Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #21

Re: Dehydration causes???

Was she able to come home, Charlie?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
19-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #22

How is she? If you've brung her home give her a kiss from us please

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
19-10-2007, 09:38 PM   #23

I spoke to Charlie a little while ago, Abi isn't home, there was a little complication, she's ok but stopping in over night. I'm sure Charlie will be along at some point to explain. I think Charlie will be able to collect her in the morning.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
19-10-2007, 09:55 PM   #24

Thanks Fran

Yes, I went to collect Abi tonight but there was a problem removing her drip and a small piece of plastic from the cathater broke off and got stuck in her vein The vet had to keep her in to sedate her and make an incision to get it out They got it out fine and have glued the wound closed and I should be able to get her back in the morning.

As for the dehydration problem they are still no further forward in finding out what the underlying cause is They got a urine sample and there was no glucose in her urine - so diabeties can be ruled out.

They are just waiting for the results of the haemotology that they have sent away. They should be back tomorrow morning or Monday. If those results are normal, then they will have to start looking at some more unusual illnesses

The vet said that Abi is a bit of a puzzle to them! They can see that she's not right, but they are running out of tests to do to find out why

At least my little girl will be home tomorrow.

No nights out for me for a while now - I'm £240 lighter!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
19-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #25

Have your Vets considered "hyperglycemia" greasy coat and lethargy etc.. are symptoms. It can be bought on by stress too. related to diabetes, but I think you need blood glucose levels checked not urine.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
20-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #26

Charlie, has she started doing anything else strange, like licking concrete?? a lot of the symptoms you describe (esp. the greasy coat) are the same as when Lucy had lymphomas, I hope it isn't anything as serious as that.

Good luck and I will be keeping everything crossed.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
20-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #27

Aww Charlie. I'm so sorry it's not better news. Poor Abi! and of course poor you!

I hope the Vet gets to the bottom of it. (((()))) Hugs.

Catsey Veteran

20-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Have your Vets considered "hyperglycemia" greasy coat and lethargy etc.. are symptoms. It can be bought on by stress too. related to diabetes, but I think you need blood glucose levels checked not urine.
I'm not sure Dawn I know that they checked glucose in her blood, but they decided that the slight elevation was caused by stress. I'll have a look at hyperglycemia on the internet and see if any other symptoms match up.

Thank you

Catsey Veteran

20-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
Charlie, has she started doing anything else strange, like licking concrete?? a lot of the symptoms you describe (esp. the greasy coat) are the same as when Lucy had lymphomas, I hope it isn't anything as serious as that.

Good luck and I will be keeping everything crossed.
Hmmmmmmmmmm I've not noticed her doing anything odd like licking concrete. I'll keep an eye out though. Thanks for the tip!

The vets did mention lymphomas - but I think they were ruling it out due to Abi not being very old (only about 3 years old).

Thank you though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
20-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #30

I'm really sorry Abi is so poorly again Charlie. I do hope they find out what it is because they are treating the symptoms that keep reoccurring and its frustrating for you. Trouble is Abi can't tell you if anything else hurts etc. It is best that the vet does a process of elimination of the obvious illnesses but it may be best not giving her dry food at all at the moment if that may add even slightly to her dehydration.
Has she had anything unusual that she may have had 6 weeks ago? different food? walked on anything wet that she may have licked off her paws? maybe disinfectant or something she may be having a reaction to? I'm sure you have thought of all of these things it's just puzzling isn't it?

Big hugs Charlie and Abi and I hope you have some clarity soon. X