Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: NA
12-12-2016, 09:02 PM   #1

Cat on the sofa?

Hello everyone
I am Paulina and I really love cats. I am considering buying a kitten (a long-furred breed of cat, such as a Maine coon ) next year, but I do have a question- should pet cats be allowed on furniture?
I do not want to attempt to 'degrade' the feline by not allowing her on the sofa, for instance, but I do not want the cat to climb all over the place too, since it is a really annoying thing to clean away cat hair.
Do you let your cats on furniture? Why/why not?
Thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
12-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #2

Re: Cat on the sofa?

I let my girls on the furniture - it's called furniture because it's permanently covered in fur from both of them

Cats decide where they want to go and you can't really tell an adult cat that it can't go on a particular item of furniture, it's probably different for kittens (all mine have been adult rescues)

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
13-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #3

Hi Paulina and welcome to Catsey. I have five cats and they all climb on my lounge suite and sleep on it. I wouldn't have it any other way. It is easy to cover the suite with thin blankets to keep off most of the cat fur anyway.My cats have climbing frames and sleep platforms inside but they still always end up on the lounge suite. Lots of luck with your new kitty when you get it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
14-12-2016, 08:55 AM   #4

Hi Paulina welcome to catsey.

My 2 along with my 2 dogs are on the couch with us whenever they want to be. The cats also generally sleep beside me in our bed!

Wouldn't have it any other way ��

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic shorthair
01-01-2017, 10:43 PM   #5

Cats don't understand the concept of degradation, but you might as well let them on the furniture, because they'll sit there anyway. Squeegees are good for getting cat hair off things.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
08-01-2017, 07:16 AM   #6

Good luck trying to keep a cat off somewhere it wants to go. I gave up a very long time ago.

If you are very houseproud and dont like pet hair then you really need to think is a cat esp a long haired cat for you.
You have the option of hairless cats - that might be something for you to look into.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
10-01-2017, 03:12 PM   #7

I would add that a long-haired breed is better for fur control than short haired. The fur from my Persians just rolls off and doesn't embed itself like shorter car fur does.

Good luck - I hope you enjoy your new kitten when it arrives.