Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
30-11-2006, 10:02 PM   #1

Books for christmas

Anyone requesting or buying books for Christmas presents if so what.............

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-11-2006, 10:10 PM   #2

Re: Books for christmas

I love cookbooks and cooking; am into Asian, and suggested to a friend that a Japanese cookbook would be welcome....If the new Doreen Tovey were in print here, know at least two people I'd give it to!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
30-11-2006, 10:16 PM   #3

The only book I'm giving is a hardback edition of Winnie-the-Pooh with original illustrations for Dominik.

I despair of the dreadful mess that Disney has turned 'Pooh Bear' into . . . and I want Domi to experience the magic of the A A Milne stories.

Catsey Veteran

30-11-2006, 10:28 PM   #4

Yola, I have no kids, but I simply despise what Disney has done to the beloved childhood stories!! Generations of kids have grown up not knowing the wonder of them, I hope when Domi is older you'll get him a copy of "Wind in the Willows"! And Kipling;s "Just So" stories and of course "The Jungle Book"!! End of rant from opinionated reader!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
30-11-2006, 10:43 PM   #5

I love the original Pooh bear stories, but confess that I also like the Disney versions too! (sorry!)

I have asked for a book about the history of the LSO (London Symphony Orchestra) How sad is that??!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
30-11-2006, 10:43 PM   #6

Eileen - I too hate the 'Disneyfication' of children's stories!

Kenneth Grahame, who wrote Wind in the Willows lived in a Thames-side village called Pangbourne. This is about 4 miles from where I live, and I drive past what was his cottage every day when I used to go into my office - which is a mere 1.5 miles out of Pangbourne .

There is also a Wind in the Willows museum in nearby Henley (you've heard of the famous Henley Regatta - right?). Well the River and Rowing Museum there have a section dedicated to this magical story.

Don't worry - we're both passionate about 'honest' children's literature and Dominik will be likewise we hope!

*Edit to say, Kim - don't apologize please, everyone's entitled to their own likes and dislikes. I don't mean to offend at all either, but it just happens to be a 'pet hate' of mine that's all

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
30-11-2006, 10:46 PM   #7

I want a book called Marley & Me. I've read the condensed version now I want the full book.

My kids love Wind in the Willows. I've read it 3 times to them now

Catsey Veteran

30-11-2006, 10:59 PM   #8

Kim, no offense meant, sorry! Yola: I practically grew up on British children's literature,,,hate to say it, but they're the best; only American author I'd recommend is Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House series (they ruined that on TV!); love the E. Nesbit books, Phoenix and the Carpet, Railway Children, etc. And The Water Babies, and The Secret Garden (although that may be a bit "girly" for a boy...) And Swallows and Amazons...Lord, I am rabbiting on....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
30-11-2006, 11:04 PM   #9

I love Disney....BUT adore books always have the people jump/step out of the pages.

I am thinking of asking for the Gordon Ramsey book?? is it any good does anyone know???

Oh Naomi I have heard Marley and Me issad at the end get the tisues ready girl.

Oh DM you are wrong about American writers... what about Mark Twain?? Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn

And I like Edgar Rice Bupojna Tarzan books too
I adore Edgar Rice Burrows

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
30-11-2006, 11:07 PM   #10

Yola & Eileen - neither of you offended me at all - honest!!! I really can understand what you are both saying. I love childrens literature, The Wind in the Willows stories are enchanting, I love Beatrix Potter, The Railway Children, Tom's Midnight Garden and best of all the Narnia stories. My children grew up on these stories. But I just think there is something quite magical about Disney too.