Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy
14-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #1

Fat Lad

Well Oliver is now over 9kg He has been at Vet today to have Blood/Urine tests.

He was supposed to be staying in over night but Vet thinks he would be happier at Home(nothing to do with the fact he was screaming the place down then )

I'm really worried about this weight he has turned so so Lazy and unless I can get him to move I cant see the weight coming off.

So any handy tips to get my handsome Fat lad thin would be greatly appreciated

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
14-12-2006, 08:05 PM   #2

Re: Fat Lad

Has the vet put Oliver onto a low fat diet or prescription diet at all? A lot of vets now have weight clinics for obese cats.
You have to be extremely carefull when it comes to reducing a cats food, especially if the cat is over weight as it may end up with Hepatic Lipidosis which can be very tricky to reverse.
If its excercise tips you are looking for, laser pens are a good way to get a cat moving, just be carefull not to over do it initially.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
14-12-2006, 08:09 PM   #3

My vet told me I had to cut down on Cassie's food last year. I used to give her three quarters of a can of Whiskas a day....

I was told to cut her down to half a tin a day, given in small amounts over 5 or 6 meals throughout the day. Within two to three months I could see the difference in her weight...

Has your vet suggested anything to you ...?

Catsey Junior

14-12-2006, 08:15 PM   #4

Laser pen great idea Thank you.

He starts a Diet today 40g of Royal Canin Dry a Day and Half a Sachet of Wet to mix with it.

He has been on this before with no Luck but as he is no longer going out apart from going too toilet. I don't think he is being fed anywhere else now so will give it another go.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
14-12-2006, 08:39 PM   #5

Good luck - it's often amazing how much they will play once you start them going. You will probably have to instigate it though. Laser pen is a great idea and so are all the 'thing on a stick' type toys.

Catsey Junior

14-12-2006, 09:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Good luck - it's often amazing how much they will play once you start them going. You will probably have to instigate it though. Laser pen is a great idea and so are all the 'thing on a stick' type toys.
He has every type of 'Thing on a stick' he will lay down and try and catch it as long as he does not have to move more than his front feet

I think its going to be very hard, but Im happy to do whatever it is to help him lose it.
My Pet hate has always been people that allow there pets to get fat!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
14-12-2006, 10:54 PM   #7

Have you seen this thread Amie? http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...135#post323135
Might be just the thing to get your lad frisking around and shedding the flab!

Catsey Junior

15-12-2006, 12:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Have you seen this thread Amie? http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...135#post323135
Might be just the thing to get your lad frisking around and shedding the flab!

Thanks will give it ago

As from tomorrow this Boy is No longer going to be laying around getting fat

I will be taking him up the Garden at least 10 times a Day then he will have to walk(hopefully run ) back to the House and up the stairs if he wants to go back to bed

Also talked Husband into making him a activity centre, he did not want too until he saw how much they charge for them.
He regretted straight away saying he could make a better one for half the price

Catsey Junior

15-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #9

Well Oliver went back to Vets Today as he is straining to go poo, he spent day in.

He was going to have a Xray but Vet gave him a enema first and that has helped so she feels there is no need yet to do the Xray. Hopefully we will have no further problems over weekend.

Catsey Junior

17-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #10

Ollie is fine now

Elaine the Laser Pen was a brilliant idea, Ollie loves it I have never seen him move so fast Im building up his exercise in 5 mins slots as not to over do it.

Thanks Im sure I will have a slim Cat soon. I will take before and after pictures.