Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ragdoll.
06-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #91

Re: Kitten prices

Its a sad fact that people use cats to make money you only need to look in all the free ads to see it dsh kittens being sold for £20 to £100 and most haven't had any vet treatment but when there are people out there that will pay the money it isnt going to stop , then on the other hand you have free kittens what happens to them from what I hear some of them are used for more breeding or sent to labs for tests ect,

People are now selling crosses for £190 +, I know when I got my ragdoll I had to sign a contract saying that I would have her spayed and had to supply proof to the breeder before I got my pedagree cert .

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: selkirk rex, ragdoll
22-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #92

sounds like they just after money.ive seen moggies advertised for free, some £20 or £30 but £100 is way too much
i did read though that no one should sell them forfree ortoo cheaply too stop people buying them for testing

Cats owned: Birman, Moggie.
25-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #93

I think that if people ask a reasonable amount for moggie kittens say £40-80 then it helps prevent people buying on a whim. I'd hope that some of the money they get from the sale of kittens would go to pay for the neutering of the mum, dad or both.
I believe that if someone is prepared to pay that kind of money for a kitten then they will also be less likely to balk at paying for vaccinationas and future neutering. I know there are people who wouldn't want to pay for a kitten and also wouldn't dream of forking out £60 for vaccinations for the kitten or consider paying for neutering, possibly adding to the number of kittens down the line.
In the past I have had cats that have come to me as very low cost kittens but they got the same treatment as any cat that I paid £300 for.

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
25-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #94

I must admit that I paid £100 each for my moggie kittens (my adult was a rescue from the RSPCA and I dont really consider his adoption fee as a price). I would desperately have loved to adopt a kitten from a rescue; however the same RSPCA that we got Frazier from would not entertain us due to the fact that we work full time. Even when I applied to have Frazier, an adult cat of approx. 3 years old, the woman who took my application was very difficult with me. I distinctly got the impression that she was very smug and took great satisfaction in turning people that werent deemed "suitable" down. Conversely, the lady who did the homecheck was lovely. Then there is also the issue of the rescue not being open after 4pm, which makes getting to them at any time except weekends really hard and consequently its almost impossible to get there when there are still kittens available. I suppose all of this just sounds like excuses, but I really did find it very demoralising trying to find a kitten to rescue. I really didn't want to bring another adult into the house as Frazier can be a bit unpredictable with "strange" adult cats, but is fine with kittens.

Reese came in very poor condition upon reflection (stupid inexperienced me didnt realise at the time) and has been difficult to bring up. I was told he had been wormed and flead; although he didnt have any symptoms of worms, I did notice when he got home that he was crawling with fleas, which was an nightmare as he was too small to treat with spot-on (only the horrible Frontline spray which is a pain in the butt to use) and Frazier is allergic to fleas! Unfortunately I think this was an example of a very poor breeder churning out kittens, and I would not knowingly support such a scenario again.

Noah on the other hand (touch wood) is an absolute angel so far, and had been flead prior to me getting him. His siblings were being rehomed to family, which I found quite endearing. He was also well-used to being handled and is quite independent. I have no issues with paying the money I did for him, as he has clearly been raised with love and care. £100 is around average in the area I live, with some people advertising for even more and still managing to sell. I dont necessarily think that it is correct practise, but at the end of the day I wouldnt have my boys any other way. Their cost hasnt been influential in how they have been raised with me; if they had been free I would have treated them exactly the same!

Cats owned: Kitten
29-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #95

I paid £35 for my little fluffball. The lady is getting her cats neutered soon so the money went towards that and also to weed out some impulse buyers and bad people. At the same time I saw the advert there were some others who wanted £150 for a non-pedigree kitten, I could hardly believe my eyes. At that price it was so obvious they were just after making money.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Norwegian Forest Cat
Loki_2hot is Male
05-04-2010, 03:11 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Poor little cat! But in truth, would you pay £100 for a little moggie? Perhaps I'm really behind the times and I can't speak, as I've never paid any money for either of my cats. Merlin was passed on to me and it was either that or he would have been "disposed of" and Smudge chose me to be her carer.
christ that's about A$250 you could go to the RSPCA and get 2 that have been desexed and all their needles for the same price

Catsey Junior

Loki_2hot is Male
05-04-2010, 03:14 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by laragreg

Its a sad fact that people use cats to make money you only need to look in all the free ads to see it dsh kittens being sold for £20 to £100 and most haven't had any vet treatment but when there are people out there that will pay the money it isnt going to stop , then on the other hand you have free kittens what happens to them from what I hear some of them are used for more breeding or sent to labs for tests ect,

People are now selling crosses for £190 +, I know when I got my ragdoll I had to sign a contract saying that I would have her spayed and had to supply proof to the breeder before I got my pedagree cert .
down here unless your a register breeder all kittens are sold desexed, wormed and fully vac's

Cats owned: British shorthair
08-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki_2hot
christ that's about A$250 you could go to the RSPCA and get 2 that have been desexed and all their needles for the same price
I went down this route.

Catsey Junior

Loki_2hot is Male
09-04-2010, 03:12 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by laragreg

lets admit it doesn't matter what type of animal it is, there is always some one who will make a quick buck on it as they see it if a registed breeder can do it so can I and to make more just cut corners, down here in spring/summer the rspca had free desexing for cats. I think dogs could have been included but its a step in the right direction

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
13-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki_2hot
lets admit it doesn't matter what type of animal it is, there is always some one who will make a quick buck on it as they see it if a registed breeder can do it so can I and to make more just cut corners, down here in spring/summer the rspca had free desexing for cats. I think dogs could have been included but its a step in the right direction
I would just like to point out that genuine breeders who do everything correctly e.g. Feed good quality food to all their cats not just the kittens, vaccinate, test for possible hereditary conditions in their particular breed, keep the kittens until after the vaccinations, register, give kitten packs may, if they are lucky, break even but very very rarely make a quick buck.

I object to being labelled alongside people who mate any breed/colour/pattern with any other breed/colour/pattern regardless of Breeding Policies, don't vaccinate and sell the kittens at 6 - 8 weeks of age. Those people do make money out of their kittens and at the detriment of the kittens, parents of the kittens and the breed involved. Genuine breeders do not.