Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: moggie
19-01-2015, 07:23 PM   #1

Rehomed moggie

New to the site and hoping for some suggestions.
Recently homed a cat from an owner who said the cat hadn't settled after moving home.
The cat is petrified of the slightest noise and seems terrified of my poor husband (who is now paranoid!)
We picked him up on 1st Jan and did the recommended things, such as giving him his own room to settle into with his food, water, litter tray and toys. After a week or so he came out to the lounge, but spends all day under the armchair. He eats breakfast at 6, but the rest of the day is under the chair. He doesn't use the tray, eat or drink again until I am home from work. My husband tries to coax him out during the day, but the cat wants none of it!
How can we get him to accept my husband?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
19-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #2

Re: Rehomed moggie

I have had frightened cats and I just left them to it to come round in their own time. As long as he is eating and clean he will be OK. Once he realises your husband is no threat he will come round.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
24-01-2015, 07:04 AM   #3

http://m.feliway.com/uk

Plug in diffuser which helps them to settle & they do work

A wee check up with your vet is always a good idea with new pets x

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
24-01-2015, 10:57 AM   #4

Hi Poshpaws. As the others have said, the poor cat will come round in time. I second the use of feliway when a cat is stressed. It must be very frustrating for your husband, but patience can work wonders. .Good on you for giving this cat a lovely home.

24-01-2015, 05:23 PM   #5

Thanks for responses. Yes, the feliway diffuser was one of the first things I bought (how much?!) Wow, the cat cost less than that!!
The vet has seen him as he had an untreated bite on his leg, and the infection has now thankfully cleared.
He is still frightened around my husband, just about tolerates him stroking him.
We now need to find the right diet for him. He's very loose, not quite constant diarrhoea, but close.

Catsey Senior

24-01-2015, 11:34 PM   #6

Hi Poshpaws. I'm glad your little one is coming round. I took in a Ragdoll that had been thrown out and he had terrible runs. It took 18 months to find a diet that he likes, that suits him and he doesn't get bored with. I feed him small tins of chicken, Encore and Shiny Cat at the moment and I buy 10kg bags of Sanabelle dry food off the internet. I found a grain free diet suits him. Felix pouches, KiteKat and Whiskas really upset his tummy. He has trebled his weight and his fur is beautiful now. He plays like a kitten even though he is 8 and he lives up to his name of The Big Foozy. Hope you find a diet that suits your little one and he better soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
25-01-2015, 03:12 AM   #7

We have three with sensitive digestion

Pro Plan Delicate dry food suits ours

Whatever you try changeover gradually over five days.

As Fecto's mum says the better wet foods such as Encore, Natures Menu & Hi Life better for sensitivities

As for Feliway - Amazon & eBay - look for offers. Much cheaper than vets or pet stores x

26-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #8

I now know whiskas seems to be the devils food! That was the first food we'd given him, he loved it but the litter tray soon told the tale he has been on IAMS in the morning and I have been cooking him chicken for evenings, but he's still loose. I have now bought Purina one sensitive, and will try Hi Life too. We'll keep trying a little at a time.

Catsey Senior

26-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #9

It may be worth a trip to the vet to see if he has an infection. Big Fooze had to have antibiotics at the very start, only for a week though.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
12-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #10

And getting back briefly to his feelings around your OH, when your OH makes eye contact, speak cat language, slowly blink..this means 'everything's ok, I'm no threat'. My Birman was very traumatised when 1st adopted and hid in the chimney breast for 3 days, then when he did come out he spent 2 weeks hiding behind the tv cabinet, I spent many an hour lying beside him 'blinking' at him and making friends, slowly but surely he came round.