Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
30-09-2014, 11:20 PM   #21

Re: Raw food diet?

Fecto is the only one who eats raw food. Barnaby will only eat dry. Big Fooze likes cooked ham or chicken, Inky only likes cooked ham, Swirl eats a bit of wet food but mostly dry. So saying, they are all big, fat and furry.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: American shorthairs
01-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #22

I had people tell me dry food is like eating cheetoos for us. I told them that is ok, I eat cheetoos and I am fine
They will eat what they want to eat.
Not sure if we're right. Sometimes it is better just to enjoy the life we are given. Weather we are cats are people
Jill

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
01-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #23

One thing is for sure , Jill, if my cats don't want to eat something, they won't, end of. I believe in letting cats be cats, not what I think they should be.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Two rescues and one feral
01-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecto's mum
We give the dogs raw eggs mixed in their food, never thought about the cats. Our eggs are free so you can't get much cheaper than that. May try oats, they are dirt cheap if you get the supermarket own brand. We share a chicken with the cats and dogs. One chicken will do us 2 meals and plenty for Fecto and Big Fooze and the dogs have the carcass.
Takes me back to when I had a smallholding and the eggs in summer! OH MY! I used to freeze them; whisk them up, pour into a freezer bag inside a loaf tin or plastic box and freeze, then take out of the box to store.. fed the cats all winter like that.

Cannot remember when I started feeding oats.. used to get the by the great sack

Catsey Junior

01-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet
Thank goodness all of our cats eat whatever is put in front of them. We have a wee dog that isn't so easy to feed but her health isnt 100% so have to go with the flow
Cannot afford faddy and my cats and dogs know it!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Short-haired cats
03-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #26

I feed my dog raw. It doesn't work with my cats. Hiro throws it back out, and only feeding raw to one doesn't work for me. So they now eat either Orijen or Cosma nature. Both grain free -- Suki is allergic to grains.

Catsey Junior

05-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #27

Ran out of raw chicken so opened a tin for my two indoor cats.... they took one sniff and turned their furry backs on it then one went and peed in the dog's bed.....must shop tomorrow!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
10-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutsfriend
I talked to people who feed raw. I don't have the time or patience. They love it Say the cats are healthier. So if you can, do.
I fear bacteria in it. Big question in my mind.
Personally I would never feed raw, having looked into it and found that even the BARF diet states it should not be fed to immunocompromised animals, says to me bacteria is an issue. Can you imagine if a commercially produced food stated this.
I feed bozita, a high meat content wet food. The cats do well on it and enjoy it, once I manage to wean the newbies off whiskas and such like.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
11-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #29

Bacteria is not all bad!! And not a massive issue in raw feeding, not for healthy cats. Sure if your cat is immunocompromised it's not worth taking any risk but you'll also be doing a lot more than just watching what they eat.

You can be pretty safe in eating almost all meat raw, except chicken. I have eaten all kinds of meat raw and never had a problem, so why would my cats when they're designed to eat wild animals?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
12-11-2014, 12:14 AM   #30

I will never feed raw, I know cats are probably less at risk compared to dogs, but I feed good quality cooked food and have no issues with their diet.