Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
17-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #61

Re: Cute Kittens

Well done Elaine for starting this thread and I agree with everything you have said. (but you probably knew I would!!) When I saw the thread about that Velvet.tears's cats litter I was totally appalled and even more appalled that people were cooing over them!! Of course all kittens are gorgeous, but it is so very wrong to breed from them, I have seen the scale of unwanted cats and kittens and adding to that number is totally irresponsible. Why on earth wasn't the mum neutered and the dad castrated?? Posting pictures of members rescue kittens are completely different of course.

I definitely think Catsey should have some sort of charter stating we are definitely against the indescriminate breeding of cats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
17-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #62

Maybe we could have something in the guidlines like....

We do not accept members who are commercial breeders or kitten traders.
We expect breeders to adhere to relevant breed society/club ethics and that all apropriate health checks performed.
We reserve the right to refuse or terminate the membership of anyone breeding found not to be acting in the best interests of their cat/s, this includes the indiscriminate breeding of moggies.

or

Breeding from your queen Before choosing a stud you should consider why you wish to mate your queen. Remember that you are planning a litter of kittens for your sake, not for hers; there may be birth complications and she may even need a caesarean section, so if you planned to have a litter of kittens for her sake, have her spayed instead.

Open to constructive critisism only or I'll cry
I dunno, just trying to get the ball rolling really I guess...............

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
17-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #63

I haven't read the thread that seems to have finally triggered this one, but this is something that has bothered me for a long time. In honesty, if people really care about their animals ( on many fronts, not just breeding) it is very easy to get info if you have a computer- and you can also easily get lots of different points of views, so why do we still have people coming on here and asking questions about 'what to do next' after the event, or 'my animal is ill, but can't afford the vet, what should I do'.
Sadly I don't think these people will ever change, and I have no idea why they come on forums like this. Education is the way to go, but we have to accept some people have different views as to 'what is good for their animal' and that these people will never change.
In honesty I have pretty much given up, animals are now disposable or a source of money. We rehomed 2 kittens to a couple who had 2 youngsters previously, their kittens were loved dearly but they both died with Felv before they were a year- in fact the whole litter was dead before its first birthday!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
17-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #64

What would we suggest we put on it

Catsey Veteran

17-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet
What would you suggest is put on it?
See post 62

Catsey Veteran

18-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #66

Its just me but I think something should put in it to emphasise what a big responsibility it is bringing new life ie kittens into the world and their ultimate future. If you "breed" a litter of kittens it should be your responsibility to ensure that new owners are encouraged to get the kitten spayed/neutered - why should the responsibility just "stop" when the kittens are homed. If you have 3 females in the litter by the time they are 6/7 months they could [if like Amber they come into season early] produce another 12 - 15 kittens between them. Whilst the two male kittens that are not neutered can go around sire-ing [sp?] every female in their vicinity or beyond [and maybe get lost themselves] - give examples in the charter "if" it makes people think.

Take Amber - if her original owners had really wanted her back, I am sure they would have been able to do so as the area she was picked up straying isnt huge. She got lost at a time when kittens in rescue were bursting at the seams in the summer. It was probably easier to go out and get another kitten than make an effort to try and find her

I also think that when compiling a charter it might be a good idea to mention that all kittens/cats should be microchipped. You can get this done when the kitten/cat is being spayed/neutered

Think I have gone a bit off topic -Oops

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 DSH and a Siamese
18-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #67

Hmmm, I don't know why, but I assumed the Velvet Tears litter was from a rescued female(pregnant at time of rescue), as she said she didn't know how far along she was....didn't know she was purposely bred or wouldn't have cooed.

Catsey Veteran

18-12-2010, 10:04 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobster
Hmmm, I don't know why, but I assumed the Velvet Tears litter was from a rescued female(pregnant at time of rescue), as she said she didn't know how far along she was....didn't know she was purposely bred or wouldn't have cooed.
No Kobster, she said that she "wanted" to breed a litter of kittens and that Gizmo, one of her unneutered males was the dad.

Catsey Veteran

18-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #69

Velvet, what you say s right but it may get very very long winded to get into every avenue. I was thinking, but I may be wrong, that what we needed was a simple guide to state that we do NOT condone or support irresponsible breeding. Maybe at some point some one or several people could write an article/s about breeding that people could view, which would go into all the facts in more depth.

Catsey Veteran

18-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Velvet, what you say s right but it may get very very long winded to get into every avenue. I was thinking, but I may be wrong, that what we needed was a simple guide to state that we do NOT condone or support irresponsible breeding. Maybe at some point some one or several people could write an article/s about breeding that people could view, which would go into all the facts in more depth.
Yep youre right, i just get carried away on my soap box.

Must admit i thought OP only had two entire cats (though that was bad enough) - the female & the male, having one female & 3-4
entire males is not good. No wonder the poor cats litter was so big. OP mustnt realise kitts can have more than one dad - reason they didnt realise how far gone mum was.

Its not a good situation at all for the poor nursing cat.