Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Moggy
12-10-2016, 05:36 PM   #1

Synulox 50g - problems taking

I've given this palatable anti-biotic many times over the years to my cats but Smudge won't eat them. We've tried the holding the mouth open and forcing him, but it's too traumatic for him and he just leaves it if crumbled into his food however hungry he is. The vet would rather he have this particular anti-biotic for the bite on his tail than an injection one so can anyone suggest other ways, not traumatic to the cat, to get him to take these necessary tablets? Thanks in anticipation.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
12-10-2016, 08:19 PM   #2

Re: Synulox 50g - problems taking

Hi Londoner and welcome to Catsey. I have a suggestion . If this antibiotic can be crushed , then mix it into a tiny amount of butter and just smear it all around the cats mouth/lips. Smudge will lick it off. This was what my vet told me when my cats had cat flu recently and it worked well. They, too, refused to open their mouths but would spend ages licking the butter off their lips. Good luck and I hope Smudge's tail heals soon.

Cats owned: Moggy
12-10-2016, 11:55 PM   #3

Thank you Dinky, certainly worth a try.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
14-10-2016, 08:22 PM   #4

My boy was on anti biotic for about 6 weeks Aswell as big capsules. We wrapped it in chicken and he took it then when he stopped we used squeeze cheese!! The capsules we had to use a pill pusher to get it in his mouth as it was essential for his liver x