Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
03-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #21

Re: Rehoming to homeowners only.

As a cat owner (well as far as anyone owns cats) and renter this drives me mad. We moved 7 years ago and yes, it took ages to find a place with landlords who allowed cats but that was simply the main criteria in the search. I'm a responsible cat owner and that is my choice so my choice of home, rented or not, has to encompass their needs- if I move they WILL come along as I won't move until they can!

House prices around Cambridge are just funny

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
03-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats' staff
As a cat owner (well as far as anyone owns cats) and renter this drives me mad. We moved 7 years ago and yes, it took ages to find a place with landlords who allowed cats but that was simply the main criteria in the search.
One of our workers at the Cats Protection moved recently and she said that quite a few of the local estate agents would allow her to keep her cats (there was one agent who would never consider it) and she actually saw 6 properties before having the one she moved into. Before I moved into my current flat I was offered another house which did allow pets (which I did not like because it was in an area which I did not want to live in, which is extremely rough). Fortunately this flat was in the area I wanted to live in (five mins on foot from where I used to live) so that is the reason why. The worker said that if people do look around and not take the first property offered then yes, you can have pets. Of course some agents wanted her to pay an extra £100 just in case her cats caused damage. However I do appreciate that some of it was due to the fact that it was for the fact she worked at Cats Protection that influenced many agents, and also just because it is true in this area, it may not be true for other areas of the country. It also harder if you are claiming Housing Benefit (which a lot of people who have pets and lost their job are finding themselves in) and have pets, as a lot of estate agents dont have a lot of properties which allow Housing Benefit tenants, and therefore there are fewer even still which allow pets. But it is not impossible, and like I said on a previous post, estate agents/private landlords are now opening up more and more to people having pets.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Short haired cross
03-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #23

I didn't realise that any animal resuce organisations took the only prospective animal owners should be home owners either.

From their perspective, they're trying to do their best for animals without a voice. I see that. However, they dismiss such a massive amount of animal lovers with their policy, that is to the animals detriment.

I live in a ground floor Council flat. This in no way hurts my cat.

I have a duty to feed her and give her a place to feel safe in. Oh, I know cats like to live in a clean environment (my cat does). She also needs to know she's loved.

Whether I lived in my own home, or a Council property, my duty to my cat would be the same.

Maybe the solution to this issue is to point out a cat's needs to the rescue organisation's policy makers.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #24

Good point, Gladys; but would those with inflexible rules listen?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixed
03-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #25

I can only add my agreement to others. Why does owning your own home mean you would be a better cat owner! I agree that evidence may have to be provided that the landlord was happy, but other than that what's the difference (assuming that the other sensible criteria is met).

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 blackX and a gingerX
23-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #26

I guess if it would help if you could prove each animal you have owned in the past, how long for etc I guess a vet card could prove the basics.

Surely if somebody has kept all their animals through thick and thin they wouldnt suddendly dump one.

The pattern I have seen of people being irresponsible is generally couples who are after the 'package' got the dog, car,lets get a cat, kids etc
The type who must have an internal list of their perfect life, when something goes wrong though the animals suffer.

I have known people have no interest what so ever in any animal, then they get with somebody and are trying to create a home and animals get dragged into the scene as part of the backdrop.

obviously not everyone just my own experience

I think if you are irresponsible with one animal, you shouldnt be allowed to own again

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 blackX and a gingerX
23-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misspurrfect
I can only add my agreement to others. Why does owning your own home mean you would be a better cat owner! I agree that evidence may have to be provided that the landlord was happy, but other than that what's the difference (assuming that the other sensible criteria is met).
Maybe they are thinking of the types who live in rented and get moved around all the time, as obviously wouldnt be fair on the animals.

But other than that I also dont see the difference, I mean homeowners can sell every couple of years also. I guess there thinking is also they are most likely to pay vets bills and not be waiting until paychecks come in etc

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #28

The senior retirement complex I moved into recently is rental; I wouldn't have even considered a place that didn't allow pets. I had to pay a $100.00 pet deposit which I didn't mind at all.