Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #1

iPad or Kindle???

Here's just a query for you to give your opinions on ....... would you go for an iPad rather than a Kindle (or equivalent)? iPad is more versatile but of course a lot more expensive .... what do you think? I'd be very interested if you have either one. I see Yola got an iPad for Christmas and I know several of you have Kindles

Thanks!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
28-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #2

Re: iPad or Kindle???

iPad - using it now. The iStore has it's own iBooks or iLibrary to get books from. Lot are free & others are from 69p. I have books downloaded to iPad & iTouch

iPads are just so versitable. You can download the BBC & ITV iPlayers where you can watch tv. Download films etc.

You have the web (rarely use laptop) emails & video calling

The only draw back is if you are a typist - the onscreen keypad gets a bit of getting used to. I type fast & it doesn't work that way. However that aside it's the best bit of equipment I have ever invested in, apart from the iPhone

Can't recommend them highly enough

My sister has a Kindle & loves it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
28-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #3

Isn't a kindle just for reading books? An iPad is very different and similar to a laptop in many ways. I have an iPad and love it, am using it to type this! I mainly use it to search the internet and go on my forums, but have watched iplayer and ITV player on it, also send and receive emails, use it as an iPod and can take photos and videos! Very versatile. I agree that the keyboard takes a bit of getting used to though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #4

The iPad screen seems terribly small to me and I think the lack of a real keyboard would bother me. I'm happy with my desktop for internet access; love the
Kindle: portability, price, ease of use......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
28-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #5

ipads sound great but i can't comment as i've never had one. Have just got a kindle for christmas so it's early days for that.
I think you can only download books from amazon but that's fine for me. There is a section where you can get free books, think it's once they have been out of copyright for a certain number of years. There are books ranging from a few pence upwards. I downloaded two yesterday, one free and the other not, it took about 30 seconds to download from my laptop to the kindle.

Global Moderator

28-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #6

I think it depends what you want to use it for...... I'm an iPad owner myself (my son has a Kindle) and I'd say the iPad is the one to choose if you're interested in downloading apps, playing games, watching video, going on the internet and so on. The one thing the iPad struggles with is providing a good reading experience. If you're looking to do a lot of reading on the device, I would choose a Kindle - the reason being that the iPad is quite heavy to hold for a long period of time, and it's almost impossible to read on its glossy screen when outdoors. The Kindle seems like a near perfect reading experience and you can read it outdoors without any difficulty. I know the iPad has iBooks but the Kindle has the benefit of Amazon and its enormous catalogue behind it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #7

Thanks Mags - it really is horses for courses, isn't it?

Thanks everyone for your views - I've still not decided, but the criteria at least is clearer in my head!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
29-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #8

Great post Mags, I agree, I think it depends what you want it for! I bought my OH a kindle for Christmas and he loves it, but only wants it to read books, whereas I want to do a lot more on my iPad. Kindles were designed for reading books, so i agree that if that's what you want to do, that does the job best!

Catsey Veteran

29-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #9

good point Mags, they are two very different machines.
according to Howard a Kindle's screen is not backlit like a computer, the page is designed to resemble paper.
I did some reading on mine for the first time last night and was pleased to note that i didn't need my reading glasses, you can adjust the size of the text but i found i didn't need to. It's very light and comfy to use, i need to read the booklet to see if there's an easy way to get back to the first few pages as sometimes i need to recap.
I'm reading a free book about the development of Broadmoor hospital and some of it's victorian inmates, very jolly stuff, lol

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
02-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #10

The new kindle is going to have more on it but at the moment definitely just for reading. The ipad gives a much better all round experience but without the benefit of flash which some of the other tablets do have. Unfortunately apple do seem to have cornered the tablet market.