Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Moggie
14-04-2006, 10:00 AM   #1

Can cats love there owners?

right had this talk with loads of people...many different views....some people say that a cat doesnt care if it is rehomed because they are so indepented (cant spell it) and they dont't felll love for there owners...

but I have to disagree oscar follows me everywhere always has to sleep under my arm and is wanting cuddles 24/7, and if he does wander off he aint far away for me!

want do you think people??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
14-04-2006, 10:02 AM   #2

Re: Can cats love there owners?

of course they love thier owners

all my four do, they love thier fuss and cuddles and hugs and pampering.

Princess follwos me all over the palce,never more than a few feet away. And If Mr Darcy hasnt seen me for a few minutes he comes looking for me.

the moggies are diff, they ARE a lot more indpenedant, but still ahve thier moments when they want fuss

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
14-04-2006, 10:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK
the moggies are diff, they ARE a lot more indpenedant, but still ahve thier moments when they want fuss
Do you belive moggies are less affectionate than purebreeds then Cj???

Catsey Veteran

14-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #4

not less affectionate, just more independant. the moggies WANT to go out, where as the persians want to be near people.
I still believe they all love thier owners though

Catsey Veteran

14-04-2006, 11:02 AM   #5

found this article related to this topic:

Love of a Cat

Cats are said to be independent, aloof, and not in need of company except on their terms. This is true only of some cats; certainly not all. Cats raised by people from an early age either think they are almost human, or that the human is almost a cat.

In fact, throughout a cat-person bond, the two may switch roles without realizing it. On occasion, a cat will bring home a dead or half-dead animal as a token of her love and respect (a touching, if gruesome, method of confirming the bond).

Bringing home “love offerings” of this type is a sign of attachment and belonging. There are others that require less clean up. When the bond is strong, a cat will:

Tend to follow you around. She may not follow immediately, but after a moment or two she might casually saunter into the room where you’re sitting (as if she’s trying to play the whole thing down). Your cat may jump in your lap or may just find a chair nearby. Either way, she prefers to spend time with you.

Become slightly depressed when you leave, and greet you enthusiastically upon your return. She may learn to recognize the sound of your car pulling up and run to the door, expecting your presence.

Send subtle cat signals of affection to you throughout the day. These often take the form of classic “cat kisses” – staring at you adoringly, then squinting or slowly closing her eyes.

Send not-so-subtle signals, such as rubbing her head upon you (marking you with her scent), and of course, purring.

Lying on her back, with her stomach exposed. This is a sign of trust, because your cat is now in a vulnerable position. Many owners mistakenly think this is a request for a belly rub. It usually isn't.

This is a cat’s affection at its most intense. They can’t hold your hand, and they are not given to jumping up and kissing you. There’s no difficulty to describe this sort of relationship as love.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
14-04-2006, 12:01 PM   #6

Of course cats love their owners.
However, I think it's part of the package that is their 'domain'. Owners, warm house, comfy bed, good food.......... all the things they love, together.
Cats don't tend to stay with bad owners - they have the intelligence and the independent streak to either just go, or better still, find themselves a new place.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
14-04-2006, 12:32 PM   #7

Yes I firmly believe my cats love me But the realtionship I had with Lucky, I do not think I will ever have again She adored me, needed me and me her...

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Moggie
14-04-2006, 12:39 PM   #8

oscar love me then always follows me about always in the same room either on my lap or near me always shows his belly and like to pad on my arm at night lmao but with very sharp claws...

strange many people dont think they love you tho strange aint it

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
14-04-2006, 02:09 PM   #9

I would say yes, but the extent depends on the cat as well as the owner - my neighbour used to have an ex-feral who he rarely interacted with cos she was so temperamental - it didn't bother me, I always gave her a fuss and a kiss when I walked in and she knew that I wasn't bothered about her attacking me (mainly my fault for not reading the signs), and would come back 5 mins after attacking me for another fuss, cos she knew she would get it. She would nearly always come home with me to see if she would get a treat, and I played with her too ,which she didn't get at home. I was the only person who ever picked her up, and she trusted me to clip her claws, cos no one else even attempted to do them. I have to say that as Tom is so attached to me, I am slightly worried about how he will cope when we find him a new home (if that ever happens!!) - it is very rare for him not to be in the same room as me, and he follows me a lot!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
14-04-2006, 06:30 PM   #10

I bloomin well hope Mol's love me after all I do feed her, cuddle her, give her fusses etc

It's a completely different show of affection that you get from say....a dog or any other pet but it's still affection