Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: british short hair
16-12-2014, 10:44 PM   #1

Hi all, I have just been told about this forum by another cat lover, mainly because I am looking for information on CRF.

My wonderful moggie is now 13 yrs old and didn't have the best start in life as a kitten. He and his sister came to me at 8 weeks old with cat flu, fleas, diarrhoea, and the vet said if I could get them to 6months I'd be laughing so here we are 13 years later. Unfortunetly his sister died in 2011, just a couple of weeks before her 11th birthday.

Anyway, Salem has now been diagnosed with Kidney Disease and we are having a hard time of it

I shant go on about it in this post, just wanted to say hello

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
16-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #2

Re: Newbie

Welcome Black Cat. Not very clued up on kidney disease in cats I'm afraid. I do know Royal Canin do a special food for cats with renal problems. Its cheaper over the internet than at the vets. I love black cats, we only have one black one out of 6, Inky. Salem is a great name for a black cat. I hope someone on here can help you , I'm sure there will be someone with knowledge of kidney problems in cats.

16-12-2014, 11:03 PM   #3

I've been speaking with Elaine on [Sys edit: Contains pet forums], it was Elaine who told me about this forum

Salem was named after the Salem cat that is in Sabrina the teenage witch lol (not the witches or the town called Salem) he's such a loving boy, I don't know what I'd do without him in my life...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-12-2014, 11:35 PM   #4

Hi Black Cat13 - so sorry to hear about Salem. My dear old boy Merlin had kidney problems for many years and was the reason I joined Catsey, looking for advice and help. Elaine is the best person to help with knowledge, experience and information about the disease. Poor Salem, it sounds as if you've done a really good job with his care to get him to 13 and I do sympathise with how you are feeling.

You will find useful information here: http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=25488

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Short-haired cats
17-12-2014, 12:55 AM   #5

Welcome!
I'd recommend wet food for kitties with kidney failure.
Good luck!

17-12-2014, 06:33 PM   #6

Salem has had a tummy upset which is why he hasn't been eating too well, I woke up this morning to a nasty mess on the bathroom floor. I originally thought it was the dog because of the volume, but then I found some spots of it on my bed. He's been to the vet and has now got some probiotics and on a bland diet for a few days. He's clearly feeling better as he's demanding food again

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #7

It's good that he's wanting to eat - hope it continues.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
18-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #8

Welcome to Catsey, Black Cat.Sorry to hear that Salem is unwell.It is good that he wants to eat and is demanding food. I had a terrible time trying to encourage one of my cats to eat anything when he was in renal failure.I do hope that Salem continues to do well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
18-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #9

Hello and welcome to catsey

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
18-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #10

Hi Black cat, glad you have joined this small fold of good folks. I am pleased Salem is feeling a wee bit better and enjoying his food again. Long may it continue, if you need anything just shout. xxx