makes a weird noise. It sort of sounds like a sniffing noise - but one that sounds like he is having trouble breathing. A couple of times, when he has made this noise he lies on his tummy with his ears down flat?

Am i just being silly, or do you think this could be a cause for the constant meowing?

Thanks.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
19-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #2

Re: Can meowing mean a cat is ill?

Does it sound like a sort of cough? as if he is trying to cough up a hairball? Perhaps it might be worth popping Oli to the vet for a health check, then you will know once and for all if there are any problems with him?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
19-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #3

Poor Oli, I too think a vet visit is in order.
In answer to your question, yes, cats can and do meow to tell you all sorts of things. With my cats, I trust my instincts even if it means I look or sound foolish to others, including vets.
My old boy Winston, about a year ago began to meow, it sounded harsh and unlike anything I had heard him do in all his years, he was 20 at thew time. Turned out he had high blood pressure.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
19-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #4

I think as cats communicate via their meow (amongst other sounds), he could possibly be trying to tell you something.

As for the coughing? My blue persian, Balie has had this odd cough since he was a kitten. It's not like when he's manufacturing a furball, but more like a honking kind of cough. Vet couldn't find anything and he still does it sometimes but as he's nearly 10 years old I'm not too worried.

Still - I'd probably get Oli checked out by the vet if I were you, just for your own peace of mind.